I don't see NoScript 5.1.5 (ability to allow/disallow)

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
AnonMc

I don't see NoScript 5.1.5 (ability to allow/disallow)

Post by AnonMc »

It's Nov 13 and I notice I don't see NoScript 5.1.5 (ability to allow/disallow). I am still on Firefox 56.0.2. Is this something on my end or something on NoScript's end? There was a similar issue with an update to NoScript 1-2 months ago if I remember correctly. Why does this add-on seem so unstable compared to others (Ghostery, AdblockPlus etc) or is that just my imagination?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
name000000

Re: I don't see NoScript 5.1.5 (ability to allow/disallow)

Post by name000000 »

It's not an unstable add-on, but it's developer needs to learn firefox 57's radically different API. Mozilla don't seem to be finalising the design of this API until release date. If I were you I'd go to firefox ESR (based on ver 52) until such time as Noscript get's released for ver 57, or 58 depending on how long it takes Giorgio Maone to learn the new API.

Talking of unstable though, when you downgrade to the ESR version you might want to disable some other add-ons, I've found adblock plus runs very badly and causes freezing in firefox ESR, NoScript runs perfectly in it though.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

AnonMc wrote:I notice I don't see NoScript 5.1.5 (ability to allow/disallow).
What options do you have in your NoScript menu?
What are your settings in NoScript Options > Appearance?
AnonMc wrote:Why does this add-on seem so unstable compared to others (Ghostery, AdblockPlus etc) or is that just my imagination?
You run Ghostery and NoScript side-by-side? That's not recommended. Ghostery has been known not to always play nice with NoScript and other addons.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
AnonMc

Post by AnonMc »

Just to give an update. I checked the Appearance section and everything is checked. I think the thing that is missing is the "contextual menu" (the thing that pops down on sites). Now I need to right click each page to see if anything is blocked. I did not change anything with any settings. It just stopped working one day very recently (suspiciously NoScript updated recently). I also tried disabling Ghostery.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

AnonMc wrote:It just stopped working one day very recently (suspiciously NoScript updated recently).
Does installing an older version of NoScript restore the contextual menu?

Old NoScript @
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions / https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions/beta
*or*
https://noscript.net/feed?c=100&t=a
-
AnonMc

Post by AnonMc »

It's a moot point, Firefox updated to Firefox Quantum and now NoScript doesn't work at all. Sigh.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

AnonMc wrote:It's a moot point, Firefox updated to Firefox Quantum and now NoScript doesn't work at all. Sigh.
You could temporarily roll back to Firefox 56.0.2 until NoScript Webext comes out.
-
benaryorg

Post by benaryorg »

I've had no problem running Quantum (58b1) with NoScript, I did just restart into 58b4 and NoScript broke.
It seems that you *can* set all the appearance settings again, but everytime you open the options dialogue it's all cleared of any settings.
There seems to be a problem with that, all the other stuff still works fine for me, I'll have to do some more testing though.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0

Post by Guest »

Yep, that's it, persistence of settings seems to be broken, along with *all* of the sites I manually set to "trusted".
This also makes it impossible to allow a site, because on reload it is immediately untrusted, due to missing persistence.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0