Firefox 57 and NoScript

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Mancunian_Nick

Re: Firefox 57 and NoScript

Post by Mancunian_Nick »

Hi. I realised I was trying to post this in the wrong thread (Firefox 56) so am writing here instead. :)

As a user of NoScript for a while with Firefox, I was disappointed to note that the icon had disappeared from where it was before once I upgraded to v 57.0. NoScript is no longer searchable via the Mozilla Firefox add-ons, which it always has been, so I came here to download it directly. I've just tried again and getting the following message when clicking on the green install button - NoScript could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 57.0!

I read the latest release notes and notice you're working on the problem in Firefox 57 "Quantum" whatever that is ... is that a general name for version 57.0 or another alternative version of it? Also I notice from other posts in here people referring to a version called "Nightly" and have no idea what that is either (sorry if I'm showing my ignorance here! :P) but any advice/help on this would be very much appreciated. Also is this what you refer to as Georgio working on the issue - for FF 57.0 presumably you mean? If so I will be patient a little longer but it's really frustrating how bad this version of FF is but I don't want to go off-topic so I'll leave it there. :)

Thanks very much. Nick
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

Post by Guest »

WTF wrote:
firefox user wrote:Don't get impatient friends. The release of Mozilla 57 took us all by surprise.

I wish they would have announced the release a few months in advance.
it was *years* ago announced that the old extension API will get removed and it was months in advance announced that this will happen with FF57
I thought the same but then I a read a post here about Mozilla introducing new APIs about a week or 2 before FF57 was officially released.
Now I understand why some of the addon developers, especially the DownThemAll dev, were upset with Mozilla and weren't able to work with the limited API.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
anon-e-mouse

Post by anon-e-mouse »

Nick: Quantum is the new browser architecture introduced in V57. Nightly builds are pre-releases. Mozilla dropped support for old (non-webextension) scripts with V57 so they need to be ported over to the new system. Old-style scripts will still work on FireFox ESR (extended support release) but you won't have the improvements (especially with regards to speed) that V57 provides.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Mancunian_Nick

Post by Mancunian_Nick »

Thanks for your replies guys. Unfortunately for whatever reason(s) I didn't see ANY notifications that I would experience the problems I'm having with this build. The inability for NoScript to work being only one but naturally I'm taking those up with Mozilla/Firefox.

Anyway thanks for explaining Quantum, anon-e-mouse. In that case it's being worked on so that's good. Someone in the Mozilla Firefox forum suggested I refresh firefox and go back to factory settings etc but I'm not going to do that, at least not until I'm able to (hopefully) get NoScript working/compatible once again.

Grateful for the replies as I said.
Nick

PS What are APIs? I'm not too techie, as you can probably tell.
MeToo

Post by MeToo »

Me wrote:I really appreciate Giorgios hard work but nevertheless I don't like his announcement policy. At first stating to release it at 11-15, then definitely end of the week but it's still not released now. A short statement of him, why it's still not released and when he thinks this will finally happen, would be nice.
His dev work on NoScript 10 got interrupted by critical fixes of the legacy version.

He had said that it would be ready by Sunday night, but there will be a short delay of "days, not weeks."
5th [REDACTED]shire

Post by 5th [REDACTED]shire »

MeToo wrote:His dev work on NoScript 10 got interrupted by critical fixes of the legacy version.
Because patching the version that doesn't work with 57 and that we're supposed to be moving away from is so much more important than releasing the version that does work with 57 and we're supposed to be moving to....
Mancunian_Nick

Post by Mancunian_Nick »

Hi Metoo

Thanks for the reply, although not sure it was addressed directly to me - at least I hope not as I didn't say what's been quoted so presumably that was directed at someone else. :)

Good job I'm a patient guy, although I do sympathise with what was said above, which was written whilst I was in the process of writing/sending this /b]. :P
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36

Post by Guest »

Will we have to remove the legacy version when NoScript 10 is released?

Also would it be overkill to delete the whole profile and just create a new profile to avoid leaving fragments of the legacy version lingering behind?
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Blackphone 2 Build/MOB31Z) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.84 Mobile Safari/537.36
anon-e-mouse

Post by anon-e-mouse »

Nick: API = Application Programming Interface. A set of software services provided to other software, in this case ones provided to add-ons by Firefox. The WebExtensions API is the way web-browser and add-on 'talk' to each other.

5th: It's probably because TBB uses FF ESR and security is obviously a high priority there.

Guest: I would've thought just deleting it in FF would be enough or even leaving it disabled. That assumes FF's add-on system isn't buggy of course but I'd like to think it's pretty solid. :)

Post by Guest »

anon-e-mouse wrote:
Guest: I would've thought just deleting it in FF would be enough or even leaving it disabled. That assumes FF's add-on system isn't buggy of course but I'd like to think it's pretty solid. :)
Thanks for the reply. I would like to hope so as well. What worries me is hearing about critical issues in the legacy version and then still having that plugin installed but disabled, couldn't this essentially open the doors for an exploit of some kind in the future?

I would prefer to remove it entirely but am not sure if clicking the remove button in addons does a thorough job of this.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Blackphone 2 Build/MOB31Z) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.84 Mobile Safari/537.36
anon1357

Post by anon1357 »

barbaz wrote:... but you can copy only the important data between the two profiles following this procedure - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
@barbaz, are you sure that KB article is up to date? It talks about copying selective files. I thought there was a change between 52 and 55 that changed the profile file formats, which means they cannot be simply copied from one profile to another.
The article says
KB wrote:If you were not having any problems with the old profile, you can delete the entire contents of the new profile folder and then copy everything you wish to transfer at once, into the new profile folder.
I'm pretty sure that will not work between 52 and 57.
Zeebles

Post by Zeebles »

[style size="50px"]WHERE IS NOSCRIPT??[/style]
Mancunian_Nick

Post by Mancunian_Nick »

Zeebles wrote:[style size="50px"]WHERE IS NOSCRIPT??[/style]
Hi Zeebles

It's not currently working with Firefox 57.0 but Georgio is aware of it and working on it and it should be with us this week, at the latest Sunday, I'm informed.

Hope that helps, Nick
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

anon1357 wrote:The article says
KB wrote:If you were not having any problems with the old profile, you can delete the entire contents of the new profile folder and then copy everything you wish to transfer at once, into the new profile folder.
I'm pretty sure that will not work between 52 and 57.
You're right, it won't. That article was written to take *all* scenarios into account. In this case, just ignore that sentence. :)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mancunian_Nick wrote:It's not currently working with Firefox 57.0 but Georgio is aware of it and working on it and it should be with us this week, at the latest Sunday, I'm informed.
Nick, what is your source for this information?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-