5.0.8.1 causes "redirection error" on many popular sites

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
nosc-harry

5.0.8.1 causes "redirection error" on many popular sites

Post by nosc-harry »

Hello,

after hitting the paypal problem with 5.0.6 on ESR52.2.1, I found out that 5.0.8.1 was on it's way and switched.
The paypal problem still persists, but the "browser.tabs.remote.force-enable" does the trick.

Unfortunately there's a really severe regression in 5.0.8.1 (ESR52.3.0 or 52.2.1, no matter which).
Sites like www.wetter.com, www.sueddeutsche.de or www.bild.de don't work anymore.
There's a "redirection failed" error (like if "network.http.redirection-limit" was hit, but even increasing it doesn't help).
Deinstalling NoScript helps - everything else available via UI doesn't help: I disabled all checks, and even generally allowing scripts still leads to teh redirection error!?!

[EDIT]
I'm not so sure if it's really a regression.
I tried 5.0.7 and also 5.0.6, all showing the same symptom (ESR 52.3.0 currently only).
I was quiet sure that I did my WhiteList generation with 5.0.6 on ESR52.2.1. At least I'm absolutely sure that I haven't had any problems with the internal "redirecting error" page back then...

Can anyone confirm tthat one of the above mentioned sites does work on ESR52.3.0 and 5.0.8.1 with top level domain on postiive list?
[/EDIT]

Thanks in advance,

-harry
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
nosc-harry

Re: 5.0.8.1 causes "redirection error" on many popular sites

Post by nosc-harry »

First of all, it's _no_ NoScript regression, sorry!

This was hard to find...
I do my own whitelist handling via autoconfig - two staged.
I utilize NoScript to build up maonoscript.sites according to a customized noscript.default (user_pref).

And there's the problem:
As soon as e.g. www.wetter.com is listed in "noscript.default", the redirection error occurs.
Deleting the user_pref "noscript.default" (after letting NoScript do it's job and it built maonoscript.sites" solves the problem.

Since I'm not the JavaScript guy, I have never had a look at NoScript sources.
Maybe somebody who knows (aprt of) the code can explain that relation, I have absolutely no idea.

But to answer the question above myself:
Yes, I can confirm that all tzhe sites mentioned do work with NoScript 5.0.9.1rc1 and ESR53.3.0 and the TLD on the positive list!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Try going to about:config and set noscript.httpsDefWhitelist to false
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
nosc-harry

Post by nosc-harry »

Thank you barbaz :!:

Your hint lead me to the changelog:

Code: Select all

v 2.9.0.5
x [HTTPS] noscript.httpsDefWhitelist option to automatically
  upgrade to HTTPS sites found in the default whitelist
  (enabled by default, thanks  Mazin Ahmed for reporting)
This perfectly fits the symptoms I had.
Unfortunately, I already modified my autoconfig scripts, so I defer thinking about the sense of this default setting...

First, I'll try to understand why maonoscript.sites contains both URL-scheme variants additionally to their host name - to exclude gopher:// ;)

Thanks,

-harry