NoScript Breaks CAPTCHA and Other Issues

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
jadgate

NoScript Breaks CAPTCHA and Other Issues

Post by jadgate »

First, let me say that I've been using NoScript and a fan for many years. Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into maintaining it over that time.

This notice is to let you know that I am going to stop using it for the following reasons:

1. It breaks (renders non-functional) CAPTCHA on many sites (including this forum registration) REQUIRED for registration. As a near and dear example, you cannot register on to use this site if NoScript is enabled. I find that quite ironic. Please do not tell me to whitelist this site. Whitelisting is only practical if use is limited. If I have to add each site I go to, why do I need NoScript anyway? You are making me work way harder than I should have to. This seems to be a prime example of self defeating security that is so tight it renders the browser useless AND also hampers OTHER NECESSARY security functionality

2. It breaks functionality of many other plugins, most importantly for me, the LastPass plugin I use to manage my credentials in Firefox. Lastpass has many other issues (it is really flakey in syncing across multiple devices) but if I can't copy and paste credentials because of NoScript, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a password manager.

If I were you, I'd strongly suggest addressing these issues - they impact many people beyond me.

Best,

Jim A.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript Breaks CAPTCHA and Other Issues

Post by barbaz »

jadgate wrote:This notice is to let you know that I am going to stop using it
Thank you for letting us know.
jadgate wrote:If I were you, I'd strongly suggest addressing these issues
You already solved the issues (your chosen solution being removing NoScript). As such, there is nothing for us to address here.

If you decide you'd instead like help making NoScript usable for you again, feel free to ask. We can help you with those issues if you're willing to do some troubleshooting and provide more information.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

jadgate wrote: 1. It breaks (renders non-functional) CAPTCHA on many sites (including this forum registration) REQUIRED for registration. As a near and dear example, you cannot register on to use this site if NoScript is enabled. I find that quite ironic. Please do not tell me to whitelist this site. Whitelisting is only practical if use is limited.
Um...if you don't trust a site enough to whitelist it, then you really should not be signing up there, or doing most other things that might require a captcha.
If I have to add each site I go to, why do I need NoScript anyway?
So that you get the chance to see the site and evaluate it before deciding if it actually is a site you want to be going to regularly?

I have to open every letter that I receive, if I want to read it. But that doesn't mean I want bills - or junk mail - to automatically be opened and stuck to my fridge. I'll evaluate each piece and decide for myself.
2. It breaks functionality of many other plugins, most importantly for me, the LastPass plugin I use to manage my credentials in Firefox. Lastpass has many other issues (it is really flakey in syncing across multiple devices) but if I can't copy and paste credentials because of NoScript, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a password manager.
I've successfully used LastPass plenty of times.

The one bug I'm aware of is that if you use Cascade Permissions, then the vault may not work properly. But general integration with pages should be fine.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:
jadgate wrote: 1. It breaks (renders non-functional) CAPTCHA on many sites (including this forum registration) REQUIRED for registration. As a near and dear example, you cannot register on to use this site if NoScript is enabled. I find that quite ironic. Please do not tell me to whitelist this site. Whitelisting is only practical if use is limited.
Um...if you don't trust a site enough to whitelis
Err, Thrawn, that issue might be totally unrelated to whitelisting. CAPTCHA on this board works fine with NoScript blocking all scripts.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-