Firefox freezes when loading most pages on The Guardian

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
cezar_dan

Firefox freezes when loading most pages on The Guardian

Post by cezar_dan »

Hello :)

I've been having this problem for about a week now and after a bit of testing I'm quite sure that it's something related to NoScript. I've tested it with NoScript disabled, as well as with NoScript enabled and all my other add-ons disabled to make sure it wasn't some weird interaction. I have allowed all scripts on The Guardian, so it doesn't have anything to do with anything obvious. Maybe a setting or something, though all I really changed in the settings was hiding that bar at the bottom of the screen, and that was way back when I first installed it. It doesn't occur for all Guardian pages, just most of them, and the length of the article doesn't seem to be a factor. After the issue occurs all I can do is to force-close Firefox.

I'm running NoScript 5.0.5 on Firefox 53.0.3 (64-bit). My other active add-ons are AdBlock, HTTPS Everywhere, Download Status Bar and DownThemAll!, but as I said, they don't seem to be the problem. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate on an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU at 2.40 GHz.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do other than completely disabling NoScript? Any other information that I could provide that could be of use in tracking it down?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
barbaz

Re: Firefox freezes when loading most pages on The Guardian

Post by barbaz »

Can you please post an exact URL where you see this problem?

When this issue occurs, do you see anything related in the Browser Console? (Ctrl-Shift-J)
(if you don't know what's related, turn off CSS warnings and post everything else you see)

These issues are often related to the XSS filter. So, as a test, please try going to NoScript Options > Advanced > XSS, and un-checking both boxes. Does the freezing still occur?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
js26

Post by js26 »

i was going to a new topic but your suggestion seems to fix things.
I am running firefox 53.0.3 and noscript 5.0.6rc4.
when i visit a page on yelp, it freezes the browser and it can't do anything. disabling noscript fixes this. and i then followed your suggestion of turning xss off and that makes things better too. this behavior seems to have started with noscript version 5.0.4
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
vmac

Post by vmac »

same here with this website: https://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Review ... Kinki.html
(using FF 53.0.3 and no-script 5.0.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.1.445)

>>>These issues are often related to the XSS filter. So, as a test, please try going to NoScript Options > Advanced > XSS, and un-checking both boxes. Does the freezing still occur?
Then the website is working fine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@js26, vmac: Thank you for letting us know, but please note that disabling the XSS filter is not a solution! It is only a test. It's not safe for normal browsing.

When saying it works with XSS filter disabled, can you please post the console messages you get with the XSS filter enabled? Without that, we don't have enough information to help you.

Thanks
-
vmac

Post by vmac »

I can't post the messages, because:

"Ooops, something in your posting triggered my antispam filter...
Please use the "Back" button to modify your content and retry."
vmac

Post by vmac »

vmac wrote:I can't post the messages, because:

"Ooops, something in your posting triggered my antispam filter...
Please use the "Back" button to modify your content and retry."
Last edited by vmac on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Lot of noise from ABE there. Can you please try again with this ABE exception added? -

NoScript Option > Advanced > ABE > SYSTEM, add at the very top

Code: Select all

Site https://ff.kis.scr.kaspersky-labs.com/*
Accept GET POST
-
vmac

Post by vmac »

Hope this will help:

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Die Direktive 'frame-src'  sollte nicht mehr verwendet werden. Bitte verwenden Sie stattdessen die Direktive 'child-src'.  (unbekannt)
Content Security Policy: Unbekannte Direktive 'worker-src' kann nicht verarbeitet werden  (unbekannt)
String.toLowerCase is deprecated; use String.prototype.toLowerCase instead  mootools-c-v23900594016a.js:1:43737
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIInterfaceRequestor.getInterface]  network-monitor.js:306
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIInterfaceRequestor.getInterface]  network-monitor.js:306
about:blank : Unable to run script because scripts are blocked internally.  (unbekannt)
about:blank : Unable to run script because scripts are blocked internally.  (unbekannt)
"Facebook Pixel Warning: You are sending a non-standard event 'LogAttribution'. The preferred way to send events is using trackCustom. See https://www.facebookmarketingdevelopers.com/pixels/up#sec-custom for more information"  fbevents.js:24:5365
"Handler function DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange threw an exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIWebProgress.DOMWindow]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js :: _docShellsToWindows/< :: line 723"  data: no]
Stack: _docShellsToWindows/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:723:11
_docShellsToWindows@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:720:12
_notifyDocShellsUpdate@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:751:19
DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:1637:7
exports.makeInfallible/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:101:14
Line: 723, column: 0"  ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:80
"Handler function DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange threw an exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIWebProgress.DOMWindow]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js :: DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange< :: line 1640"  data: no]
Stack: DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:1640:9
exports.makeInfallible/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:101:14
Line: 1640, column: 0"  ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:80
"Handler function DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange threw an exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIWebProgress.DOMWindow]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js :: _docShellsToWindows/< :: line 723"  data: no]
Stack: _docShellsToWindows/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:723:11
_docShellsToWindows@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:720:12
_notifyDocShellsUpdate@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:751:19
DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:1637:7
"Handler function DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange threw an exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIWebProgress.DOMWindow]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js :: DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange< :: line 1640"  data: no]
Stack: DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:1640:9
Last edited by barbaz on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrap console messages in code tags
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

So XSS filter is enabled, not doing anything, yet causing massive performance problems. Maybe related to this bug? - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22828

Does this occur with NoScript latest development build?
-
vmac

Post by vmac »

Thanks a lot but i will wait for the final 5.0.6.
js26

Post by js26 »

barbaz wrote:So XSS filter is enabled, not doing anything, yet causing massive performance problems. Maybe related to this bug? - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22828

Does this occur with NoScript latest development build?
it is happening with the latest dev build. i can't copy console messages since firefox just hangs completely. it does sound similar to the bug in your link so it all may be related.

thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
GerryFr

Post by GerryFr »

I am having the same problem on another web page: https://www.hsn.com/watch/items-recently-aired. My Firefox browser puts a big load on my processor and bogs down so bad that I have to kill it to recover. I disabled all of my add ons on my Firefox 53.0.3 browser and then turned them on, one at a time. The problem was found to be in my NoScript add on. I have been using this program since it came out and I have not had problems like this before. I disabled the XSS options and the problem went away. I am using (V5.0.5).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I rather not assume all these situations are identical -
barbaz wrote:When saying it works with XSS filter disabled, can you please post the console messages you get with the XSS filter enabled? Without that, we don't have enough information to help you.

Thanks
If the browser hangs so bad you can't do anything, try opening the console beforehand, making it as large as you can, and taking screenshots when the problem occurs.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GerryFr wrote:I am having the same problem on another web page: https://www.hsn.com/watch/items-recently-aired
That site loads scripts from facebook.net. Does the problem go away for you if you Mark facebook.net as Untrusted?

EDIT
Forgot to add that I don't see any hang there.
-