ALL pages are blocked until manual reload in Firefox

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Johansupi

Re: ALL pages are blocked until manual reload in Firefox

Post by Johansupi »

For me everything was working on previous build as well. Have you made any, I mean ANY changes before updating it to 54.0b1?
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
GNUrocks

Post by GNUrocks »

Johansupi wrote:For me everything was working on previous build as well. Have you made any, I mean ANY changes before updating it to 54.0b1?
Maybe you were lucky with your extensions? Only some of mine caused the "all pages are blocked until manual reload in Firefox" problem. What do you mean by ANY changes? None to noscript I think, except enabling ABE, but I don't think that has anything to do with it... Maybe you can reproduce on the old beta (53) with the plugins I listed? E.g. Tabmixplus caused the problem.

Cheers :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
drider

Post by drider »

I just wanted to thank you guys for this post. I've been dealing with this for almost a year and just found this. I had many of the extensions mentioned in this thread... I think BehindTheOverlay was another one as I had to disable many extensions. So, thank you!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
GNUrocks

Post by GNUrocks »

drider wrote:I just wanted to thank you guys for this post. I've been dealing with this for almost a year and just found this. I had many of the extensions mentioned in this thread... I think BehindTheOverlay was another one as I had to disable many extensions. So, thank you!
I think this bug is fixed in NoScript's latest version. At least for me the problem is completely gone with all my add ons enabled. Firefox 54 stable and 55 bet on GNU+Linux
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
HappyNoScriptUser

Post by HappyNoScriptUser »

GNUrocks wrote:
drider wrote:I just wanted to thank you guys for this post. I've been dealing with this for almost a year and just found this. I had many of the extensions mentioned in this thread... I think BehindTheOverlay was another one as I had to disable many extensions. So, thank you!
I think this bug is fixed in NoScript's latest version. At least for me the problem is completely gone with all my add ons enabled. Firefox 54 stable and 55 bet on GNU+Linux
For me it is not gone.
I have Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit), and these add-ons:
Adblock Plus (v2.9.1)
Content Search X (v0.4.6.26)
DownTheAll! (v3.0.8)
Flagfox (v5.1.25)
KeeFox (v1.7.0)
NoScript (v5.0.8.1)
Status-4-Evar (v2016.10.11.01)

I also have FlashGot (v1.5.6.14), but it is usually disabled, and then, I get multi-process Firefox (codenamed “Electrolysis”, or “e10s” for short).
Then, I get no issues with the "blocked pages".

However, if I enable the FlashGot add-on, Firefox becomes single-processed again,
and then, I also get the issue with the blocked pages, every now and then.

Well, they are not actually "blocked", to be precise, I would say that my issue is that the option
"Temporarily allow top-level sites by default" -> "Base 2nd level Domains (noscript.net)"
sometimes does not "kick in", not until the page is refreshed.
GNUrocks

Post by GNUrocks »

Hello friend,
which operating system do you use? Can you try the 64 bit version? How do I check whether multi-process is enabled in Firefox? Can you try version 55 beta? I'm using the same version of NoScript, 5.0.8.1. Can you find out which addons cause this bug? So if you have multi-process mode enabled you don't get the problem? Can you just disable it permanently? I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same issue. Good luck!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
HappyNoScriptUser

GNUrocks wrote:Hello friend,
which operating system do you use? Can you try the 64 bit version? How do I check whether multi-process is enabled in Firefox? Can you try version 55 beta? I'm using the same version of NoScript, 5.0.8.1. Can you find out which addons cause this bug? So if you have multi-process mode enabled you don't get the problem? Can you just disable it permanently? I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same issue. Good luck!
I use Windows 7 SP1 x64.

To find out if you have enabled multi-process;
type in "about:support" in the URI address field and press return,
then in the "Application Basics" section, look for the "Multiprocess Windows" field.
If it says "x/x (Enabled by default)" it is enabled.
You can also see if you have several "firefox.exe" processes running using a process manager, e.g. Windows' own "Task Manager".

Yes, when multi-process mode is enabled, I don't get the problem..
- I forgot about it, until I had to enable FlashGot for a few hours here the other day,
then I lost the multi-process, and after a while, I suddenly saw the "blocked scripts" issue on a page.
After I disabled FlashGot again, it has been in multi-process mode and with no more "blocked scripts" issues.

My guess would be that -
it is not FlashGot itself that does causes this, but instead the fact that I loose the multi-process.

Disable FlashGot? I had it disabled for many, many months, so yes, it is kinda ALMOST permanently disabled.
I will just temporarily enable it whenever I need the FlashGot Media for a few minutes.

About trying to install x64 or 55 beta, mmm.. no, I'm sorry, I don't want to do that!
I am actually really happy with the setup the way it is now! :-)
GNUrocks

Post by GNUrocks »

If you use x64, then why not use x64 Firefox as well? Should be faster/ more optimized.

Multiprocess Windows says "0/2 (Disabled by add-ons)" so I guess it's turned off. I still do not get the blocked scripts issue though.

I'm not using Windows, as a reminder, but Fedora GNU+Linux.

Sounds reasonable that there is some problem with multi process and some addons disable it and that brings up the blocked scripts issue.

So the issue is gone for you as long as you don't disable FlashGot?
HappyNoScriptUser

GNUrocks wrote:If you use x64, then why not use x64 Firefox as well? Should be faster/ more optimized.
I was kinda worried about compatibility with the addons, but, the day after I wrote my previous post,
I learned that it was only the PLUGINS (i.e. Flash), and not the EXTENSIONS that this applied to.
I did not understand exactly WHY, though..
The extension .xpi's are NEITHER 32-bit or 64-bit?
Or they are BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit?
Anyway, I then went on and installed Firefox x64 54.0.1, started it, closed it,
and then uninstalled Firefox x86 54.0.1.
I did NOT click the "Refresh Firfefox" button,
so I kept all the add-ons and my specific settings.
Thank you for asking, it was that question that made my do the "upgrade" to Firefox x64! :D
GNUrocks wrote: Multiprocess Windows says "0/2 (Disabled by add-ons)" so I guess it's turned off. I still do not get the blocked scripts issue though.
Yes, it's turned off for you. It is one (or more) of your enabled extensions that is not compatible with e10s.
You may try and disable them: one at a time, then restart Firefox twice - then check about:support again,
until you see it says "(Enabled by default)".
Then you know that the last extension you disabled is not e10s-compatible.
Then you keep that disabled, and enable all the other extensions again, restart Firefox twice - then check about:support again.
If it again says "(Disabled by add-ons)", you repeat the process.
It may be time-consuming if you have a lot, like, 25+ extensions..
There is this web site - https://www.arewee10syet.com/ that lists the most popular extensions, and tells if they are compatible or "unknown".
As you see there, the "FlashGot Mass Downloader" a.k.a. "FlashGot" extension is listed as "unknown"
- I know 100% for sure that "FlashGot" is not compatible, though.
Maybe the other "unknown" extensions there are also actually not compatible.
That web site is not going to be around for very much longer; it will be deleted by the time "they get into the Firefox 56 cycle".
Already by now it is very diminished compared to what it was 4 months ago, it has only listed a tiny part of the extensions it had back then.
GNUrocks wrote: Sounds reasonable that there is some problem with multi process and some addons disable it and that brings up the blocked scripts issue.
So the issue is gone for you as long as you don't disable FlashGot?
Yes, I have confirmed that if I keep DIS-abled both "FlashGot" and "URL Flipper" (which I also have installed, I'm sorry I forgot to mention it),
the "Firefox multi-process" / "e10s" / "Multiprocess Windows" feature will be kept EN-abled,
and I get NO issues with the "Temporarily allow top-level sites by default" -> "Base 2nd level Domains (noscript.net)"
option not "kicking in" on certain sites (a.k.a. the issue with "Blocked pages")

And, if I EN-able "FlashGot",
"Firefox multi-process" / "e10s" / "Multiprocess Windows" feature will become DIS-abled,
and I DO get the issue with "Blocked pages".

I have now tried to disable all my extensions, except for these 3:
"FlashGot" (1.5.6.14)
"NoScript" (5.0.8.1)
"Status-4-Evar" (2016.10.11.01)
- and I still get the issue with "Blocked pages".

My next steps will be..:

..disable "FlashGot", then verify that I do get "e10s" again, and not get the issue with "Blocked pages".

..enable "URL Flipper" (3.1.1.20.1-signed.1-signed), then verify that "e10s" will be disabled,
and then check whether I get the issue with "Blocked pages", or not.
If I do get the issue, it would be an indication for that the issue with "Blocked pages" is connected to "e10s".
If I do not get the issue, it would be an indication for that the issue with "Blocked pages" is connected to "FlashGot".

Create a back-up of my Firefox profile, then create a new profile, using just "NoScript" (5.0.8.1) and "FlashGot" (1.5.6.14),
and don't change any other settings / options.
I assume that "e10s" will be disabled, and, I will check whether I get the issue with "Blocked pages" or not.
If I do, I will post here the URL of the web page that triggered the issue with "Blocked pages".
If I do not, I assume that the issues is also dependent on some of my Firefox settings, NoScript settings, or FlashGot settings,
so I will try to turn on those settings one by one, the restart Firefox twice each time, and check when the issue with "Blocked pages" appear again.

In the new Firefox profile, create a bookmark with the web page that triggers the issue with "Blocked pages",
to find out whether a bookmark really is a requirement for for the page to be "blocked" or not.

I have finally found a web page that will (for me) always trigger the issue with "Blocked pages".
Therefore, it is now a perfect time for me to test different options,
trying to find out which environment is needed for the issue with "Blocked pages" to appear.
I will not write the URL here before I have completed the test,
since, the last time I did that, the page - for some mysterious reason
- suddenly stopped giving those issues with "Blocked pages".

At the moment, I can tell that this new page also has a HTTPS url.
And also, I believe that all the other pages that I have seen this issue with,
they have also had HTTPS url's.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
HappyNoScriptUser

Finally! :D

I think I have been able to create a step-by-step that can show the issue!

1) Install Firefox (or create a new profile)

2) Run Firefox first time.

3) Install "NoScript Security Suite", and click "Restart now.."

4) Go to NoScript Options..

4a) In "General" tab:
turn ON the "Temporarily allow top-level sites by default" - and select the
"Base 2nd level Domains (noscript.net)"

4b) In "Advanced" tab, "ABE" tab:
turn OFF the "Enable ABE (Application Boundaries Enforcer)"

4c) Click "OK"

5) Install "FlashGot Mass Downloader", and click "Restart now.."

6) Restart, AGAIN..!! (This 2nd restart is needed for the "e10s" to be disabled.)

7) Go to "about:support", verify that "Multiprocess Windows" = "(Disabled by add-ons)"

8) Select, and copy, any one of these URL's:

https://iwantmyname.com

https://domaintyper.com

https://tld-list.com

http://registry.la

https://njal.la

9) Start a new Firefox window, then right-click and do a "Paste & Go" into the URL bar.

You should now see the "Blocked page" issue.

If you refresh the page, the scripts are not blocked anymore.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you try to do this with either "e10s" enabled or "ABE" enabled,
the issue will not show up.

Also, it will not show up if you try a URL with 3 levels, e.g. like

http://www.whoisprivacy.la
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
GNUrocks

Post by GNUrocks »

Hey, congrats for the thorough description! I guess now that you know how to evade the problem, it's gone for you, right?
HappyNoScriptUser

Well.. it's not "gone" (as in "it's fixed").. ;)
I know a workaround, which keeps the issue from not appearing, so it's not bothering me:
As long as I do not both
disable NoScript's "ABE",
enable "FlashGot" (or any other "non-Multiprocess-Windows-compatible" add-on),
and
start typing in the first letters of the target domain into the URL field,
then click the bookmarked page from the list of suggestions which pops up..
..the issue will not show.
But, it's still there.
Also on 64-bits Firefox 55.0.1...! ;)

BTW: The reason I usually have ABE disabled, is because it will, on many commercial sites with a lot of stuff listed,
cause an extreme slowdown of the rendering of the tabs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0