googlemaps and NoScript

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Peace

googlemaps and NoScript

Post by Peace »

Hello, I am a new No Script user. And I wish to learn how to use it properly.

I am facing a situation right now, it seems there is no way to have streetview working on googlemaps.com using NS. The maps are displayed, I can zoom in and out but the options are not there on each sides of the map. This website is on the NS whitelist so I am not sure how it's possible to have the street view options at all.

Is there a configuration to correct that? Thanks.

This is the image using no script.
Computer: i5-8400 - HD Graphics 630 on Asus B360M-A, 16gb ram, Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 , Browser Firefox 71.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
barbaz

Re: googlemaps and NoScript

Post by barbaz »

What kind of Linux are you running? (Looks like either Lubuntu or Linux Mint Cinnamon? Can't quite tell.)
Does disabling NoScript (Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > Disable > Yes, remove ALL protections) get it working?
What other extensions are you using?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Peace

Post by Peace »

Hello Barbaz,

It's Linux Mint revision 17 cinnamon on Firefox revision 48.0

I tried to disable NoScript on add-ons manger and then google maps worked fine without NS. But there is something strange, I re activated No Script again, Google maps was still working?!, the options are there and I can use streetview.. strange.

But it's working pretty well right now with NS

(: I don't know what happened.

The other extensions are:
-better privacy
-block site
-Image block
-Privacy badger
-Self-Destructing Cookies
-CanvasBlocker (Which was disabled)
Computer: i5-8400 - HD Graphics 630 on Asus B360M-A, 16gb ram, Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 , Browser Firefox 71.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Well now we know it's not caused by NoScript but I'm not marking this resolved because the issue probably will return. It might be extension conflict... Standard Diagnostic usually is the way to troubleshoot, but with the issue being elusive like that, Standard diagnostic might not find the culprit.

off-topic: BlockSite is known adware, please remove it and replace it with uBlock Origin for your safety!
-
Peace

Post by Peace »

Thank you for the info about the BlockSite, I did not know that it was compromised. I was using that add on to block 5000 websites known for using Canevas fingerprinting scripts. A drastic approach but it was blocking a lot of 3rd party sites on a regular basis.

Ublock origin is installed now.

My complete list of extensions is the following: Some are disabled by default so I didn't count them the first time.

Image Block (Enabled)
No script (Enabled)
Privacy Badger (Enabled)
Self-Destructing Cookies (Enabled)
UBlock Origin (Enabled)
CacheViewer (Disabled)
CanvasBlocker (Disabled)
FlagFox (Disabled)
FlashBlock (Disabled - To be removed)
Mint Search Enhancer (Disabled - Not removable)
Stylish (disabled - Not removable)
Video DownloadHelper (Disabled - But I use it sometimes)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

FWIW, Mint Search Enhancer should be possible to deinstall through the package manager (completely quit Firefox first). Not sure how you managed to get Stylish globally installed?

Anyway, you've changed your extensions list now, and it's possible that might have fixed the problem. Let us know if it comes back again.
-
Peace

Post by Peace »

OK sure,

I am testing No Script on my favourites websites, it's interesting. So far I can access the content for most of them while blocking a lot of bad things. I think I am going to like NoScript a lot, really powerful.

(:
Peace

Post by Peace »

Stylish and mint search comes with Firefox from the Synaptic repository.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Peace wrote:mint search comes with Firefox from the Synaptic repository.
Nice :roll:
The fact they are packaging such extensions as part of the Firefox build, makes it's not surprising that weird issues are happening. Can you use the Ubuntu package build of Firefox? (Ubuntu wisely distributes such add-ons as separate packages. If that package can't be installed from your package manager then there's no point to use it.)
If not, what about the official Mozilla build?
-