NetVideoHunter Add-On partially disabled

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Viceman

Re: NetVideoHunter Add-On partially disabled

Post by Viceman »

barbaz wrote:Also, to try to eliminate weirdness from the website end, can NetVideoHunter be used on a page like this? http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html
Still no video playback. I can download the videos, but just get a black screen when I click on the Playback button.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

As a test, try setting Allow Scripts Globally?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

barbaz wrote:As a test, try setting Allow Scripts Globally?
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of StopScript? I'll give it a try, but before I do, can I reverse that setting after I've made it?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

This is support forum for NoScript, we are not asking you to change settings in StopScript. I don't know anything about StopScript but would assume that with NoScript set to Allow Scripts Globally that this StopScript would still be doing its job regardless, no? Image

Also, NoScript is much more than just a script blocker - it includes XSS filter, CSRF protection (ABE), inclusion type checking, etc.
Viceman wrote:before I do, can I reverse that setting after I've made it?
Sure, two ways to do it:
NoScript menu > Forbid Scripts Globally
*or*
NoScript Options > Whitelist, un-check "Scripts Globally Allowed (dangerous)"
-
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

barbaz wrote:This is support forum for NoScript, we are not asking you to change settings in StopScript. I don't know anything about StopScript but would assume that with NoScript set to Allow Scripts Globally that this StopScript would still be doing its job regardless, no? Image

Also, NoScript is much more than just a script blocker - it includes XSS filter, CSRF protection (ABE), inclusion type checking, etc.
Sure, two ways to do it:
*or*
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant NoScript
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

barbaz wrote:This is support forum for NoScript, we are not asking you to change settings in StopScript. I don't know anything about StopScript but would assume that with NoScript set to Allow Scripts Globally that this StopScript would still be doing its job regardless, no? Image

Sure, two ways to do it:
*or*
I Globally Allowed everything and the video playback in NetVideoHunter started working again. Clearly it's due to NoScript. The question is what needs to be allowed for this to work while NoScript is in full operation.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I Globally Allowed everything and the video playback in NetVideoHunter started working again.
URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWO7Vg7wpyU

I don't see that.
I don't see where NoScript is making a difference.
(I didn't even install NoScript.)

What version of NVH?

I do get playback of Youtube "ads", but not that video.
Instead, "No video with supported format and MIME type found."
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0 SeaMonkey/2.40
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

URL: https://www.facebook.com/facebook/video ... =2&theater

Facebook looks to be different, where there is no playback, but if you Allow Globally then you do get playback.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0 SeaMonkey/2.40
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

therube wrote:
I Globally Allowed everything and the video playback in NetVideoHunter started working again.
URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWO7Vg7wpyU

I don't see that.
I don't see where NoScript is making a difference.
(I didn't even install NoScript.)

What version of NVH?

I do get playback of Youtube "ads", but not that video.
Instead, "No video with supported format and MIME type found."
Version 1.2 (the latest)
http://netvideohunter.com/

If you don't have NoScript installed, of course it will play videos or give the error message you cited. The problem is with NoScript installed, there is no playback or error message at all. Just a black screen.
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

therube wrote:URL: https://www.facebook.com/facebook/video ... =2&theater

Facebook looks to be different, where there is no playback, but if you Allow Globally then you do get playback.
That's what I'm trying to solve. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Appears to me there are multiple issues.

Youtube, NVH "player" doesn't appear to support current YT formats?
Facebook, that's different & can probably be solved on the NoScript end, but that's back to Error Console or similar & I'm not looking presently.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

At this point I'd suggest to run DOMi on the NetVideoHunter window (File > Inspect Chrome Document, select the NetVideoHunter's window title) and see if can get the URL of the "page" (whether it be a XUL window or frame) that's trying to play the video, plus the URL that NetVideoHunter is fetching the video for playback from.

Depending on the URLs it may or may not be possible to manually add to NoScript whitelist
-
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

therube wrote:Appears to me there are multiple issues.

Youtube, NVH "player" doesn't appear to support current YT formats?
Facebook, that's different & can probably be solved on the NoScript end, but that's back to Error Console or similar & I'm not looking presently.
I've never had a problem with Youtube. Only after installing NoScript did this problem arise. Choosing "Allow Scripts Globally" solves the problem, but defeats the purpose of the NoScript utility. Thanks for working with me on this!
Viceman

Post by Viceman »

barbaz wrote:At this point I'd suggest to run DOMi on the NetVideoHunter window (File > Inspect Chrome Document, select the NetVideoHunter's window title) and see if can get the URL of the "page" (whether it be a XUL window or frame) that's trying to play the video, plus the URL that NetVideoHunter is fetching the video for playback from.

Depending on the URLs it may or may not be possible to manually add to NoScript whitelist
Tried the DOM Inspector but no URL to be found other than the Firefox Add-on URL for NVH. NetVideoHunter is not a website, so the inspector has nothing to find in that regard.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Viceman wrote:Tried the DOM Inspector but no URL to be found other than the Firefox Add-on URL for NVH. NetVideoHunter is not a website, so the inspector has nothing to find in that regard.
Sorry the vague instructions. So, you have NoScript set to Allow Scripts Globally so as to not break NetVideo Hunter - that's perfect for this. Now, in NetVideoHunter, play a video that requires NoScript set to Allow Scripts Globally.

Now open DOMi and selected to inspect NetVideoHunter window, as above. Likely the top-level document is a chrome://... URI, so it's already whitelisted by NoScript; we'll need to go deeper in the DOM. Click the icon that looks like an arrow on something (its tooltip is "Find a node to inspect by clicking on it"). Then in the NetVideoHunter window click the playing video. Read the node tag names up the DOM tree and see if you find any nodes marked as "#document". If so, NetVideoHunter is playing the videos in a frame. Get its URL by going in the right panel, selecting the drop down, and clicking "JavaScript Object", check the value of "URL" property.
Also take note of the node where the video is playing and see if working your way into the DOM tree reveals its URL (not sure offhand whether "DOM Node" or "JavaScript Object" in the right panel is better suited to getting that URL). It's possible that NetVideoHunter is playing the video from some URI other than its URL on the web.

If this is too involved for you then therube will understand what to do, I've no time to check it myself right now sorry.
-