[RESOLVED] NOScript causing page reloads on OneDrive

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Niacin

Re: NOScript causing page reloads on OneDrive

Post by Niacin »

barbaz wrote:
therube wrote:With surrogates enabled, that flutter, & domains showing up & vanishing from the NoScript icon, is incessant.
OK back up here. I missed the "showing up & vanishing" part of this post.
@therube, are the "vanishing" domains exist in the script listings posted by you & Niacin?
I did post this in an earlier part of the thread...

"What I have noticed, is that OneDrive constantly loads background 'stuff' for some seconds after the page has rendered. It's a little like Amazon, that takes a while before all background elements are loaded before you can proceed with some account related stuff."

That may be what was mentioned as "flutter"?
Mozilla/5.0 (Mobile; Windows Phone 8.1; Android 4.0; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 635) like iPhone OS 7_0_3 Mac OS X AppleWebKit/537 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile Safari/537
jmward

Post by jmward »

Hi chaps,

I am seeing all the problems mentioned above, as for instance by Niacin. As for others here, the problem goes away if I set noscript.surrogate.enabled to false. The OneDrive page seems to make a lot of requests, after loading, to sites concerned with Microsoft Office Online; maybe it's looking for Excel or Word files. The icon in the top left corner enables you to change to an Office Online program.

I also see the problem on the Google search page (for www.google.co.uk in this case), where a pop-up at the top right asks you "Come here often? Make Google your homepage." That also flashes on and off, repeatedly loading, when NoScript is enabled. Wait... curses, it's not happening now. It was ever thus. Still, it did at one point, and it went away when NoScript was uninstalled.

Normally I have a load of addons installed, with half-a-dozen enabled, but for the purposes of diagnosis, I installed a fresh copy of Firefox, as yet without synchronisation, and I have only IDM integration, NoScript, and Status-4-Evar installed.

Never mind, I'll keep the surrogate flag set to false for now, and come back and see what happened in a while. I feel for Giorgio, it's a real swine when a bug like this occurs in your generously donated software. I know from my own experience what it's like to have something go wrong and users protest: the irritation, desperation, and late-night debugging sessions - he has my sympathy. Bloody users; why can't they sort themselves out and use sensible sites instead of Microsoft ones? It's not as if anyone really needs OneDrive; they're just being awkward for the sake of it.

It might be worth a donation if you sort it out, though - hint, hint.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Niacin

Post by Niacin »

I have lived with the surrogate set to false ever since it was suggested and have noticed no difference in functionality at all
Mozilla/5.0 (Mobile; Windows Phone 8.1; Android 4.0; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 635) like iPhone OS 7_0_3 Mac OS X AppleWebKit/537 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile Safari/537
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Niacin wrote:I have lived with the surrogate set to false ever since it was suggested and have noticed no difference in functionality at all
If you whitelist everything, then indeed, disabling surrogates will make no difference. Surrogates take effect, usually, when you leave things blocked, and the surrogates do their best to un-break the page. However, if they become outdated, it is theoretically possible for them to introduce breakages.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Niacin

Post by Niacin »

Thrawn wrote:
Niacin wrote:I have lived with the surrogate set to false ever since it was suggested and have noticed no difference in functionality at all
If you whitelist everything, then indeed, disabling surrogates will make no difference. Surrogates take effect, usually, when you leave things blocked, and the surrogates do their best to un-break the page. However, if they become outdated, it is theoretically possible for them to introduce breakages.
But I don't whitelist everything.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Then perhaps you visit well-coded websites that don't break when you block Google Analytics et al :)
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Niacin

Post by Niacin »

Thrawn wrote:Then perhaps you visit well-coded websites that don't break when you block Google Analytics et al :)
Give me some examples of pages that might break and I'll try them out :)

And, as an aside, the latest version of FF (45.0.2) doesn't help matters (not that I expected it to but it's another facet tried), so we're still using the surrogate settings
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Ayradyss

Post by Ayradyss »

I just decided to try out One Drive tonight and ran into this very issue. Did a little searching and here I am. I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been said, just that I'm experiencing this too. Will be keeping an eye on things here to see if there's any further info or a real fix. (So far, the disabling surrogates work-around is working for me too.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
GirlaPH

Post by GirlaPH »

Oh God, I'm glad I'm not the only person who had this problem. I think I know why it keeps refreshing was because it has to do with the cookie issue or a cloud site that keeps refusing to load correctly. Looks like the recent update on the NoScript finally fixed this issue and it stopped. I also set setting noscript.surrogate.enabled thing that was mentioned on this board to false and it stopped reloading. Hopefully the future update of this will get fixed soon.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
JamieKitson

Post by JamieKitson »

Ok, with 2.9.0.11 and noscript.surrogate.enabled = false the issue goes away for me, ie, the OneDrive site doesn't keep reloading.

tbh I can't remember whether I tested noscript.surrogate.enabled = false with the previous version.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0

Post by Guest »

There must be a change in OneDrive !
I did some tests:
OneDrive works now only with NoScript versions earlier than NoScript 2.6.8.26.
That's a long time ago and I remember OneDrive works in that days with ver 2.6.8.26 and higher too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Hello,
just for the sake of clarity: is this considered as issue that will be fixed in a future NOScript version or has one to use the workaround if he wants to use onedrive?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote:There must be a change in OneDrive !
I did some tests:
That's a long time ago and I remember OneDrive works in that days with ver 2.6.8.26 and higher too.
NS 2.6.8.26 with what Firefox/Gecko version? Such old NoScript isn't going to even work fully with current Gecko.
Olaf wrote:is this considered as issue that will be fixed in a future NOScript version
Yes it's a NoScript bug - surrogates are intended to fix page breakage, not cause it.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
victor50

Post by victor50 »

Confused? All I can say is I am experiencing the same issue I had never before. On the side: Onedrive reports "error" after some reloads. FF 54.0.2 Sorry I don't have time (and not very much skill) to research the issue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

Post by Guest »

barbaz wrote:
Guest wrote:There must be a change in OneDrive !
I did some tests:
NS 2.6.8.26 with what Firefox/Gecko version? Such old NoScript isn't going to even work fully with current Gecko.
I did work! But, just to please You ;) , I did some tests again with an older adequate Firefox, 24.5.0 ESR (first offered to ESR channel users on April 29, 2014):
With noscript_security_suite-2.6.8.26 (offered on May 21, 2014) onedrive.live.com works flawlessly :)
(and with all older NoScript versions too)
With noscript_security_suite-2.6.8.27 (offered on May 21, 2014) onedrive.live.com reloads eternally :shock:
(and with all newer NoScript versions too)

It's seems likely there must be two things: an unknown change in onedrive.live.com & a flaw in noscript since version 2.6.8.27 (or rather a new incompatibility with a modified onedrive.live.com) :?: :!:

(And sorry for a mistake in my mentioned post :oops: . Correct is this:
OneDrive works now only with NoScript versions earlier than NoScript 2.6.8.27.
That's a long time ago and I remember OneDrive works in that days with ver 2.6.8.27 and higher too.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; x86; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.1.1