[FIXED] Noscript Flash click to play & Firefox 45 issue?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post

[FIXED] Noscript Flash click to play & Firefox 45 issue?

Post by Guest »

After updating to Firefox 45 I can't seem to get Noscript to function properly when it is set to block Flash but offer the click to play option.

I am sure I am not describing it properly. Basically, under the embeddings tab section under Noscript options, that is set to block everything (except the collapsed blocked objects and no placeholder lines). This is the same way it has been setup for years(s). That would cause flash content to be blocked with the beige noscript box and then one would then click on that to bring up a confirmation box asking one to confirm to allow (unless they had unchecked the ask for confirmation dialog). It was working that way all along but I updated to Firefox 45 and now clicking on that box no longer does anything. It instead appears to act like I am just clicking on any other web link taking me to the url address (yet still blocking the content). I have confirmed it on a couple of different sites with the same result.

Other than updating from Firefox 44.0.2 to 45, nothing else changed.

Example http://m.mlb.com/video/v549115583/join- ... ubMEGAMENU

Screenshot

http://postimg.org/image/tya3vbgm5/

Clicking on that used to bring up the confirmation box to allow. Now it just goes to the url of that content with the same Noscript block box (though now full screen since it went to the url of the content directly). Clicking on that Noscript block box again does nothing further. Clicking on the close x button on the upper right side does the same thing as clicking within the block box.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Noscript Flash click to play & Firefox 45 issue?

Post by therube »

Confirmed.

(It does work in SeaMonkey 2.39 & FF 44.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.39
Random L. Stranger

Post by Random L. Stranger »

I can confirm this also. In addition, if you have the 'forbid other plugins' option selected, you see this behavior with other plugins as well. I am seeing it with Acrobat Reader and PDF files. When I click on the NoScript logo, there is no dialog box asking to confirm I want to load the content, the page just reloads and the plugin never loads. Worked fine before the upgrade to Firefox 45, so looks like an incompatibility between NoScript and Firefox 45. For now, just have to disable NoScript until it gets fixed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

Post by Guest »

Agreed, the update to FF45.0 causes NoScript to open a separate URL instead of opening/running within the existing page.
NoScript fan

Post by NoScript fan »

Since updating to Firefox 45, I cannot open a Flash object within a page and the PDF viewer no longer works. Is a fix in the works?

Post by Guest »

I am the same person that started this thread.

I am having another odd and annoying issue that I can't seem to figure out and I am wondering if it might be related to this.

I have a legit paid account on Hulu. Everything has always worked fine and it was working immediately before upgrading to Firefox 45. But, immediately after the upgrade and going back to Hulu to watch a show with no other changes on my end it will no longer recognize my having an account (not just a paid one, an account at all) whenever I try to watch a show. The odd part is that I am logged in at the time and Hulu recognizes me as logged in throughout the entire site (shows my name, queue, history, favorites, shows you watch on the home page, my account info showing my paid history and currently paid with no issues, etc.). It is just when I click on a show to watch, it acts like it isn't able to see that I am logged in or even have an account during that process. I can only watch as a free user would that doesn't have an account (even though it is always logged in throughout). If I click on a paid account required show it asks me to start a free trial, join or login and if I then login on that screen (again, even though it shows me as already logged in) it brings up the top banner saying I am already a paid subscriber and to enjoy my show but with the same result of saying start a free trial, join or login to watch when the show tries to load.

Given that I have the Noscript click to play issue that started immediately after upgrading to Firefox 45, I am wondering if this Hulu issue is related. That something related to Noscript is blocking something checking for an account when a show is clicked to watch (again, other than the Firefox 45 upgrade, no settings with Noscript, Firefox or the computer changed in between)?

I have tried everything else I can think of short of disabling Noscript entirely. With Hulu running so many third party advertising and tracking scripts, I was hoping to avoid that if possible, especially if a fix is forthcoming to see if that solves it first.

Any chance someone that understands these things might be able to help me troubleshoot this? I am out of ideas on my end other but I am unsure if this is related to this Noscript/Firefox 45 issue or perhaps something with Firefox 45 independent of the Noscript combo in this thread (I am hoping they are related since they both happened at the same time and might get fixed together).

I have tried clearing cookies, cache, logging out and in in as many possible scenarios I can think of to test (regular and private windows). Uninstalled and re-installed Flash, cleared its settings, made sure any about:config settings weren't the cause by resetting anything that might impact it, skimmed the developer browser and web console for anything that might look off (though I don't understand that). No other add-ons that might be the cause. Unchecked most of the Noscript embeddings checkboxes in its options (flash, a/v, frames, other plugins, apply whitelisted).
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Does Error Console show anything related to NoScript & Hulu?
short of disabling Noscript entirely
Sounds like the thing to do, at this point.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 SeaMonkey/2.39

Post by Guest »

therube wrote:Does Error Console show anything related to NoScript & Hulu?
Apologies. Is the error console the same as the browser console or web console? I don't see an error console listed under developer tools.
Guest wrote:short of disabling Noscript entirely
therube wrote:Sounds like the thing to do, at this point.
Is there a best way to disable Noscript to test it? Do I disable it in the add-ons manager, disable on one page or some other method?

Thank you for the help.

Any idea if the Noscript click to play and Firefox 45 issue might be fixed shortly? I wouldn't mind waiting for that to see if that might fix whatever happened at the same time before going down the, hopefully last resort, of disabling Noscript to test the next stage of possible causes.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote:Is the error console the same as the browser console or web console? I don't see an error console listed under developer tools.
Browser Console (Ctrl-Shift-J). Error Console only for SeaMonkey.
Guest wrote:Is there a best way to disable Noscript to test it?
There is only one way to disable NoScript:
Tools > Add-ons Manager > NoScript > Disable > Yes, remove ALL protections
restart browser as prompted
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

FWIW there has been another thread on this as well: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21525
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Post by Guest »

barbaz wrote:Browser Console (Ctrl-Shift-J). Error Console only for SeaMonkey.
Thanks.
therube wrote:Does Error Console show anything related to NoScript & Hulu?
I did this testing in a private window. The results were the same as previously. I logged in and then clicked on a show that requires a paid account to watch and then tried a free show available that would be available even without an account. Repeated the same thing after closing the browser entirely and going back to a private window by clicking on a free show as a non-member with no account (not logged in).

Clicking on a free show loads the show both logged in (though not recognizing that I have a paid account so lower quality and the like) or as a free user with no account. Clicking on a show that requires a paid account when I was logged in brings up the screen, where the video would normally load, saying this episode is available with a free trial or paid account and has a login if a member link. Other than Hulu not recognizing my paid account solely when I click on a show to watch, everything else works fine (ie. shows load as long as they are available without a paid account etc.). So it doesn't appear as an issue related to being able to watch/load shows. Just that the site isn't able to see my account during the process it must go through when a show is clicked to watch even though is does so everywhere else on the site.

The browser console listed the following. I checked it throughout the process such as when I first visitied the site, logged in and then immediately after clicking on a show to watch.

chrome://browser/content/browser.xul : Unable to run script because scripts are blocked internally. <unknown>

Synchronous XML Http Request on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. application core

Use of getPreventDefault is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. application core

Use of attributes' nodeValue attribute is deprecated. Use value instead. application core

I have no idea what any of that means but do know that my current settings and such were unchanged between the time it was working, and has for a long time, to when it didn't after the upgrade to Firefox 45. Other than the Hulu and Noscript click to play issues, everything else appears normal.

Thank you again for the help. I'll likely try disabling Noscript entirely to troubleshoot if the above is of no help and a fix for the Noscript click to play isn't likely in the very near future.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I am sure I am not describing it properly. Basically, under the embeddings tab section under Noscript options, that is set to block everything (except the collapsed blocked objects and no placeholder lines). This is the same way it has been setup for years(s). That would cause flash content to be blocked with the beige noscript box and then one would then click on that to bring up a confirmation box asking one to confirm to allow (unless they had unchecked the ask for confirmation dialog). It was working that way all along but I updated to Firefox 45 and now clicking on that box no longer does anything. It instead appears to act like I am just clicking on any other web link taking me to the url address (yet still blocking the content). I have confirmed it on a couple of different sites with the same result.
Still does this, 2.9.0.4. (latest as-of-now) Firefox 45.0, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
Will even be so boneheaded as to "reload" the content on clicking the blocked placeholder (and continue blocking it) even if the blocked content (alone) is what the URL currently points to.

Workaround: right-click, blocked-objects, specifically allow the object.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

Post by Guest »

Still exists in 2.9.0.5.
This is especially annoying when trying to play e.g. an audio file hosted on a domain that's not whitelisted, as you will have to unblock the entire domain for this.
anotheroneofthese

Post by anotheroneofthese »

Guest wrote:Still exists in 2.9.0.5.
This is especially annoying when trying to play e.g. an audio file hosted on a domain that's not whitelisted, as you will have to unblock the entire domain for this.
I've found what seems to be a workaround (check Edit #1), it appears to work just fine with all the remaining addons I have, test it and check if it works for you too until Giorgio is able to take a look at it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Tree

Post by Tree »

Guest wrote:I did this testing in a private window. The results were the same as previously. I logged in and then clicked on a show that requires a paid account to watch and then tried a free show available that would be available even without an account. Repeated the same thing after closing the browser entirely and going back to a private window by clicking on a free show as a non-member with no account (not logged in).

Clicking on a free show loads the show both logged in (though not recognizing that I have a paid account so lower quality and the like) or as a free user with no account. Clicking on a show that requires a paid account when I was logged in brings up the screen, where the video would normally load, saying this episode is available with a free trial or paid account and has a login if a member link. Other than Hulu not recognizing my paid account solely when I click on a show to watch, everything else works fine (ie. shows load as long as they are available without a paid account etc.). So it doesn't appear as an issue related to being able to watch/load shows. Just that the site isn't able to see my account during the process it must go through when a show is clicked to watch even though is does so everywhere else on the site.

The browser console listed the following. I checked it throughout the process such as when I first visitied the site, logged in and then immediately after clicking on a show to watch.

chrome://browser/content/browser.xul : Unable to run script because scripts are blocked internally. <unknown>

Synchronous XML Http Request on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. application core

Use of getPreventDefault is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. application core

Use of attributes' nodeValue attribute is deprecated. Use value instead. application core

I have no idea what any of that means but do know that my current settings and such were unchanged between the time it was working, and has for a long time, to when it didn't after the upgrade to Firefox 45. Other than the Hulu and Noscript click to play issues, everything else appears normal.

Thank you again for the help. I'll likely try disabling Noscript entirely to troubleshoot if the above is of no help and a fix for the Noscript click to play isn't likely in the very near future.
Re: my Hulu issue above (I have since created an account).

I noticed some Overriding failed (2147500037) redirect callback for 12: lines in the browser console for Hulu and I was wondering if that might be related to my issues. I did an internet search which didn't seem to find much but it did lead me to a thread it found on these forums viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20913&p=76635

That mentioned https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1171407 which mentions something about e10s (which I tried to lookup but don't understand). I do recall when checking my prefs.js file after upgrading from 44.0.2 to 45 that there was an additional setting that wasn't there before called extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons;true (listed as user set although I did not change it from default).

What does extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons;true do and is there any chance that could cause my issues? Is it safe to set to false to troubleshoot or will it just impact something else and it is best to try a new Firefox profile and test disabling Noscript entirely instead?

Thank you.