site bancsabadell.com hangs with NoScript

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
libove

site bancsabadell.com hangs with NoScript

Post by libove »

For some time I've been unable to access one of my banks' website, https://www.bancsabadell.com, in Firefox. It works fine in Chrome.
I recently got tired of occasionally hanging myself :) and started properly debugging.
Here's what I've found:

This is reproducible on Firefox, any recent version up to the current 44.0.2, in my case on Windows 7 64-bit (with all service packs and patches applied).
With NoScript any recent version up to the current dev 2.9.0.4.

Site: https://www.bancsabadell.com

To reproduce the problem:
Start with a blank Firefox profile.
Install NoScript.
Visit the site [url]https://www.bancsabadell.com[/url]
Click the NoScript toolbar icon and select the Allow the bancsabadell.com site.
Watch Firefox hang :-(

No debug log is available as Firefox hangs hard and must be killed to recover.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: site bancsabadell.com hangs with NoScript

Post by therube »

Issue certainly sounds familiar.
And almost always, banks are involved.
Some odd Full Domain (subset of bancsabadell.com) that buggers things up.
Don't know that I've actually seen a reason why this seems to continually affect NoScript users?

Once I allowed datalog.bancsabadell.com it says, "waiting for datalog.bancsabadell.com...", at which point it is hung.

NoScript | Options | Appearance ->
(check) Full Domains

Load www.bancsabadell.com
Temporarily Allow www.bancsabadell.com

At that point datalog.bancsabadell.com should then become visible

Go to the Untrusted menu, & mark datalog.bancsabadell.com as Untrusted

Options | Appearance
(uncheck) Full Domains (if you no longer need it)

See if that then works for you.
(Other threads talk about messing with ABE, if I recall.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.39
libove

Post by libove »

Hi @therube,
Thank you! I don't understand why ALLOWING a particular (host with).bancsabadell.com would cause the site to hang, but in fact that was it exactly - with Full Domains displayed, allowing me to Allow the top level domain while leaving specifically datalog.bancsabadell.com Untrusted, the site works in Firefox with NoScript!

It does seem to be something that the NoScript team should look in to for a future more general fix.

cheers,
Jay
billdfixer

Post by billdfixer »

Downgrading from NoScript 2.9.0.4 to NoScript 2.7 allowed me to login to my online bank without any problems and without changing any of my previous NoScript settings, just as I was able to do before. I am currently using Firefox 44.0.2.

Previous versions of NoScript can be found here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Downgrading NoScript may not be the best solution but I do not know of any other solution.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs (at AMO too - changelogs there are at billdfixer's link) to see what fixes you'll be missing out on, BEFORE downgrading NoScript that many versions!
In this case, I think that old NoScript will not work at all with recent Gecko, due to Gecko removing features those old NoScript versions depended on.

@billdfixer: Is NoScript 2.7 the latest working rc build?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
billdfixer

Post by billdfixer »

The latest rc is 2.9.0.4. With 2.9.0.4, I had to completely disable NoScript in order to successfully login to my online bank. I downgraded Firefox from 44.0.2 to 43.0.x then to 41.0.2 but neither downgrade allowed me to login. The only solution that I found for ANY recent version of Firefox was to downgrade NoScript to 2.7 (note: there is no 2.8). I do not condone downgrading but I could not find any other solution after spending about 8 hours testing different options. If there is a more elegant solution, it is beyond my knowledge.
billdfixer

Post by billdfixer »

Based on another post, I upgraded NoScript from 2.7 to 2.9.0.2 and can now login using Firefox 44.0.2. I tried using 2.9.0.3 but the login problem happened again. Obviously, something changed after 2.9.0.2 that causes this login problem on my banking website.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@billdfixer: Until the OP confirms that this issue is the same as what you experience, can you please keep discussion of your issue in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21630 only? It's really hard to keep track of a single discussion in multiple places.
Thanks.
-
libove

Post by libove »

I'm happy to try 2.9.0.2 to see if the problem with the Banc Sabadell site does not exist in that version.
How do I install a specific NoScript version, e.g. 2.9.0.2? (Sorry to have to ask).
thanks,
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Going to say from here, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... /versions/ (only because they should be signed, & not sure of otherwise?).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 SeaMonkey/2.39
billdfixer

Post by billdfixer »

libove wrote:I'm happy to try 2.9.0.2 to see if the problem with the Banc Sabadell site does not exist in that version.
How do I install a specific NoScript version, e.g. 2.9.0.2? (Sorry to have to ask).
thanks,
See my earlier post in this thread from Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:34 pm with the link to previous versions of NoScript. Scroll down that page to find the desired version then hover your mouse pointer over it then click on the "Install" button.
billdfixer

Post by billdfixer »

barbaz wrote:@billdfixer: Until the OP confirms that this issue is the same as what you experience, can you please keep discussion of your issue in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21630 only? It's really hard to keep track of a single discussion in multiple places.
Thanks.
My post at the quoted link was to report my problem issue, not knowing where else to report it. My posts in this thread were intended to confirm the issue and help someone else resolve their issue until the underlying problem could be determined and fixed. I can certainly understand the confusion, now, and will post no more. Thank you for pointing this out.
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

libove wrote:I don't understand why ALLOWING a particular (host with).bancsabadell.com would cause the site to hang
Usually because the site is running a misbehaving script. For example, it might be trying to load something from a domain that is still blocked, and retrying endlessly when it fails...
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
libove

Post by libove »

I tested with 2.9.0.2 - still hangs if datalog.bancsabadell.com is enabled.
So, whatever bandsabadell.com is doing wrong, it triggers something different (or isn't a NoScript problem at all, but rather a badly written script on the bank's website) which is causing it.
thanks to all. I'll pass this along to the bank. (And I won't hold my breath!)
-Jay
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@libove: I think yours is the same issue as in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21178
-