NoScript blocks elements on Space Weather Gallery

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Aimhere

NoScript blocks elements on Space Weather Gallery

Post by Aimhere »

Hi,

I frequently visit the site http://spaceweathergallery.com, which has a gallery of user-submitted images of auroras, meteors, and the like. My problem is that the image thumbnails are supposed to have text overlays with the image title, poster, date, and location, but with NoScript installed, this information is not present.

I've allowed scripts from the site itself, as well as the third-party google code site it depends on, yet cannot get the text overlays to appear, and it's beginning to annoy me. NoScript is definitely at fault, as the text overlays appear if I disable NoScript and restart my browser. But I don't know which of the myriad options in NoScript are causing the issue.

Any ideas?

(P.S. - using most current NoScript release on Firefox 44.0, though the issue has been going on ever since I started visiting the Space Weather Gallery website many months ago.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript blocks elements on Space Weather Gallery

Post by barbaz »

Aimhere wrote:third-party google code site it depends on
This is the problem. googlecode is a code repository (and will be shut down sometime soon), it is NOT meant for sites to just include files from it and this is what it's telling your browser, and NoScript's inclusion type checking filter is enforcing this. (the MIME type of the script(s) they're including is not a MIME type of Javascript)

The reason it's bad practice to include files directly from a repository in general is that you have no idea what the author(s) will commit, so you don't know if it will break stuff.

The fix is to contact the site, point them to this thread and tell them that googlecode is shutting down soon, and suggest they self-host the script(s).
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

barbaz wrote:The fix is to contact the site, point them to this thread and tell them that googlecode is shutting down soon, and suggest they self-host the script(s).
That is the Right Way for it to be fixed, yes.

There is a workaround to make NoScript ignore this bad behavior, but it is rather like deciding to regularly drink from a public pond: you really don't know what is in the water, or what will be there tomorrow.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(
Just to note, Error Console:

Code: Select all

[NoScript] Blocking cross-site Javascript served from http://jqueryjs.googlecode.com/files/jquery-1.3.2.min.js with wrong type info text/x-c, attachment; filename="jquery-1.3.2.min.js" and included by http://spaceweathergallery.com/
)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 SeaMonkey/2.39