[RESOLVED] Garbage on web page

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Traviata

[RESOLVED] Garbage on web page

Post by Traviata »

Hi,

Much as I appreciate NoScript, Find the garbage displayed on a couple of pages very distracting.
I'm getting garbage on my Earthlink start page and webmail page. When I disable NoScript, the garbage disappears. I'm assuming the garbage has something to do with the NoScript Preferences but, honestly, they are, for the most part, beyond me. Can I get some guidance here? Thanks.
Last edited by Thrawn on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resolved
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
barbaz

Re: Garbage on web page

Post by barbaz »

Please post screenshot of "garbage"
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Traviata

Post by Traviata »

Sorry - I took 2 screen shots but can't seem to post them: copy and paste won't paste and can't find an attachment option. Advise?

(I'm on a Macbook Pro using Yosemite, if that makes any difference)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Upload the images to your cloud storage (if you have) or some image hosting site (such as http://postimage.org/), and then post the link(s) here.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Traviata wrote:Not at all sure about this, but I think it will work
It did, but you forgot to obscure your personal information in the screenshot, so I've hidden your post.

The "garbage" is messed up HTML markup, and that is caused by NoScript's XSS filter taking action against very unsafe coding practice in "safeframe" advertisement. Assuming you don't want to severely compromise your security just to view the ad(s), you can either leave it alone or (recommended) find out and block that adserver's domain. In the past it has been tpc.googlesyndication.com, so assuming it's that domain in this case too, you can block it with ABE as follows:
NoScript Options > Advanced > ABE > USER, add

Code: Select all

Site tpc.googlesyndication.com
Deny
-
Traviata

Post by Traviata »

Thanks so much - for obscuring and the information -- appreciate it.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome Image
-
Traviata

Re: Garbage Followup

Post by Traviata »

Hi - again --

I can live with the garbage if I must but would really like to try getting rid of it. Following your instructions, I got to ABE>USER ok and tried entering the blocking information provided several different ways, all unsuccessful. I entered what you provided literally, from Code: to Deny, in the area to the right of USER, as 3 lines, one line, with and without Code:, Site, and other variations. By "unsuccessful" I mean the area remained blank after clicking ok and taking a look at it again, and there was no change after restarting Firefox.

I'm assuming my entry was made incorrectly and/or I should be clearing history or something else. Could you help? I'd really like to try this - maybe some literal instructions?
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Garbage Followup

Post by Thrawn »

Traviata wrote:By "unsuccessful" I mean the area remained blank after clicking ok and taking a look at it again, and there was no change after restarting Firefox.
"The area" as in "the area where you typed the rule"? Yeah, that shouldn't go blank.

You don't need the 'Code' part; that's just the forum being helpful. What you want is the green lines ('Site ...' and 'Deny'), which simply state that requests to tpc.googlesyndication.com should be blocked.

Rather than clicking OK, try just clicking somewhere else in the dialog. The rule should be checked and saved immediately.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
Traviata

Post by Traviata »

Thanks - I'll try it out --
Traviata

Post by Traviata »

Well, I entered as Thrawn instructed (thanks for your patience) and it was accepted but the garbage remains. I restarted Firefox, deleted Earthlink and Webmail cookies but still no difference. Any suggestions?
Traviata

Post by Traviata »

NO MORE GARBAGE!! My error - I took another look at what I'd entered and had neglected to enter .com. And VOILA - a beautiful, clear page. Thanks to Barbaz and Thrawn -- !
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: [RESOLVED] Garbage on web page

Post by Thrawn »

Good to hear it worked :)
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
grantwp

Post by grantwp »

The above instructions seem to have worked for me for some websites but not others. Is there a simple way to identify and block the offending source in the other cases?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@grantwp: Please post a link to one of the cases where it doesn't work (assuming they don't require login or similar to see the problem).
-