[Invalid] Multiple issues

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Multiple issues

Post by Thrawn »

That's a serious number of addons...

I notice QuickJava on the list; that has script-blocking capability, doesn't it? Any chance it's involved?
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

Again, I apologize for my slow pace here. A lot of it is due to offline issues that have been badly slowing me down across the board.

Anyways, in my limited testing I came up empty on a couple of fronts. This computer didn't have Clamwin set up- so I did and ran a scan- which came up empty. I also checked QJ and yes, it does have a script toggler- that I don't use. I only use it to toggle Java, Flash, CSS, images and animation. However, in it's controls it has a setting to toggle those(and others) by default on and off. I tried the Javascript both ways and no joy there.

The next step will be disabling add-ons in blocks. However, I may try QJ first- just in case. Years ago I was having toolbar issues and doing that enabled me to nail the culprit. For anyone having toolbar issues the #1 culprit are 3rd party toolbars, buggy extensions- or heaven forbid ones with both of those issues. If anyone comes here asking about that problem that almost certainly is the cause.

I do have some work that I need to get done before doing the disabling step. Depending on how that goes the next step will probably be the clean re-install of NS and then experimenting with profiles. In the next day or two I will report back and see what turns up.

EDIT: Disabling QJ was going to be a quick one. That failed- but it was worth a look anyways. Now it is time to go onwards and see what happens...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:25.6) Gecko/20150723 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.6.0
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

WOW!!! OK, I have no explanation for what it just did. Upon the next restart things are behaving normally. Beyond the initial toggling of it's javascript before the first restart I changed no settings- but after the second restart it appears that the culprit indeed was QuickJava.

I am testing out a bunch of previously broken sites and elements and so far a bunch of them are working- including in here. The text controls are working and I even have my signature color back! :)

I still am going to test out more sites and perhaps conduct some more experiments anyways- both of QJ and more just in case there is anything else going on. I still will report back even if the results just prove a negative.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:25.6) Gecko/20150723 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.6.0
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

OK, I think that I have it figured out. As I earlier indicated that long extension list had been stable for a long time and I had successfully cloned it many times. What I think happened is the last version of QJ came long after everything had been set up. Then, the newer versions added more options- which in my case had been set long ago.That is why I made the mistake of overlooking it. I previously had gone through up and down the list testing other likely culprits without success.

I was going to post a couple of images of what the correct settings for QJ but the spam filter here wasn't liking it. The short version when running it with NS you need to go into the settings in your add-on manager and make sure that javascript is set to "on" on initial load. If it gives you any trouble restart PM/FF a time or two and then it will take. I tested it out a couple of times and I can confirm that is it.

Then I don't recommend using it's toolbar buttons to toggle javascript, cookies or Silverlight. NoScript handles javascript, Cookie Whitelist With Buttons handles cookies and besides Microsoft pages who uses Silverlight?

Perhaps this one could be marked as having a potential conflict with NoScript if those settings clash on the later versions of QJ.

Thank you to everyone for the ideas there!

barbaz

Re: [Invalid] Multiple issues

Post by barbaz »

What version of QuickJava is cause the conflict?

also see PM
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

Alright, I am going to attempt this without my signature color for a post to see if that helps with the filters. Anyways, I currently have the latest of 2.0.4.1- but it appears that it may be time to experiment and install backwards versions one-by-one and see if any hiccups happen.

I also am doing the same thing with the ever-frustrating Ghostery. With that one I had to go all the way back to 2.72 to get an actual working one. However, with that one there is going to be a snag: The AMO process automatically jumps to the latest version. It appears- just like with QJ- if you start with an older version and gradually update some problems don't happen. If you install with the latest version and aren't grandfathered in then you get them. This would make error reporting/debugging even more difficult because 2 people could have what appear to be identical setups and get vastly different results. That is what the evidence I am seeing is telling me. What further bolsters that evidence is the fact that I have cloned previous setups and they worked flawlessly. When doing a fresh setup of what should be the exact same things then problems spring up.

Lastly, I am going to re-attempt to post the QJ settings that I recommend for daily use and what should avoid any conflicts. One will be the master settings in the extensions manager and the other will be my permissions group in my (very customized) toolbars. Next to them in that group will also be controls for sound, pop-ups and right-click handlers. To the left of that is my login group and immediately to the right of it is the security group- with 3 NoScript buttons. Without further ado, here are the recommended settings:

apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

Now here is a brief explanation for the QJ settings:

What you are seeing on the toolbars is:

Java(commonly confused for javascript) set to almost never activate.

Flash to be toggled regularly.

Then CSS, images and animation almost always on.

Not shown:

Javascript: Obviously better handled by NoScript than a simple toggling.

Cookies: which are mainly handled by Cookie Whitelist With Buttons and not shown.

Proxies: which I rarely use and are handled by(probably soon to be dumped) Foxyproxy.

Silverlight: used to be shown but it is used on so few sites that I no longer found it worth the space.

I hope this can help everyone else who wants to set very fine-grained permissions. Good luck everyone!