New built in HTTPS Enforcment vs HTTPSEverywhere

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
MajinXES

New built in HTTPS Enforcment vs HTTPSEverywhere

Post by MajinXES »

Hello!

While studying the release notes of V. 2.6.9.8 of NoScript I noticed an awesome and new little feature that came with it. Namely the "Built-in HTTPS enforcement list, seeded with www.youtube.com.

Since I'm also using the HTTPSEverywhere-Addon for Firefox (https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere) I wondered if this "new" feature makes HTTPSEverywhere obsolete and if i can deinstall the AddOn? I mean, why using two AddOns for the same purpose and let them slow down my computer (FF).

I really hope you can help me with this simple and maybe noobish question.

Thanks in advance! :)

MajinXES
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: New built in HTTPS Enforcment vs HTTPSEverywhere

Post by Giorgio Maone »

No, the built-in list is meant to fix incompatibility problems, rather than providing best-effort encryption on most popular websites, which is HTTPSEverywhere's mission.
Simply, I don't have the manpower to perform the necessary editorial work to maintain a general list.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
MajinXES

Post by MajinXES »

No worries Giorgio!
It was my bad misunderstanding the release notes and not your's not having the manpower to maintain a general list. You do enough keeping NS uptodate. :)

Thanks for your fast and helpful reply btw. I just stay with HTTPSEverywhere and NoScript then ^^
:)

MajinXES
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Also, HTTPS Everywhere stores its rules as an SQLite database, which is a format NoScript doesn't use anywhere else, so it would be non-trivial (though theoretically possible) for NoScript to make use of the HTTPS Everywhere ruleset.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

HTTPS Everywhere also allows for much more advanced rules, like redirection to a different subdomain.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0