Middle-click on NoScript icon temp-allows current site

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
barbaz

Middle-click on NoScript icon temp-allows current site

Post by barbaz »

SeaMonkey "2.28.2-unofficial-1", NS latest development build, new profile
I've accidentally discovered that if you are on a Forbidden site and you middle-click the NoScript icon, the top-level site is Temp-Allowed. How to disable that behavior? I don't want the top-level site Temp-Allowed unless I actually left-click the menu item.

(In my normal profile it Temp-Allows the full domain, but in a clean profile it Temp-Allows the 2nd-level domain.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Middle-click on NoScript icon temp-allows current site

Post by therube »

> you middle-click the NoScript icon, the top-level site is Temp-Allowed

Long standing shortcut key [feature].

> if you are on a Forbidden site

Ah, now the two together may not have been thought of?

> In my normal profile it Temp-Allows the full domain, but in a clean profile it Temp-Allows the 2nd-level domain

I'll expect that depends on your setting of Options | General -> Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button toggles permissions for current top-level site.

(Now [all of those] settings are grayed out for me & I'm not sure why? Bug.)

> Bug.

It's this viewtopic.php?p=71790#p71790 & that is confusing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:> you middle-click the NoScript icon, the top-level site is Temp-Allowed

Long standing shortcut key [feature].
That is really annoying, because my mouse has two side buttons that function as the middle button, and I often accidentally click the side button on the right. (no I can't reconfigure my mouse, I'm on a Mac and I don't use Apple mice so I don't get the option to configure it)
What prompted me to post this topic is that I accidentally side-clicked the NS icon and as a result Temp-Allowed JS that I neither needed nor wanted to run.
therube wrote:I'll expect that depends on your setting of Options | General -> Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button toggles permissions for current top-level site.
Don't think so - it's set to "Full addresses" here in my main profile (and I think that's default?).
Seems rather to be dependant on finest level of granularity in the menu - I show full domains but the clean profile only shows base 2nd-level domains.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/537.4 (KHTML like Gecko) Chrome/22.0.1229.79 Safari/537.4
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Well I've taken a different route to "solving" this problem for the moment: dig up an old mouse from early 2000's which has only 3 buttons, and use that instead of my 5-button mouse...
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Patch to make this disable-able by about:config pref

Code: Select all

$ diff -r ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1_xpi_files ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1-mod_xpi_files 
diff -r ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1_xpi_files/chrome/noscript_jar/content/noscript/noscriptOverlay.js ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1-mod_xpi_files/chrome/noscript_jar/content/noscript/noscriptOverlay.js
187c187
<     if (ev.button === 1) {
---
>     if (this.ns.getPref('middlemouse_temp_allow_page') && ev.button === 1) {
Binary files ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1_xpi_files/chrome/noscript.jar and ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1-mod_xpi_files/chrome/noscript.jar differ
diff -r ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1_xpi_files/defaults/preferences/noscript.js ./noscript-2.6.9.21rc1-mod_xpi_files/defaults/preferences/noscript.js
430c430,431
< pref("noscript.removalWarning", true);
\ No newline at end of file
---
> pref("noscript.removalWarning", true);
> pref("noscript.middlemouse_temp_allow_page", true);
EDIT Oops, I probably chose a really sucky name for the about:config pref because MMB doesn't Temporarily allow all this page. :oops:
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Feature:
v 2.0.9rc3
===============================================================
+ Middle clicking toolbar button temporarily allows all on current page

Suggested:
noscript.middlemouse_temp_allow_page
Is:
noscript.middlemouse_temp_allow_main_site
I think the suggested name actually made more sense, because that is what middle-click the NoScript icon does.

"main site", to me, infers one site, rather then (possibly) multiple.

Anyhow, if you set the Pref to 'false', that disables the middle-mouse-click on NoScript icon functionality.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.33.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:Suggested:
noscript.middlemouse_temp_allow_page
Is:
noscript.middlemouse_temp_allow_main_site
I think the suggested name actually made more sense, because that is what middle-click the NoScript icon does.
I thought temp_allow_main_site made more sense, to avoid confusion with "Temporarily allow all this page" (which should really have been named something like "Temporarily allow all listed sites" or "Temporarily allow all sites you see on this menu" IMO, but that's a different story.)

EDIT Oh.. I see what you're saying... that was changed I guess. MMB does not Temp allow all this page anymore, it just temp allows the top-level site at (I think) the finest level of granularity you select to show in your NoScript menu.
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

No, if set to 'true', which is the default, behavior is as it has always been.

If set to 'false', then the functionality is disabled altogether.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Well that's weird, because it doesn't Temporarily allow all this page for me... Image

EDIT Oh, wait, it does Temp allow all this page on some sites but not on others... :?: :?
-
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Good day.
therube wrote:No, if set to 'true', which is the default, behavior is as it has always been.
I have exactly what works.
But, in the "Main good news" written: noscript.middlemouse_temp_allow_main_site about:config preference to control whether middle-clicking the toolbar button should allow current top document's site (The one that is in bold, as I understand it).
Whether it was to change the behavior of the Middle-click?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I'm not sure. It appears that the behavior of the middle mouse button is inconsistent, some sites it'll allow the main site and others it'll Temporarily allow all this page.

The patch referenced by the news item did not change the action that the middle mouse would perform on the NoScript icon, just gave a way to disable it.
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Also note the setting at:

NoScript | Options | General |-> Left clicking on NoScript toolbar icon toggles permissions for current top-level site

Maybe something in there is playing into the equation?
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Thanks.
Apparently I misunderstood "... should allow current top document's site". Middle-click = command "Temporarily allow all this page" (as it was before).
barbaz wrote:The patch referenced by the news item did not change the action that the middle mouse would perform on the NoScript icon, just gave a way to disable it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Hmm, maybe it's just for me that it's inconsistent...
I'll ask Giorgio to change that pref name to the original suggestion in the next dev build.
-
SeaPuppy

Post by SeaPuppy »

Oh good, I see there is a discussion of this news item.

For my use of NS, I took the news as presenting a way to disable the middlemouse completely if it doesn't fit in with a user's style.

At this site, with flyout sticky menu option (Open menu on hover), middlemouse TAs the one and only menu site.
At forums.mozillazine.org the first middlemouse TAs all sites in menu except google-analytics
The second middlemouse TAs the google-analytics site. Thus all sites are TAed with 2 middlemouse clicks.
BUT if I revoke all TAs in the same session and middlemouse again on the Zine forums - all sites are TAed in one click. Is it going into NS's cache somehow for the cascasing routine?
On a site with heaps of domains in its NS menu, the middleclick TAs many but not all sites in the first menu presented, the second middleclick TAs all the rest, with, on the same site, TAing all sites if permissions are revoked,then the icon middleclicked again in the same session.
For example smh.com.au
Caching again?
I haven't found a site with 3 lots of matrioska style scripts to test.

Any further middlemousing has no effect. It doesn't appear to be a 2-way toggle.

With the non-flyout menu option (the one that therube points out) - ie the left click emulation of CTRL SHFT \, which I argue is the basic genius NS invention, ie a rapid switch for JS on and off at a single domain -
the middlemouse has the same effect on those 2 sites as it does with the flyout menu.
It sticks the domain of a single domain menu into TA and adds further domains it may have not included with further clicks. But the first click switches not only the main domain when there are multiples in the NS menu. It appears to switch some in the first click and then the rest in the second click. Then, if all TAs are revoked in the same session and the icon is again middleclicked, all sites are TAed, cascading style.

If I could take users back to ye NS Olden Dayes, there was only the left click or CTRL SHIFT \ toggle to TA; the flyout sticky menu was a fairly late but much loved addition.
Being averse to flyout menus, and rarely using the mouse,I've disabled the middlemouse action in case of temporary inattention.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1