Making a single temporary permission permament

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
jcarls

Making a single temporary permission permament

Post by jcarls »

HI...

I've searched a bit and played with the interface, but I don't see an obvious option to handle this very common problem:

Many news aggregation sites include videos sourced from a variety of sources along with massive amounts of 3rd-party advertising. (www.crooksandliars.com is a good example, because its videos may come from almost any other news organization). I often run into a situation where a video will not play. So, I start using "Temporarily allow..." on site addresses that seem like likely sources (sometimes there is no NoScript icon in the video box, which is completely blank or has a false positive "you need to update"-type of message).

I may have to temporarily allow several sites before I hit the right source and the video appears—and sometimes it takes more than a few tries. When I do this, the only NoScript option for that site is now "Forbid..." which makes it drop off the main list completely, forcing me to find it again under the "Untrusted" option and then make the permission permanent. It seems like an obvious choice would be to add "Make temporary permission permanent" as a second option for a temporarily-allowed site that you verify is one you need.

Without that, I sometimes just get tired of spending the time to find the right source site and simply use "Temporarily allow all on this site" just to get on with things, which is worrisome.

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Making a single temporary permission permament

Post by therube »

There is Options | Appearance -> Make page permissions permanent, though I'm not quite sure what that does?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0 SeaMonkey/2.29
jcarls

Post by jcarls »

Thanks... I've assumed that "page permissions" would make all temporary permissions permanent on the active page, so that wouldn't work. I just want an easy way to make a single content source permanent once I determine it is the source of some missing content (or in some cases, the formatting that makes a page display properly).
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

"Make page permissions permanent" will add to your whitelist, all Temp-Allowed sites present on the active tab.

Forbidding a site shouldn't dump it in Untrusted, unless you've got scripts globally allowed...

If you use the sticky menu, you could Forbid, then Allow, a single site, without closing the menu.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.28
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

barbaz wrote: Forbidding a site shouldn't dump it in Untrusted, unless you've got scripts globally allowed...
That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess this is one use case where Scripts Globally Allowed is not the user-friendly mode.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
jcarls

Post by jcarls »

barbaz wrote:"Make page permissions permanent" will add to your whitelist, all Temp-Allowed sites present on the active tab.

Forbidding a site shouldn't dump it in Untrusted, unless you've got scripts globally allowed...

If you use the sticky menu, you could Forbid, then Allow, a single site, without closing the menu.
No, "allow globally" is definitely not enabled (shudder).

However, this isn't reflecting what I'm actually seeing (Win 8.1, NoScript version: 2.6.8.41):
  • 1. If I right-click and select "Temporarily allow <site>" the site is enabled.
    2. If I right-click again, the only option now available for <site> is "Forbid <site>" This is the case for both the right-click menu and the sticky menu.
    3. If I select "Forbid <site>" the site is no longer listed on the main context menu if I right-click again. However, I can find it under the "Untrusted" submenu, listed with both "Temporarily allow" and "Allow" options.

What I believe is needed is to see an "Allow <site>" option added to the existing "Forbid <site>" option that appears after you temporarily allow a site. If you then decide the site is okay for permanent whitelisting (#2 above) it makes it easy to do so without all the extra steps described above. I only want to do this for a single site, since I may have temporarily allowed several source sites before finding the one that solved the rendering problem the main site was having. Thanks!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*** EDIT: This post might be totally irrelevant, see below ***
jcarls wrote:
  • 1. If I right-click and select "Temporarily allow <site>" the site is enabled.
    2. If I right-click again, the only option now available for <site> is "Forbid <site>" This is the case for both the right-click menu and the sticky menu.
    3. If I select "Forbid <site>" the site is no longer listed on the main context menu if I right-click again. However, I can find it under the "Untrusted" submenu, listed with both "Temporarily allow" and "Allow" options.
And that last is wrong behavior. It won't help to asking for an RFE to work around the software not working the way it's supposed to.

Some things that might help you pin down the cause:
Have you got "Temporarily allow top-level sites by default" or "Allow sites opened through bookmarks" checked?
Does the issue happen in a clean profile with only NS installed and all default settings? What if you then import your NoScript settings using import and export settings *on the very bottom* of NoScript Options?
If the answer to both those last two questions is "no", you'll need to do Standard Diagnostic (keeping NoScript enabled the whole time) to isolate and correct the source of the issue.

Please let us know the results, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD amd64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

about:config -> reset noscript.forbidImpliesUntrust ?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD amd64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26.1