[RESOLVED] NoScript causes some Yahoo! pages to stall

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post

Re: NoScript 2.6.8.31 in FF30 causes page loads to stall [Ya

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem and went through a long process to pin it down to Noscript, I am running 2.6.8.35. This has just started in the last few weeks. I can disable scripts globally and still have the slow loads from Yahoo links, the only way I get normal load times from a yahoo link is when I totally remove No script and restart Firefox (31.0). Was on FF 30.0 and still same problem.

No problems in IE, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with all updates.

Bottom line I totally remove No scripts, all is well. Load Noscripts and disable scripts globally, have the problem. Disable global scripts and still have problem, really no difference if disabled or enabled globally. First issue I ever had with Noscript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

That was my post above, somehow I was signed in as a guest, sorry, don't know how I got in as a guest. I should have added, I am not forbid anything on the slow loading pages, it shows I allow yahoo.com and yimg.com, nothing shows up as needing allowed.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Others in this thread found it to be something on Yahoo's end. Are you sure that it wasn't a coincidence that it worked properly disabling NoScript?

If you are sure it wasn't a coincidence, are there any message(s) from NoScript in the Browser Console (Ctrl-Shift-J) when the Yahoo page loads slowly, and if so, could you please post them here?
(if you don't know what's from NoScript, turn off CSS warnings and post all remaining messages)

(In making this post I'm assuming that you meant "it works with NS disabled but not with Scripts Globally Allowed and nothing in Untrusted". Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0 SeaMonkey/2.30a1
abuskandar

Post by abuskandar »

OK, so I've been following this now for several weeks and several updates of NoScript. The issue still persists. I even loaded Adblock Plus and today I experienced a horrible page load going to the following URL (https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb ... 47668.html). No comments on the URL please... ;-)

I was patient, but it took nearly a minute for FF to begin to respond. I seriously thought FF crashed. Below is the output from the console, somewhat sanitized.

FF 31 and NS 2.6.8.35

--------------------------

"DEPRECATED: The widget module is deprecated. Please consider using the sdk/ui module instead.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm", line 298, in TaskImpl_run
let yielded = aSendResolved ? this._iterator.send(aSendValue)
File "jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/%7Bd10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d%7D.xpi!/lib/io.js", line 212, in exports.IO.readFromFile/<
onProgress(data);
File "jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/%7Bd10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d%7D.xpi!/lib/io.js", line 103, in exports.IO.readFromFile/onProgress
listener.process(lines);
File "jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/%7Bd10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d%7D.xpi!/lib/filterStorage.js", line 896, in INIParser.prototype.process
Utils.yield();
File "jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/%7Bd10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d%7D.xpi!/lib/utils.js", line 380, in exports.Utils.yield
while (thread.processNextEvent(false));
File "resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js", line 742, in this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop
this.handlers.shift().process();
File "resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js", line 863, in Handler.prototype.process
nextValue = this.onResolve.call(undefined, nextValue);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js", line 113, in startup/<
run(options);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js", line 149, in run
let program = main(options.loader, options.main);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 647, in main
return loader.load(loader, module).exports;
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js", line 129, in CuddlefishLoader/options<.load
result = load(loader, module);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 299, in load
evaluate(sandbox, module.uri);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 262, in evaluate
: loadSubScript(uri, sandbox, encoding);
File "resource://onepassword-at-agilebits-dot-com/onepassword/lib/global.min.js", line 452, in null
pb=require("sdk/page-mod"),ub=require("sdk/widget"),N=require("sdk/tabs"),S=require("sdk/self").data;require("sdk/hotkeys");
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 621, in require
freeze(load(loader, module));
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js", line 129, in CuddlefishLoader/options<.load
result = load(loader, module);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 299, in load
evaluate(sandbox, module.uri);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 262, in evaluate
: loadSubScript(uri, sandbox, encoding);
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/widget.js", line 59, in null
"The widget module is deprecated. " +
File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/util/deprecate.js", line 18, in deprecateUsage
let stack = get().slice(2);" deprecate.js:21
"Exception caught:
name: Error
type: undefined
message: The page is currently hidden and can no longer be used until it is visible again.
stack: processMessage@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/con ... r.js:237:5
emitEventToContent@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/con ... .js:281:31
Ab.onAttach/</<@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://onepassword-at-agilebits-dot ... js:454:399
Xa@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://onepassword-at-agilebits-dot ... js:377:411
Ab.onAttach/<@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://onepassword-at-agilebits-dot ... js:454:327
emit@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/event/core.js:96:9
portEmit@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/con ... .js:330:25
emit@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/event/core.js:96:9
onContentEvent/<@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/userxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ux07n0c2.default/extensions/onepassword@agilebits.com.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/con ... .js:371:23
delay/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/lan ... .js:208:20
notify@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/timers.js:40:9

undefined:undefined" global.min.js:274
"Exception: {}" global.min.js:274
"yui: NOT loaded: dom-deprecated" combo:14
"yui: NOT loaded: node-deprecated" combo:14
"RAPID WARNING: Specified module not in DOM: mediacontentfollowproperty" combo:27
"DARLA notice: 405" g-r-min.js:1
"DARLA notice: 510" g-r-min.js:1
"darla csc writer, potential invalid html content" r-csc.html:21
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

I am still having same issue, tested again today with this link that takes about one minute before FF unlocks and allows any clicking on tabs. http://news.yahoo.com/cnn-gaza-blast-li ... 00574.html

I can even click on the option to "Allow Scripts Globally (dangerous)" and it still hangs up FF. The only way I could get the page to load fast was with IE or disable Noscripts via the addon options. I tried many different ways, didn't help if I allowed all the page temporarily.

The only way make work normal, was to disable Noscripts via the addon options screen and choose disable everything or disable script checking (then restart FF), both those options allowed for a fast loading of the page. Found it wierd that that worked and the "Allow Scripts Globally (dangerous)" didn't work. Well the other way was load page with IE.

FF 31.0 Noscripts 2.6.8.35 Windows 7
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

abuskandar wrote:No comments on the URL please... ;-)
Here's one: The forum mangled the URL. Please wrap in URL tags, like this

Code: Select all

[url]your link here[/url]
:lol:

SCNR
diverjer wrote:The only way make work normal, was to disable Noscripts via the addon options screen and choose disable everything or disable script checking (then restart FF), both those options allowed for a fast loading of the page.
@diverjer: What is "disable script checking"?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD amd64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 SeaMonkey/2.23
NSfan

Post by NSfan »

diverjer wrote:I can even click on the option to "Allow Scripts Globally (dangerous)" and it still hangs up FF. The only way I could get the page to load fast was with IE or disable Noscripts via the addon options. I tried many different ways, didn't help if I allowed all the page temporarily.
Well, selecting "Forbid Yahoo.com" in NoScript also works for me but that is by no means a solution to this issue. Yahoo pages will load quickly but then nothing else on the page works properly (you can't click images, view comments, etc.).

What I find rather strange is this: I initially select "Forbid Yahoo.com" in NoScript. Yahoo pages I select load quickly but, as mentioned above, full functionality is missing. If I then select "Allow Yahoo.com", the page very quickly reloads and full functionality is restored. I find that behavior counter-intuitive because I would have expected the page to reload very slowly (and almost hang) the same way the pages do when "Allow Yahoo.com" is selected initially.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 Cyberfox/31.0.1
NSfan

Post by NSfan »

barbaz wrote:Others in this thread found it to be something on Yahoo's end....
I was one of those "others" and it certainly does appear as if something has changed "on Yahoo's end". The problem is whatever Yahoo has a detrimental affect ONLY with NoScript. Any Yahoo changes that have occurred do not affect page loading when using, say, IE or Chrome. The changes also do not affect page loading when using any of the Firefox variants I have tried WITHOUT NoScript.

In short, despite the fact that Yahoo might have made some changes on its end, NoScript IS the problem as page loading times are not affected unless NoScript is installed and implemented.

I'm hoping that the NoScript developers can figure out what's happening here and rectify it because Yahoo is certainly not going to be making changes on its end simply because using some browser add-on causes Yahoo pages to load slowly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 Cyberfox/31.0.1
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Barbaz

In FF go to Tools drop down and select Add-ons, a new tab will open, click on Extensions, find Noscripts and click on Disable, you will get a pop up window with 3 options.

1. Yes remove all protection
2. No, just stop blocking scripts
3. Cancel

Select option 1 or 2 and restart FF.

You can always go back in later and enable No scripts through Tools, Add ons, extensions, locate Noscripts which will be at bottom and gray color, enable and restart FF to put Noscripts back active.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I've finally managed to reproduce a 5-6 seconds stall with the latest URL you posted.
By looking at the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J) I could figure out that Yahoo! is using an extremely stupid ads delivery system called "darla", based on passing around HTML and JavaScript using window.name (DOM XSS by design).
This triggers the XSS filter and sanitization many times per page, causing the delay.
I've worked around this by adding a surrogate which "neutralizes" darla if loaded.

Bottom line: please check latest development build 2.6.8.37rc1, thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

That does fix the issue I was experiencing with Yahoo links to web pages. Yahoo does seem to make changes that affect and require users to modify standards operating procedures. The latest was they turned autocomplete off on email passwords, got around that by using FF inspect element and changing HTML code to on.

Writing code to anticipate all the possible web developers techniques has to be a challenge. I have a pretty good idea of the task, I use to be the system software technicians for large mainframe systems and server farms. Been retired now for a little over 10 years, but still remember the stress.
NSfan

Post by NSfan »

Thank you so much, Giorgio! The development build, v2.6.8.37rc1, works perfectly for me. I appreciate the hard work to resolve this issue.

Once again, grazie mille!!!!!!!!!!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Giorgio Maone wrote:By looking at the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J)
@Giorgio: Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but for future reference, how did you look at the Browser Console / Error Console to see the related messages? They didn't show up for me or anyone else, even though the XSS logging seems to be working fine...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD amd64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 SeaMonkey/2.23
therube
Ambassador

Re: [RESOLVED] NoScript causes some Yahoo! pages to stall

Post by therube »

Can't recall if I had looked earlier, or I may have filtered on Errors instead of Messages or All?

http://pastebin.com/NHmcrpjF

That's ugly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26.1
G

Re: [RESOLVED] NoScript causes some Yahoo! pages to stall

Post by G »

I am still having problems with Yahoo freezing when NoScript is enabled despite having the latest development build installed.

I also created a new profile, only installed NoScript, with it enabled Yahoo hangs. With it disabled, Yahoo works normally.

I use the Pale Moon browser, but I also carried out the above procedure with Firefox, and I get the same results.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:24.7) Gecko/20140725 Firefox/24.7 PaleMoon/24.7.0