no video controls for video tag in Firefox 3.5 with NoScript

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Morac

no video controls for video tag in Firefox 3.5 with NoScript

Post by Morac »

I'm noticing that with NoScript installed in Firefox 3.5, that video using the <video> tag won't play unless I temporarily allow javascript on the page. This is true, even if the page has no javascript code on it.

For example, go to this page, click on the embeded video and choose "Okay" from the NoScript prompt.

One would expect the video to start playing, but it does not. Also there are no video controls. In order to get the video controls, I have to click the noscript status bar icon and temporary allow the web page. If you look at the web page's source, there is no javascript code.

The same thing happens if you try to go to the video directly. While the video plays by itself, there are no controls. To get the controls the page must be temporarily allowed.

NoScript should allow the built-in browser code that controls playback of video tags, if the video itself is allowed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 GTB5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: no video controls for video tag in Firefox 3.5 with NoScript

Post by Giorgio Maone »

It's a Firefox bug, not NoScript's fault.
I could try (and probably will, as soon as I've got the time) to work around with an ugly and expensive hack (hooking my own implementation of the relevant event handlers), but the fix really belongs to the browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Many efforts to mitigate this issue in latest development build 1.9.5.7 :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Grumpy Old Lady

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

Morac wrote:This is true, even if the page has no javascript code on it.
I'm unable to find an example of the new video 5 stuff without JS (aside from direct download links of course).
For example, go to this page, click on the embeded video and choose "Okay" from the NoScript prompt.
If you look at the web page's source, there is no javascript code.
eh? There is a JS on that page, called "video.js" that's needed for the controls.

Anyway, the fix in 1.9.5.7 has restored sanity. :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5