www.gocomics.com bug with NoScript installed

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
nabsltd

www.gocomics.com bug with NoScript installed

Post by nabsltd »

On the GoComics site (http://www.gocomics.com/), if NoScript is installed and enabled, then the "zoom" function on the comics (hover over the comic and a magnifying glass appears, then click to zoom) does not work.

This happens even if "Allow Scripts Globally" is set. I even disabled every other feature (XSS, etc.) and still see the same behavior.

The only way to get the zoom function on the site to work is to disable NoScript and restart Firefox.

I updated to NoScript 2.6.8.1 on Tuesday, but this issue did not appear until today, so it must be something in the code for the site that has changed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: www.gocomics.com bug with NoScript installed

Post by therube »

Works for me.
Did nothing special, except I Allowed Scripts Globally (only because I didn't want to be bothered trying to figure out what might or might not be needed).

So ... something else blocking? Adblock Plus?

I'm using 2.6.8.2rc1 & SeaMonkey 2.22a2.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.22a2
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

therube wrote:Works for me.
Did nothing special, except I Allowed Scripts Globally (only because I didn't want to be bothered trying to figure out what might or might not be needed).

So ... something else blocking? Adblock Plus?
NoScript is the only enabled add-on, and "Allow Scripts Globally" is set.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
skkukuk

Post by skkukuk »

I just recently started having this problem too. I think gocomics changed how they do the enlarge/zoom feature.

I am just another noscript user, but it appears to have something to do with 'addthis.com' scripts, which I don't normally allow. Not sure if there is a way around this without allowing addthis.com scripts to run.

Maybe a noscript expert can chime in with options?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
skkukuk

Post by skkukuk »

Additional information to my last post:

I think the script involved is:
s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js

So what I have done is to allow s7.addthis.com on a permanent basis in noscript, and then added the following ABE rules to (hopefully) allow the script to run when invoked from a gocomics.com page, stripping off any identity information, but prevent anything else from addthis.com running on gocomics OR anywhere else.

Code: Select all

Site http://s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js
Anonymize from .gocomics.com
Deny

Site .addthis.com
Deny
Any comments on the above are welcome, especially if I coded the ABE rules correctly.

Hope this helps the original poster BUT use at your own risk (at least until an expert comments!)
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Looks good, so long as that's the only script needed :).

My only (minor) suggestion is to use the leading dot wildcard, instead of an asterisk. Asterisk means 'any subdomain'; leading dot means 'this domain and any subdomain'. I've updated the original to reflect this (and put it in code tags so it's easy to copy).

If addthis isn't actually doing anything useful, it just needs to be there, then the other option would be to write a surrogate script.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
skkukuk

Post by skkukuk »

Thanks for the feedback! I changed my ABE rule to remove the asterisk. Also, I will try and remember to use the code tag next time. I agree that looks and works much better.