Allow local directory path (whishlist)

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
ede545

Allow local directory path (whishlist)

Post by ede545 »

Hi, Giorgio!

First of all let me say that noscript is a great tool, I love it. Thanks so much for your work, it's very much appreciated!

I have two low priority questions, maybe they are wishlist items:

Is there a way to selectively allow a local directory path, i.e., file:///C:/whatever/directory/ and all its subdirectories? The reason is that I have a local copy of Perldoc on my disk, which needs Javascript (as you might now). Now currently I simply use "Temporarily allow file://" and it's really no big deal, but I was just wondering if there is a way to automate that (lazy as I am). The user has no write permissions on that directory tree, so it should be save to have it permanently allowed.

Second question (even more exotic): Is it possible to temporarily disable the whitelist, i.e., something like "Block Scripts Globally?" Admittedly, very rarely needed, although lately I looked for such an option (can't remember why exactly). It could also be seen as an "emergency stop button," if you will.

I know that your GUI is already well equipped, so you will carefully think about any further additions. So again, think of it as two low priority wishlist items, no more.

Eric
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Nan M
Ambassador

Re: Allow local directory path (whishlist)

Post by Nan M »

ede545 wrote:Is it possible to temporarily disable the whitelist, i.e., something like "Block Scripts Globally?"
Quickly block JS?
Fx Prefs Content tab :arrow: uncheck 'Enable JavaScript' - -and refresh, of course
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Thanks for your suggestions.
The file:/// path-level granularity is quite difficult to achieve, since it's not supported by Mozilla's ScriptSecurityManager component doesn't support it.

Regarding your second questions, you may want to try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1237
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
ede545

Post by ede545 »

Many thanks for your quick replies!

Well, the fact that file:/// paths are not (yet?) supported by Mozilla's ScriptSecurityManager explains why you haven't implemented it. As I said, it's no big deal and definitely not worth it to spend a lot of hours on a workaround.

Turning off Javascript in Mozilla's option menu. Uh, that's possible---and embarrassing!

You know, before discovering NoScript I used (had) to switch between Javascript on and off a lot. And I hated that. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't even think about turning it off in Mozilla's options menu. But good point!

On the other hand, QuickJava looks like it does exactly what I wanted. Thank you very much for the link!

Eric
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7