Blocking Liverail's ads in flash?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
cattz

Blocking Liverail's ads in flash?

Post by cattz »

I've been running into ad's from liverail.com within flash or streaming videos/sites and getting constantly barraged with them, is starting to drive me crazy.

Can block the site, but it doesn't stop it from running ads through the media every 20 seconds.

Read through all the Faq's and have been trying to search but flash ads and liverail are all pretty common words/terms that it wants to filter out. Is there an option I'm missing or is this something I should use that flashblock that's mentioned in the faq?

Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.3;MEGAUPLOAD 1.0 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Blocking Liverail's ads in flash?

Post by Tom T. »

Open NoScript menu > Options > Plugins > Forbid Adobe Flash. Check this box. On the same tab, check "Show placeholder icon" if not already checked. (I recommend "Collapse blocked objects" also, just to save the screen space taken up by this garbage, but it's not needed for your purpose.) If these ads are running at your trusted sites, you'll also have to check "Apply these restrictions to trusted sites too".

You will then have to allow, or temporarily allow, some items at your trusted sites manually. When there is a Flash object that you *want* to view -- say, a YouTube video -- there will be a red NoScript logo showing that an object is blocked. Click it. You will be prompted for confirmation (unless you've configured NS not to require confirmation -- not recommended, stick with "Ask for confirmation... on the same tab"). Click OK, and your desired video will run.

Edit: There is also the option of using ad-blocking software offered by others. The above solution requires only the NoScript that you already have, but the ad-blocking tools should have been mentioned.
Last edited by Tom T. on Sat May 23, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add adblock ref
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

cattz wrote:I've been running into ad's from liverail.com within flash or streaming videos/sites and getting constantly barraged with them, is starting to drive me crazy.
I haven't run across any liverail ads, as far as I know. They aren't blocked in Adblock Plus by EasyList and there's no reference to liverail on the EasyList or Adblock Plus forums. It would be interesting to see what you're talking about. Could you post the URLs of some pages that contain these ads?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

cattz wrote:I've been running into ad's from liverail.com within flash or streaming videos/sites
I need to confirm that I understood you correctly. I read this as: You are receiving Flash videos of liverail ads. Therefore, the advice to block Flash.
On second look, perhaps you are saying that on sites rich with Flash (like YouTube) you are getting ads, not necessarily Flash ads, perhaps text and plain graphics.
Is this the case?
Can block the site, but it doesn't stop it from running ads through the media every 20 seconds.
Blocking liverail.com might not be effective if the ads are delivered by a third-party ad agency, which they usually are. Have you opened NS menu and seen what scripts are running? For example, if doubleclick.net is running scripts, block that and see if it stops the ads. (Clear the cache and reload the page, or close/restart the browser and go back.)

This works if the ads are delivered with scripting, which so many are these days. However, *If* it is a plain text-and-still-photo ad, with no scripting, then NS will not be effective. It is a blocker of executable content, not an ad blocker per se. Here is where third-party ad blockers come in handy. Or block graphics from the source in Firefox > Tools > Options > Content > Load images automatically > Exceptions.

This is why Alan Baxter asked you to point us to the specific sites. It's so much easier to give a definite answer if we can reproduce what you are dealing with, and see it directly ourselves. Thanks.

P.S. Just went to liverail.com. Another hazard of replying based on assumption - my bad. I read it as "liver ail" -- ailments of the liver (don't drink so much!) It's "Live Rail" and it's an ad technology company, so they're the ones delivering the ads, or providing methods for others to do so. All the more important to provide some URLs so we can see it in action.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard