Bank Of America Wants To Force JavaScript

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
therube
Ambassador

Bank Of America Wants To Force JavaScript

Post by therube »

Bank Of America Wants To Force JavaScript usage on their Online Banking website.

You can log in without it.
You can see your account list without it.
But then when you open a particular account, you are greeted with this nonsense.

As it states, it is a modal dialog, & opaque, so you can still kind of see the transactions on the account, but it makes it more of a PITA.

How to nuke that?

Code: Select all

</div>			</div>		</div>	</div></div><!-- Interstitial modal window ends--> 						<noscript>		<style>body{display:block;}</style>		<div class="js-disabled-overlay"></div>			<div class="no-script-module">			<div class="fodal-top"></div>			<div class="fodal-bottom">				<div class="fodal-content">					<div class="fodal-title">Please Use JavaScript</div>					<div><p>You need a web browser that supports JavaScript to use our site. Without it, some pages won’t work as designed.</p><p>To make sure JavaScript is turned on, please adjust your browser settings.</p><p> </p><p><a name="Browser_Help_And_Tips" href="http://www.bankofamerica.com/onlinebanking/index.cfm?template=browser_help_and_tips" target="_self">Browser Help and Tips</a></p><p> </p></div>				</div>      									<div class="fodal-close"> 					<a class="button" href="/myaccounts/accounts-overview/accounts-overview.go"><span>Close</span></a>				</div>				<div class="clearboth"></div>			 </div>		</div>	</noscript>		</div>      </div>   </div></div></body>
(And yes there are certain parts of BoA that do require JavaScript, but it is not needed for something like just viewing an accounts transactions.)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.18a2
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Bank Of America Wants To Force JavaScript

Post by Tom T. »

I'm assuming that you trust BA, or you wouldn't bank there, at least not online, so what is the objection to allowing JS from them? (not from third parties, of course)
Most financial sites that I use require that their own scripting be permitted.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Does NoScript Options|Advanced|Untrusted|Hide <NOSCRIPT> elements help?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> assuming that you trust BA

Why should I trust them?
Or trust them to not get hacked?

> what is the objection to allowing JS

In the simplest sense, why should I?
Otherwise, things like automatic timeouts, unwanted popups, other junk that otherwise does not show.
(The timeouts will still occur, but at least my data remains visible to me.)

> Does NoScript Options|Advanced|Untrusted|Hide <NOSCRIPT> elements help?

Yes, that works fine.
Though I've never used it before, not exactly sure what it's going to do, & thinking it may be overly broad?

Online Bill Pay (different from Online Banking) does (mostly) require JavaScript.

Normally what I do is to open each of my individual accounts in tabs, & a separate tab for Bill Pay. Bill Pay used to (at least) load without JavaScript. More recently they put in a "submit form" when JavaScript is disabled. (Can't imagine why or how that changes anything, but they did it.) So when after loading the tab, instead of Bill Pay data showing, automatically, it presents you with a button you need to click, & then the data shows. (Serves no purpose what so ever IMO.)

<!-- template name: form.autopost.template.html -->

<html>
    <head>
	<title>Submit Form</title>
    </head>
    <body onload="javascript:document.forms[0].submit()">
       <noscript>
            <p>
                <strong>Note:</strong> Since your browser does not support JavaScript,
                        you must press the Resume button once to proceed.
            </p>
        </noscript>
        <form method="post" action="https://sso-fi.bankofamerica.com/sp/ACS.saml2">
                        <input type="hidden" name="SAMLResponse" value="PHNhbWxwOlJlc3Bvbn ... XNwb25zZT4="/>
                        <input type="hidden" name="RelayState" value="https://bills.bankofamerica.com/wps8109/wps?rq=slogin&sp=8109&InErrorResource=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.bankofamerica.com%2Fmyaccounts%2Faccounts-overview%2Faccounts-overview.go%3FSRC%3DMLSSO%26msgId%3DERRMSGSSO"/>
                        <noscript><input type="submit" value="Resume"/></noscript>
        </form>
    </body>
</html>
And now that page displays nothing.
No big deal, since I know what to do.
(In this case, I would need to enable JavaScript & refresh the page.)

I'll try it for a while & see how it goes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

And then on Slickdeals.net if you Hide <NOSCRIPT> Elements, then the item pictures (Grid or List mode) don't show up - unless you allow:

+slickdealscdn.com
+ajax.googleapis.com
+slickdeals.net

And none of that is really necessary.

And I've only had a little time so far to look around, so figure I'm going to run into much more that breaks, that this block is too broad.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

therube wrote:And I've only had a little time so far to look around, so figure I'm going to run into much more that breaks, that this block is too broad.
Then use the Stylish extension to enforce the following rule:

.js-disabled-overlay { display: none !important }
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Well I'd been getting along fairly well since.
But today, don't ask!
They're now using friggin JavaScript for simple things like menu items.

I no longer have a "link" to Bill Pay, instead it is now, "javascript:fsdgoto('billpay');".

So if I am viewing my bank accounts, & want to open Bill Pay - in a new Tab, I can no longer (easily) do that!

What xxx!

javascript:fsdgoto('accountsoverview');
javascript:fsdgoto('billpay');
javascript:fsdgoto('transfer&AMMTargetScreen=maketransfers');
javascript:fsdgoto('offers');
javascript:fsdgoto('invLink');
javascript:fsdgoto('addeligibleaccount');
javascript:fsdgoto('custservice');
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.19a2
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

I fixed a similar situation at work recently (dating back to before I started). We were using JavaScript to set a form action on the fly when you pressed the submit button...but it was always the same form action, and didn't require any fancy calculation... :s
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-gb; GT-S5570 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

therube wrote: I no longer have a "link" to Bill Pay, instead it is now, "javascript:fsdgoto('billpay');".

So if I am viewing my bank accounts, & want to open Bill Pay - in a new Tab, I can no longer (easily) do that!
How does function fsdgoto() look like?
Is there any obvious relation between "billpay" and the target URL?
If there is, you could use a surrogate emulating the fsdgoto() function for any click on a[href^=javascript:] elements.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0