How to make temporary permission more termporary

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Roger Roberts

How to make temporary permission more termporary

Post by Roger Roberts »

I'm someone who never shuts off his PC, but I also rarely close my browser. I often forget to reset temporary permissions on sites I'd rather not continue to have full scripting, is there a way in noscript to make temporary permissions expire after x hours?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How to make temporary permission more termporary

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Not currently and there is no really easy way to do this right now. Presumably one can have browser set to restart after a set period of being idle so that everything resets and refreshes and I have searched for you but no solution exists currently that I could find. Maybe I should write one up :lol:
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Roger Roberts

Post by Roger Roberts »

Alrighty, I was just curious. I only restart my browser when it says I need to for an update, or every 6 months when its time to update the OS.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You might want to close or restart your Fx regularly on your own anyway because there has been alot of documented cases of Fx 3.x causes memory leaks and performance issues after sitting idle too long. So my suggestion, when you aint using it, close it. Just a friendly heads up, just google "firefox idle" and you'll see a crap load of reasons. Good luck.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Roger Roberts wrote:Alrighty, I was just curious. I only restart my browser when it says I need to for an update, or every 6 months when its time to update the OS.
Hi, Roger. You need an update. We registered users can see the Firefox user agent string that your browser sends. It says you are running the insecure Firefox 3.0.9, which has a public unpatched vulnerability. Update to Fx 3.0.10 with Help > Check for Updates. NoScript is a useful security tool, but even more effective is running with an up-to-date Firefox.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Might not be a bad idea.

I change settings a lot & I would like to revert to "the settings that I normally run with".
Currently I can only do that manually.
A Reset would not work, cause then it resets "hidden" preferences too (about:config) which I would not want reset.

So some intermediary might be nice.

Perhaps different Reset levels.
Level 0 is everything back to defaults.
Level 1 is a user determined setup that is pulled from ... user.js or some kind of configuration file, perhaps noscript_1.js.

And I might not be adverse to an automated timed reset to a particular level either.

Note that you can manually Revoke temporary permission, as well as have a Global Allow automatically revoke on browser restart.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090429 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand what is the purpose of not closing the browser for six months, or what is the objection to closing it? Banks, e. g., will always tell you to close this instance of your browser for security purposes after logging out. I have mine set to delete all private data on closing, and close frequently -- always after a sensitive site like a bank, but often at regular intervals just for privacy. You can "clear private data" with the Fx tools / options UI or the keyboard shortcut, but as Guardian pointed out, there are numerous other reasons not to leave it open so long. Is there an advantage to leaving it open of which I'm unaware? We're talking 5-10 seconds here. Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand what is the purpose of not closing the browser for six months, or what is the objection to closing it? Banks, e. g., will always tell you to close this instance of your browser for security purposes after logging out. I have mine set to delete all private data on closing, and close frequently -- always after a sensitive site like a bank, but often at regular intervals just for privacy. You can "clear private data" with the Fx tools / options UI or the keyboard shortcut, but as Guardian pointed out, there are numerous other reasons not to leave it open so long. Is there an advantage to leaving it open of which I'm unaware? We're talking 5-10 seconds here. Thanks.
Agreed, I have mine set to delete everything too and I close often when I am going to be idle more than 5 minutes. Admittedly Fx's long startup and memory hogging does make it more annoying but its not enough to keep me from doing it because the security benefits far outweigh the inconvenience.