More adf.ly problems (and a risky solution)

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Triple Factorial

More adf.ly problems (and a risky solution)

Post by Triple Factorial »

I'm running Firefox 17.0.1 on a 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

I download Minecraft mods fairly regularly, so I end up going to AdFly links a lot. However, anytime I go to such a link I always get alternated between links like this:

*site*/3market.php?c=2&cb=3m&t=0&d=6686&_tt= *spam filtered*

and this: *site*/blocked.php?t=1

I don't even see the header; just a few loops of this and the DL or site it links to.

I've tried to whitelist the site, but nothing changes. I also have AdBlockPlus but I haven't had a problem with the site on it since I disabled ABP there. I've had all the Embeddings in Options unchecked and even scripts allowed globally and I still got this problem. Disabling ABP didn't change a thing even after a restart, but if NoScript is disabled it works fine even with ABP. I have to keep the latter app as a site I go to often recently got some malware hacked into it and it doesn't look like the admin knows it even though I tried to comment on it.

Allowing sites to push their own rules on the ABE Advanced tab ultimately got the site working again, but I think that's about as dangerous as allowing scripts globally. I could just be paranoid, but is there a way to allow just that site to push its own rules so I need not allow them all just to help a modder's income? It'd be greatly appreciated.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: More adf.ly problems (and a risky solution)

Post by Thrawn »

Triple Factorial wrote: Allowing sites to push their own rules on the ABE Advanced tab ultimately got the site working again, but I think that's about as dangerous as allowing scripts globally. I could just be paranoid, but is there a way to allow just that site to push its own rules so I need not allow them all just to help a modder's income? It'd be greatly appreciated.
I have a hard time believing that that is related to the problem, since that feature only allows sites to add extra ABE rules, not override existing ones. It's not at all like allowing scripts globally; actually, it's a way of allowing sites to improve their protection, and the only downside I know of is the extra request for the 'rules.abe' file on the server (which adds network traffic and reveals NoScript's presence).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
marble

Post by marble »

I've got the exact same symptoms - however, I cannot fix them by any apparent config change in NoScript
-> Only way for me to get adf.ly to work is by completely disabling NoScript

Sample URL: http://adf.ly/649267/dl.gamecopyworld.c ... -FLiNG!rar

system info:
- Win7 64
- Avira Internet Security 2012 (but FireFox is NOT going "through" Avira)
- Firefox 18.0
- NoScript 2.6.4.3rc1
- NO ABP installed
- several other plugins like: Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, FlashBlock, CookieMonster

I think I can confirm that NoScript is the cause:
-> disabling ALL other plugins still does not get adf.ly to work
-> but ONLY disabling NoScript gets it to work

Config changes I tried - WITHOUT success in NoScript:
- turn off ABE
- temporarily allowed all URLs that showed up in "recently blocked" and in the untrusted list
- "fiddled" with all kinds of permutations of settings in "Embeddings", "Advanced|Untrusted" and "Advanced|Trusted"
- entered RegEx expressions for gamecopyworld.com and for adf.ly in "Advancved|XSS"
- ALLOWED SCRIPTS GLOBALLY -> and it still didn't work ?!?

This is quite annoying... I hate having to switch to IE for such stuff...

Cheers for the otherwise incredible NoScript!

Many Thanks
Marble.

(And yeah - I admit that Borderlands just annoyed me tremendously today and I'm looking to skip a stupid mission with a trainer :roll:)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

In that case, it says its looking for a referrer, which presumably isn't being passed:

Code: Select all

Unauthorized Referrer Detected!

You were redirected to this page because the download did
not start from GameCopyWorld or you are using software
which kills the page referrer!

The following software is able to block or kill the referrer:

Download Managers
( Go!Zilla / GetRight / Download Accelerator / etc.)

Privacy Tools & Firewalls
( Norton Internet Security / Norton Firewall / ZoneAlarm / etc.)

Internet Browsers
( Opera / Tiscali 10 / Firefox plugin's )

Anonymouse Browsing
( Anonymouse.org / iPrive / Proxify / etc )

If you are running one of these applications then make sure
that they do not kill the referrer for:

http://dl.gamecopyworld.com

We have been forced to protect the downloadable files
as other websites are directly linking to them
without our permission!
http://gamecopyworld.com/$link.php

Sample page to start from:
http://gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_amnesia_the_dark_descent.shtml#Amnesia:%20The%20Dark%20Descent%20v1.01%20+7%20TRAINER
Then if you click on one (any) of the "File Archive" buttons.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0 SeaMonkey/2.17a2
marble

Post by marble »

The referrer error from gamecopyworld seems to be a subsequent error, I think
-> pasting the link into IE works for both the indirect link and my direct one

The referrer error normally would not even show up if adf.ly was working correctly!
-> One would have to wait at least 5 seconds and then click the "Skip Ad" button first...

my dollars worth,
Marble.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

That may be, but whatever machinations NoScript is using, it must not be sending, or somewhere along the line it is loosing the referrer.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0 SeaMonkey/2.17a2
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

For the time being you can set the noscript.surrogate.adfly.sources about:config preference to an empty string.
Marble

Post by Marble »

Many Thanks, that get's it to work.

Just out of curiosity - my attempt below does not seem to work and I can for heck of it not figure out why:

Code: Select all

if(/\bblocked\b/.test(location.href))history.back();else if(location.hash){stop();open(decodeURIComponent(location.hash.substring(1)),'_self')} else for each(let s in document.getElementsByTagName('script')){s.textContent=s.textContent.replace(/\bif\b[\s(]+\bcountdown\b\s+==\s+-1[\s)]+[\s\S]+\bvar\s+url\s*=\s*/,"if (countdown > 1) { \r\n paid = true; \r\n sendInt(); \r\n countdown = -1; \r\n var url = ")}
It tells me that textContent is "not defined" - even though it clearly works in the original expression and I can also output the value of s.textContent to log, whatever...