How to always block flash content during the same session ?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
GHOST

How to always block flash content during the same session ?

Post by GHOST »

Hi there it's my first post =)

(I use noscript and adblock)

I have already read the noscript faqs but i still have a little question:

I would like to know if it is possible to always block flash content during a session and even when reloading the page like Flashblock would do.

Indeed even with the option "apply those restrictions to trusted sites" and "block flash player" i still get flash videos loading in the web site wich is incresing a lot the time firefox renders the page !

I think it is due to the fact that adblock is filtering the page to block ads while noscript filters the page in order to block scripts =S

Indeed without adblock the page loads fine even with the flash videos, same when i use adblock alone. Here some websites to illustrate my point:

http://lafanclubsaison2.blogspot.com/

and above all http://industrialskads.blogspot.com/200 ... nload.html (click on any flash place holder and you'll see!)

The only to always block those flash during the whole session would be to use flashblock but then i need to turn on javascript globally which render noscript useless -_- (pop ups...).

It would be glad if any of you got some suggestion about this issue (what option to tic...)

anyway i hope adode release a new version of flash player soon mayby it is the problem...

Edit:
oops sorry for the double post i wanted to edit the part about reloading the page after clicking on the placeholder in this blog http://industrialskads.blogspot.com/200 ... .html...im a noob indeed :p
Last edited by GµårÐïåñ on Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted double post and combined the information for the op
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How to always block flash content during the same session ?

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I hope this wasn't just a plug for your blog ;) I checked it out and with my settings to block flash and also apply to trusted sites, with ABP running, nothing loads and it behaves as expected. So not sure what the issue is with your profile but have you tried the standard diagnostics? update to the latest dev build? backup your whitelist/untrusted and then reset NS in case the settings got messed up? Try that and let us know.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Ok thank you for replying but still, is it possible to always block flash even when we reload the page like for "flashblock" ?

That would be nice in the future release if it wasn't not temporally or just ADD an option to make it durable...(the option "apply those restrictions to trusted websites doesn't do the trick ;(

Best regards
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@Ghost:
Sorry, I'm really trying to figure out what the issue you're reporting exactly is, but even after reading both your posts twice I couldn't.
If you use Apply these restrictions to trusted websites, no flash applet will run until you click their placeholder, no matter how many times you reload the page.
If you're observing something different, then there's some problem specific to your configuration and you should try Standard Diagnostic.
Or I'm still missing something and I'd appreciate your patience in explaining me again what's wrong with current plugin blocking.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Post by Guest »

for example try it on this blog :http://lafanclubsaison2.blogspot.com/

when i click to a placeholder the flash video is released, that's normal

but then i reload the page and it's not hidden anymore ! (i need to end the session for that as it is written in the Faq)

however with flashblock it's always hidden even if i click on the placeholder and reload...

is it normal ?
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

OK, now I get it.
It's the normal behavior, since in most cases you want stuff you've released to keep working across multiple pages (don't think just Flash, think frames for instance).
However you don't need to restart your browser: you can immediately block the object you've allowed by using Revoke temporary permissions.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Post by Guest »

ok thank you again for the little explanation =)

Indeed, i use your addon for long long time now and i just love it :)

However i would really appreciate and other people too that in the future version of noscript there will be an option that allows use to always block those flash vids "even if we click on it"

that would be really neat above all for the new users who just want that effect on firefox and dont have time to learn all the settings =)

It would some kind of combination between noscript and flashblock without all the compatibility issues (after updating...)

Im french and i can tell you its really hard sometimes to understand them

Anyway Cio mister and good luck =p
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@Ghost:
Sorry, I'm really trying to figure out what the issue you're reporting exactly is, but even after reading both your posts twice I couldn't.
If you use Apply these restrictions to trusted websites, no flash applet will run until you click their placeholder, no matter how many times you reload the page.
If you're observing something different, then there's some problem specific to your configuration and you should try Standard Diagnostic.
Or I'm still missing something and I'd appreciate your patience in explaining me again what's wrong with current plugin blocking.
That's what I said but he insists it doesn't work which I don't get. Why I suggested something else may be going on but we just keep going around and around. I am afraid to say too much because I am afraid Tom will accuse me of post pumping, I never thought I had said anything worthless just for post sake. :shock:
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10