Probably not new - 127.0.0.1:port# at every site

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
WTP

Probably not new - 127.0.0.1:port# at every site

Post by WTP »

...in fact, I think it's a FAQ, though I don't quite get it - Everywhere I go, either my software or hardware firewalls, my ISP or Something Scary Under the Bed generates an HTTP://127.... like the above, and NoScript reacts with horror. Since I seem to remember something about the address being a loopback code, 1) why is NoScript set to be so scared of it and 2), since it is, should I just take it lightly, either white-listing it or ... could it actually be something to worry about?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Probably not new - 127.0.0.1:port# at every site

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

This was answered a while back and the issue seems to have been closed but for anyone who might come across a similar issue in the future, keep in mind also that some applications modify your host file which CAN have a lot of 127.0.0.1 loopbacks to prevent access to certain addresses. In fact many malware and spyware utilities, such as Spybot S&D and Adaware, will actually insert a list of known blacklisted "baddie" sites into the host file referenced to 127.0.0.1 as a loopback to effectively block access to them on the system level. They also tend to lock the host file to prevent malware from modifying it. So either make sure that the host file is protect against modification and check what's in it to make sure you are not being hijacked by having say google.com go to somebadsite.com instead. That may be what's triggering the "alarms" too. Hope this helps someone.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4