Hover not working with NoScript/Status-4-Evar

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
gkuenning

Hover not working with NoScript/Status-4-Evar

Post by gkuenning »

I run NoScript 2.9.0.14 and Status-4-Evar 2015.11.23.1-signed on Firefox 49.0.1, Linux, OpenSuSE 42.1 distro. For quite a while (at least since FF 44, I really don't remember when it showed up) hovering has not worked on the NoScript icon in the status bar. Right-clicking does work, although the functionality is a bit reduced. What's interesting is that the problem shows up with some, but not all, other status-bar extensions. So it works with Download Statusbar, Cookie Monster, Unplug, and ReminderFox. It fails with NoScript and ForecastFox Fix Version.

I did the usual thing of disabling extensions like crazy; eventually I was reduced to NoScript, Status-4-Evar, and Session Manager (not wanting to lose all my saved tabs!).

SInce the failure happens on only some extensions, I'm thinking that there must be a difference in how they handle hover "events". I figured I'd ask here first, in case somebody has a glaringly obvious suggestion I've overlooked. Help would certainly be appreciated.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0
barbaz

Re: Hover not working with NoScript/Status-4-Evar

Post by barbaz »

Where in your setup is the NoScript icon?

If in the status bar, can you please set up this situation in Pale Moon and let us know if the problem exists there?
(Yeah, I know, this maybe a long shot but what I'm thinking is that since the status4ever code is builtin to Pale Moon, we can use Pale Moon to check whether this is a status4ever related issue. If so, it "should" work fine in Pale Moon.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
gkuenning

Post by gkuenning »

Thanks, barbaz! It may have been a long shot but it was right on target. I installed palemoon and added NoScript to it. I get the same behavior as in Firefox: the NoScript icon is in the status bar (which is where it appears in my Firefox setup); hovering over the icon has no effect; right-clicking brings up the NoScript menu; enabling any site in the NoScript menu makes it disappear rather than leaving me with the option to enable more sites.

Perhaps I should have raised this issue with the Status4Evar developers? I foolishly didn't think of that until after I posted here...
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

NoScript works for me in Pale Moon's status bar even though A) it's not put there by default, B) the menu opens in an odd place.

What other extensions did you add to Pale Moon, if any?
-
gkuenning

Post by gkuenning »

That's interesting. I installed palemoon (skipped configuration), launched it (told it to stop asking to be my default browser), installed NoScript from the Firefox addons site, and restarted. Didn't do anything else. NoScript showed up as the only thing on my status bar.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Status bar wasn't shown by default for me. I didn't notice that at first, and didn't select to show it until after NoScript icon was automatically placed. Image

If you move the NoScript icon somewhere else (in either Firefox or Pale Moon, your choice), does it work?

This may also be a OpenSUSE specific issue. I'm on Lubuntu 14.04
-
gkuenning

Post by gkuenning »

Moving the icon to the top tool bar (View->Toolbars->Customize) doesn't make a difference in either browser.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I've downloaded OpenSUSE 42.1, it's installing in a VM right now. I'll be back...

EDIT
It works fine for me in OpenSUSE as well. I don't even see the menu position glitch.
Pale Moon *did* have a status bar by default in OpenSUSE, and that's where the NoScript icon went.

This issue is looking to be an OS level issue specific to your setup. You might try asking on an OpenSUSE support forum. Be sure to give them a link to this thread. If your support request is publicly visible, please let us know the link, thanks.
-

Post by Guest »

I thought I posted this but it looks like I didn't; sorry if it's a duplicate:

It turns out to be a problem with how Firefox interacts with window managers. I created a minimal OpenSuSE VM with FF and installed Status 4 Evah, NoScript, and ForecastFox Fix Version. When I run in a minimal X environment with no window manager, hover doesn't work. Nor, to make things fun, does the Firefox menu button! Running icewm as a window manager causes things to behave properly.

Apparently my normal window manager (sawfish) doesn't do whatever Firefox expects as part of making hover work.

I have no clue as to why Firefox would need a window manager to handle hovers--not to mention clicks on the menu button. It's possible that it's actually popping up the window in question, but expecting the window manager to position it on-screen. But in any case, this is a Firefox bug and now that I've identified it, I'll report it to Mozilla.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Nice find, thanks for posting it.

In the mean time, if you want a window manager that doesn't give weird issues, use Openbox. Desktop environment you put it with doesn't seem to matter, so pick your favorite. Or use it standalone if you prefer that.

How I know this about Openbox is a long story.
-