NoScript causes infinite loop on certain websites

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
McV_NoScript

NoScript causes infinite loop on certain websites

Post by McV_NoScript »

I am a long term user of NoScript with FireFox. There are a few sites that NoScript causes an infinite loop. One scenario is on https://classlink.com. This is a site used for tracking remote learning progress at our public schools. It requires an account login so for any troubleshooting, I will have to do the work. Please advise. The issue is that as soon as I fill in the login form and click "Sign In" the browser goes crazy on that tab flashing numerous classlink.com sub-page references in the address bar and then repeating the references over and over.

When I disable all my browser extensions, I can log in. I log out, close and restart Firefox and enable only NoScript. When I login to the site, the tab goes crazy again.

I have exported noscript_data.txt, FireFox console output with all extensions disabled (successful login) and with only NoScript enabled (failed login). Other than inserting the text below, I see no way to attach them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript causes infinite loop on certain websites

Post by barbaz »

Does this still happen if you keep NoScript enabled but "Disable restrictions for this tab" or "Disable restrictions globally"?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
McV_NoScript

Post by McV_NoScript »

Yes. I must disable it in the Addons dialog for the site to work. "Disable restrictions for this tab" or "Disable restrictions globally" both result in the infinite loop.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

McV_NoScript wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:49 pm There are a few sites that NoScript causes an infinite loop.
Thank you for your report.
  1. Does it happen both with 11.2.14 stable and latest development build 12.2.15rc1?
  2. Have you got any other example which doesn't involve having an account on the site?
McV_NoScript wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:49 pm I have exported noscript_data.txt, FireFox console output with all extensions disabled (successful login) and with only NoScript enabled (failed login). Other than inserting the text below, I see no way to attach them.
You can send them to me at the email address you find on the top right of https://maone.net (encrypted with PGP, if you prefer so).
Thanks again.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:96.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/96.0
McV_NoScript

Post by McV_NoScript »

I was using the latest stable version then updated to 11.2.15rc1 yesterday before starting this thread. I do not see a version 12.2.15rc1 that you want me to try. I assume you made a typo?

I have sent an email to the address you mentioned. It contains a 7z archive of data.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

McV_NoScript wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:34 pm I was using the latest stable version then updated to 11.2.15rc1 yesterday before starting this thread. I do not see a version 12.2.15rc1 that you want me to try. I assume you made a typo?
Yes, sorry, I did mean 11.2.15rc1.
McV_NoScript wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:34 pm I have sent an email to the address you mentioned. It contains a 7z archive of data.
Got it thanks, checking what can I infer from that.
If you happen to see this on a different site or can share temporary credentials, please let me know, thanks.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check whether the problem goes away if you set the "fecth" capability to true in the DEFAULT preset (BTW, why did you turn it off and enabled "webgl" instead?).
Thanks.
McV_NoScript

Post by McV_NoScript »

I have no idea what these options do. Webgl was on and fetch off. When I toggled both, the site works. Now then what is the correct setting, both off or webgl on, fetch off? And what affect will the setting have on other sites?

Thanks for your help.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

McV_NoScript wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:15 pm Webgl was on and fetch off. When I toggled both, the site works. Now then what is the correct setting, both off or webgl on, fetch off? And what affect will the setting have on other sites?
The normal (factory) setting for the DEFAULT preset is the opposite (i.e. webgl=off and fetch=on).
While both webgl and fetch should be indifferent in the DEFAULT preset, as none of those capability could theoretically be used when scripts are off, webgl is left off for consistency while fetch is enabled because some background requests made internally by the browser, and needed for instance for Cross-Origin Resource Security preflight checks, would be blocked otherwise.

Now, a question of mine: while I can understand that the problem persisted even if you disabled all the restrictions for the tab, since there's a service worker involved which is not tied to any specific tab (that's something I would like to make smoother, but that's not easy), it's more difficult for me to explain how it persisted with restrictions globally disabled. Are you double sure that was the case?

Anyway, glad that the problem is gone now.
McV_NoScript

Post by McV_NoScript »

I was very careful to test. Only with the NoScript extension disabled or with settings webgl=OFF, fetch=ON does this site function.
  • Test normally with all extensions enabled and set page to
    "Temporarily Enabled" in NoScript. This failed.
  • "Disable restrictions globally", restarted the browser and tested.
    This failed.
  • I disabled all browser extensions, restarted the browser and
    tested. This worked.
  • Enabled only NoScript, restarted the browser and tested.
    This failed.
  • Turned off webgl and turned on fetch, restarted the browser
    and tested. This worked.
Thanks again for your help
Mark
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

McV_NoScript wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:55 pm I was very careful to test. Only with the NoScript extension disabled or with settings webgl=OFF, fetch=ON does this site function.
Then you've definitely hit an elusive bug, worth investigating further. Thank you again for your report.
pasch

Post by pasch »

hi, everyone, i have 11.12.15 installed today with webgl=OFF, fetch=ON, and other site, like fb and ig, crash the tab, sometimes in loop, other times not, but the most interesting thing is crash when scroll down to a certain part of the page....when is in th top averything is ok!... btw is firefox 96.0.1 on linux mint 20.04...
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

pasch wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm hi, everyone, i have 11.12.15 installed today with webgl=OFF, fetch=ON, and other site, like fb and ig, crash the tab, sometimes in loop, other times not, but the most interesting thing is crash when scroll down to a certain part of the page....when is in th top averything is ok!... btw is firefox 96.0.1 on linux mint 20.04...
Yours is probably an unrelated problem.
Nevertheless, please check if it persist in latest development build:

v 11.2.16rc1
============================================================
x [L10n] Updated fr
x Better support for service workers in unrestricted modes
(thanks Mark McVeigh for reporting)

If it does, please send me your NoScript Options>Export file (like the OP did) and, if they're actual crashes, latest report links from about:crashes.
Thanks.
pasch

Post by pasch »

updating about the problem, firefox update a plugin widedevine and update the version of firefox itself to a 96.0.2 resoving crash in fb for other problem, and i dont have problem, sorry for any inconvenient or preoccupation this put in you... and thanks for the work!.