NoScript Options button dont work

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
bo elam

NoScript Options button dont work

Post by bo elam »

I just updated to Firefox 76.0.1 (from Firefox 75) and to NoScript 11.0.26. And found that I cant open NoScript Options via NoScript Menu. I still can open it by going to Firefox>Addons>NoScript, but cant open it from the NoScript Menu/UI.

I tested with a new Firefox profile, and still have the problem. I also uninstalled 11.0.26 and reinstalled 11.0.25, and same issue. Also installed latest beta, same result. I wanted to test going back to Firefox 75, but Mozilla is making it extremely difficult to do it. I have Automatic updates disabled in Firefox via Policy, and even so, is still difficult to go back in Firefox versions to test.

My thinking right now is that here is a problem between Firefox 76.0.1 and NoScript. Can someone confirm that this issue in NoScript is known and can confirm what I am thinking that it is caused by the update to Firefox 76.0.1.

I dont see anybody else reporting this but is so easy to reproduce that I had to report it.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:76.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/76.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript Options button dont work

Post by Giorgio Maone »

That's extremely odd. I cannot reproduce this issue on 76.01, neither on beta or trunk.
Can you see any error message appearing in your browser console (ctrl+shift+J) when you click the icon?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:77.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/77.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Hi Giorgio, the browser console says 11 errors. But I dont knw how to read it or what it means.

Bo
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

bo elam wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:25 pm the browser console says 11 errors. But I dont knw how to read it or what it means.
Can you please copy&paste them here so we can see them?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

The only button that doesnt work is the Options button.

This is what I am seeing right now.

1590347768550 app.normandy.action.BranchedAddonStudyAction WARN Skipping recipe DoH US Engagement Study V2 - Add-on helper because BranchedAddonStudyAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347768610 app.normandy.action.BranchedAddonStudyAction WARN Skipping recipe DoH US Engagement Study V4 because BranchedAddonStudyAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347768780 app.normandy.action.PreferenceExperimentAction WARN Skipping recipe Impact of Level 2 ETP on a Custom Distribution because PreferenceExperimentAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347769085 app.normandy.action.BranchedAddonStudyAction WARN Skipping recipe Search Interventions V2 because BranchedAddonStudyAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347769224 app.normandy.action.PreferenceExperimentAction WARN Skipping recipe Activity-Stream Chrome Switchers card for Onboarding Triplets in Firefox 73 V3 because PreferenceExperimentAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347769411 app.normandy.action.PreferenceExperimentAction WARN Skipping recipe WebRender Continued: v2 (Nightly Only) because PreferenceExperimentAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347769467 app.normandy.action.PreferenceExperimentAction WARN Skipping recipe [cmuresan][pi-507] Do No Harm Experiment for about welcome - TEST because PreferenceExperimentAction was disabled during preExecution.
1590347769527 app.normandy.action.PreferenceExperimentAction WARN Skipping recipe Feature Impact study for Enhanced Tracking Protection Level 2 V2 because PreferenceExperimentAction was disabled during preExecution.

Bo
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

None of those are related to NoScript.

If you go to about:debugging > This Firefox > NoScript > Inspect > Console, and paste & run the following code (based on https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/ ... js#L68-L72), what happens? -

Code: Select all

if (UA.mobile) { // Fenix fails on openOptionsPage
  console.log('Using tabs.create');
  browser.tabs.create({url: browser.extension.getURL("/ui/options.html")});
} else {
  console.log('Using openOptionsPage');
  browser.runtime.openOptionsPage();
}
-
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

barbaz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm None of those are related to NoScript.
Barbaz, I think I posted wrong information.
barbaz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pmIf you go to about:debugging > This Firefox > NoScript > Inspect > Console, and paste & run the following code....
When I paste the code you wrote above, I get nothing but a message to write "allow pasting", but I get nothing.

By the way, I started my W7, it already had Firefox 76.0.1, and it has NoScript 11.0.25, and I get same issue.

So, I am experiencing the problem in 2 computers with different systems. I was going to clean install Firefox but after seeing this in the W7, I dont think I would gain anything by doing it. I don't click Options often, so this is more than anything an annoyance, that I can live with, but other people are probably experiencing it also.

Bo
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

bo elam wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm When I paste the code you wrote above, I get nothing but a message to write "allow pasting", but I get nothing.
Can you first run

allow pasting
(type it in manually) then try again?

Have you ruled out any possibility of this being related to running Firefox 76.0.1 in Sandboxie?
-
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

barbaz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 pm
bo elam wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm When I paste the code you wrote above, I get nothing but a message to write "allow pasting", but I get nothing.
Can you first run

allow pasting
(type it in manually) then try again?

Have you ruled out any possibility of this being related to running Firefox 76.0.1 in Sandboxie?
Writing allow pasting before or after pasting the code, dont do nothing. The code itself doesnt get pasted, I dont think.

When I go to the about:debugging page, I get this. Look at warning message under where it says Firefox 76.0.1. I use a policy to disable automatic updates and other things, after seeing that warning, I deleted the policy to see if it made any differnce, but it doesnt.

Regarding Sandboxie. The issue happens running sandboxed or unsandboxed, it doesnt make a difference. Sandboxie doesnt have anything to do with this. I am thinking about trying to install Firefox 75, but it will a pain fighting Mozilla to not update me right away to Firefox 76.0.1. I am not sure if its worth the try. What you think?

Bo
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

bo elam wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 pm Writing allow pasting before or after pasting the code, dont do nothing. The code itself doesnt get pasted, I dont think.
What is the value you have for about:config > devtools.selfxss.count ?
If less than 5, try setting it to 5?
bo elam wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 pm When I go to the about:debugging page, I get this. Look at warning message under where it says Firefox 76.0.1.
That usually just means you have Service Workers disabled. Don't worry about it.
bo elam wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 pm I am thinking about trying to install Firefox 75, but it will a pain fighting Mozilla to not update me right away to Firefox 76.0.1. I am not sure if its worth the try. What you think?

Bo
I think that would be worth trying.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/75.0/
-
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

barbaz wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 am
What is the value you have for about:config > devtools.selfxss.count ?
If less than 5, try setting it to 5?
The value was 0, after I set it at 5, the code you posted earlier appears it is accepted, and I dont get the "allow pasting" message anymore.

After I pasted the code, if I click Enter, the Options page opened. I guess thats what you were expecting me to report.

There is a lot of information that gets written but I cant copy it all to paste it here. How can I copy it? This below is some of what the console shows.

Using openOptionsPage debugger eval code:5:11
persisted null persistent-tabs.js:9:13
[NoScript]:0 Including /ui/ui.css log.js:13:13
[NoScript]:1 Including /lib/Messages.js log.js:13:13
[NoScript]:2 Including /lib/punycode.js log.js:13:13
[NoScript]:3 Including /lib/tld.js log.js:13:13
[NoScript]:4 Including /common/Policy.js log.js:13:13
[NoScript]:5 apply

By the way. I did try to install Firefox 75. And the update to 76 was in waiting, but I installed NoScript, and with default settings, I still cant open Options. I tested sandboxed so this cant be counted as a perfect test. Results might be different if its done for real. But I think I ll end up just wasting time if I uninstall Firefox 76.0.1 and try to install 75 in my real system. Likely, Mozilla will push 76.0.1 before I can do anything to stop the update to 76.

Whats interesting is that it also happens in my W7.

Bo
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

(What follows is what I would do as next troubleshooting steps if it were me. This seems to be somewhat finicky, so if you find this too complicated or too involved I would understand.)
barbaz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm If you go to about:debugging > This Firefox > NoScript > Inspect > Console, and paste & run the following code (based on https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/ ... js#L68-L72), what happens? -

if (UA.mobile) { // Fenix fails on openOptionsPage
  console.log('Using tabs.create');
  browser.tabs.create({url: browser.extension.getURL("/ui/options.html")});
} else {
  console.log('Using openOptionsPage');
  browser.runtime.openOptionsPage();
}
In the upper right of this NoScript-debugging tab is a triple-dot icon. Click it, enable "Disable Popup Auto-Hide".

Then click the NoScript icon to open the popup, which should now stick open even when you click off of it. While it's open, there should be a squarish icon in the upper right of the NoScript-debugging tab. Click that, select "/ui/popup.html". Now paste and run this code -

document.getElementById('options').click();
(Make sure the NoScript popup doesn't close until after you run the code - when the NoScript popup closes, the console will revert to NoScript's background context instead of the context of the popup. You might need to copy the code to clipboard before starting this whole procedure. Also, I notice that hitting Tab while the console is in the context of the popup will break the console, i.e. it becomes unable to evaluate anything and must be closed and re-opened from about:debugging.)

Does that code open NoScript Options?

(To get back to normal, you can either deselect "Disable popup auto-hide" from the triple dot, or just close the NoScript-debugging tab.)

If it does open NoScript Options, I would wonder if this is caused by something external to Firefox that you've got on both machines?
If it doesn't, what if you do this procedure again but pasting in the previous code?
-
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Barbaz, I just tested installing Firefox ESR. With Version 68.8.8, NoScript Options opens up normally. I tested in a sandbox. This result gives me a safety net. So, I am going to clean install Firefox, I will try to reinstall Firefox 76.0.1 first, if doing this this doesn't bring me back the Options menu, I ll uninstall it, and will install Firefox ESR. I ll come back later. :)

Bo
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Barbaz, clean installing Firefox 76.0.1 did not fix my issue in my W10. To get the NoScript Options button (from the NoScript Menu) to work for me I ended up installing Firefox ESR 68.8.0.

FWIW, my settings, the ones I was using in Firefox 76.0.1 were imported just fine to Firefox 68.8.0, and they work fine. So, the problem was not caused by my settings. For now, I ll keep Firefox and NoScript as is in my W7, in case Giorgio would like to see something from that installation. Appreciate your help.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0