"Autostart downloads", what is it for?

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
Jasom M.

"Autostart downloads", what is it for?

Post by Jasom M. »

There is a checkbox in Flashgot options, called "Autostart downloads". I don't know what it is for. Does it affect external DL managers, Flashgot bulitin or the usual Firefox downloads?

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
NesteaZen

Re: "Autostart downloads", what is it for?

Post by NesteaZen »

To me this option is not clear either.
Mozilla/5.0 (en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 Firefox/3.6.23
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Its quite clear actually, but here goes the explanation.

Whether you choose (*)Intercept all or (*)File Extensions, you can choose for Flashgot to automatically detect the download, send it to whatever downloader you got set for Flashgot, external, internal, whatever, and then have it do the download. Simple as that, it just will do it for you instead of prompting you and having you say, oh yeah, download that. That's all.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
NesteaZen

Post by NesteaZen »

Yeah well this doesn't work for me. The FlashGot media icon appears in the status bar signifying something can be downloaded, nothing else.

edit:
more specifically: the website is gametrailers.com. I have set

and checked Toosl> FlashGot> Autostart Downloads
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

This option does NOT apply to the MEDIA downloads (aka embedded videos from YouTube, etc, which appear in the status bar and you decide which one to download by right-click or download them all by just right-click on the icon. It can still download by regular means AFTER that, but that depends on whether you want the name retained or generic, in which case you need to specify the downloader and folder in the media tab just for that portion. Anything else I can help clarify?
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
NesteaZen

Post by NesteaZen »

It starts these downloads in the chosen manager automatically (this question doesn't make any sense b/c its the managers' job to decide)? I'm really sorry for being a dimwit on this. I still don't get it.

edit: -- I don't know--. I just re-read your first post. I think I get it.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

On a page like this (you'll need to click the 'Download now' button) http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers_(32_bit)&d=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus&os=XP&browser=Firefox ...

With FlashGot Options, Intercept all downloads, or File Extensions with ".exe" as an allowed extension set ...

With Autostart enabled, the download passes directly to your download manager.
With Autostart disabled, you get the standard FF download dialog, What should Firefox do ... allowing you to Save the file, or to have FlashGot handle the file.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0a2) Gecko/20120111 Firefox/11.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.8a2