Toolbar button vs Youtube

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
FinG

Toolbar button vs Youtube

Post by FinG »

Is there a way to more easily download specific resolution videos from youtube? I typically only want to download the 720p mp4 version, or if that's not available then the best available version smaller than that.

I'd like to be able to do this with just a single click on the FlashGot button that's on the browser toolbar, but doing this results in attempting to download 24 different files for what should be a single video file. Would anyone want to actually bulk download all these versions of the same video?

It would be great if clicking the button would download just your preferred format, instead of all of them.

The button's tooltip displays all the files that will be downloaded if you click the button.

The simplest method to download the version I want seems to be to right-click the button, click Available Formats, and then find and click on the specific type and resolution. But if you're downloading a bunch of videos (one per page) one after another then this click-click-hunt-click process gets cumbersome.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Toolbar button vs Youtube

Post by therube »

Is there a way to more easily download specific resolution videos from youtube?
Not that I've seen.
I typically only want to download the 720p
From what I've seen of YT, most often (& I guess it also depends on just what you're watching), "720p" is nothing but a waste of bytes.
right-click the button, click Available Formats, and then find and click on the specific type and resolution.
The way FlashGot works, that about sums it up.

That said ...

There are a number of flashgot.media.Youtube Prefs that might, somewhat, be configurable, perhaps to lesson what might or might not be displayed to you?
(Not really sure, as I don't really know what they do, but maybe fiddling around there could enhance the experience, slightly? Backup first, or test in a test Profile.)

(I would not mess with flashgot.media.YouTube.*map.type.*.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.40

Post by Guest »

Not that I've seen.
Well it was worth asking
From what I've seen of YT, most often (& I guess it also depends on just what you're watching), "720p" is nothing but a waste of bytes.
That's why I don't get the 1080p versions :-)
But really, the official releases of things like series, documentaries, music videos, etc, are decent quality and are worth the bytes.
There are a number of flashgot.media.Youtube Prefs that might, somewhat, be configurable, perhaps to lesson what might or might not be displayed to you?
Thanks, I took a look at those already but I didn't see a way to have certain media types be ignored on YT.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0

Post by Guest »

I wrote a patch for FlashGot that lets you download a file from YouTube with a single click on the toolbar button.

You'd need to add the code block below to \Firefox\Profiles\{profile-id}\extensions\{flashgot-id}\chrome\flashgot.jar\content\flashgot\flashgotOverlay.js
Inside this file, find the line that contains "download: function(links, opType, dmName)" and add the code block at the top of the function.

Code: Select all

try{
		if(links && links.length>1){
			var vs = vm = vl = 0;
			for(var i=0; i<links.length; i++){
				var o = links[i];
				if(!o.Youtube) break;	// not a youtube download
				if(o.tip && o.contentType && o.contentType == "video/mp4"){
					if(!vs && o.tip.indexOf("small") ==0) vs = o;
					if(!vm && o.tip.indexOf("medium")==0) vm = o;
					if(!vl && o.tip.indexOf("hd720") ==0) vl = o;
				}