FDM Portable ... arguments?

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
Marco

FDM Portable ... arguments?

Post by Marco »

Hi there,

I want to manually integrate Free Download Manager Portable with FlashGot (on my Portable Firefox).

So, can anybody tell me what should I put in "arguments"? I've failed to find how to use FDM from prompt. By the way, I'm using version 3.9.7.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
Marco

Re: FDM Portable ... arguments?

Post by Marco »

Bad news:
I've further searched and it seems to be a recurring issue on forums. FDM devs seem unwilling to provide the switchers and guys here didn't help either. Doing a template isn't a good idea it seems.

Good news:
I've just learned that FDM Portable has an option under "Monitoring" settings to add Firefox Portable path, if you do so your portable FDM will appear on Flashgot as an option just like the non-portable version. It seems to solve the issue (I'm not done configuring FDM yet).

Hopefully my petty discovery will help the people out there who want to do the same (integrate Firefox Portable and FDM Portable), but were trying the wrong way (create a template).
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

FDM Portable
Is that from "Portableapps.com" or is that something that comes from FDM?

(And I see the "regular" FDM 3.97 also has the "I have Firefox portable" button.)

Others have posted here about FDM 5 & its integration with FlashGot, but last I read (in the FDM forums [some time ago now]) that was a no-go deal?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.40
Marco

Post by Marco »

I used to have regular installation of FDM 3.97 on my PC, but I had to format it and, since on it, decided to migrate to a fully portable solution.

So at first I've tried using regular FDM's option to "create portable version" and was trying to make it work. That's when I posted here and then found out about this "I have Firefox portable" option. But then, changing the settings I've noticed they've made a rather lazy custom configuration (not really portable) and decided to migrate to Portableapps.com version (which isn't perfect but guys did all they could). So I've tested both and it works on both.

Since I'm used to FDM 3 and FDM 5 is still a work in progress I've decided to avoid FDM 5 and can't tell if the integration works for it.

I have 2 notes to make about this solution though:
1) I've left FDM's addon installed but disabled (using Flashgot instead).
2) You must run FDM before running Firefox, otherwise Flashgot won't find it.