recent video downloads have no audio

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
joyously

recent video downloads have no audio

Post by joyously »

I have used FlashGot for several years and never had a problem until recently, but I can't tell when it happened because I didn't try to play the videos I downloaded until long after I got them.
The problem is that the video downloads fine (usually as mp4), but there is no audio.
I have one from January that is fine, but everything from May is not.

I suspected my video player(GOMplayer), but looking in the playback info, it shows no audio track. And playing it on my phone across wifi (same file, different player) gets the same result.

I had the latest FlashGot (1.5.6.13), but I saw some changes in the same timeframe, so I reverted to 1.5.6.12 to test and got the same result.

All the videos I haven't inadvertently deleted have been from youtube, so I'm thinking that perhaps they changed how the video is played and therefore what FlashGot sees as the default to download. I use the HTML5 player by default on youtube, probably since September 2015, so I can use the speed controls. Would that affect it?
I did wade through the list of files available for download on youtube and found that if I choose DASH and then one of those videos, it had audio, but that made no sense since they are listed as separate audio and video tracks.

So my question is: Does anyone else have this problem? and can FlashGot use a better default (one with both audio and video)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0 SeaMonkey/2.40
therube
Ambassador

Re: recent video downloads have no audio

Post by therube »

> recent video downloads have no audio

Where?

> youtube

Youtube has both "DASH" & non-DASH.

With DASH, the audio & video are separate files, & if you want both, you need to download both, & combine them together (MUX). Further the file formats you download in need to be appropriate for one another. Like if you download mp4 video & opus audio, you cannot combine them as the mp4 container does not support opus audio. So you would need something like webm video & opus audio (or any other combination that works together.)

non-DASH are already combined, audio+video, so all you need to do is to download the one file.

Using DASH may provide greater latitude in picking & choosing particular formats & bitrates.

(Haven't been to YT in about a month or so, but that's how it was back to then.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.40
joyously

Re: recent video downloads have no audio

Post by joyously »

When I first posted this, I couldn't find any threads with titles that sounded like my problem, but after reading several that seemed unrelated, I now understand what's going on and that it's been a long time and changes whenever Google wants to change it.

But my question remains unanswered: can FlashGot use a better default (one with both audio and video)?

Right now, it looks like all the streams are in the list and the one that is being played is the default for download. But considering that the HTML5 player is mixing two streams, then two streams should be downloaded by default OR one stream that has both should be the default. I don't want to mess with figuring out which audio will go with which video stream. They are there for me to choose if I want to do that. But the default should enable a one-click download of what's playing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0 SeaMonkey/2.40