sound absent from media

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
methuzla

sound absent from media

Post by methuzla »

I find quite often when I've downloaded a piece of media - .mp4 or .flv say- I find that there is no sound in the container, only video.(Or, very rarely, vice versa.)

My understanding is that the containers are set up this way by the distributor. They are described on the interface as, say, video/mp4, which sometimes contain audio, sometimes not. No clear indication.

How can I tell which stream of many to download, and be confident all parts (video+sound+subtitle_if_available+whatever) are all present?

I could of course waste time & resources getting several streams (there might be twenty sometimes!), and checking each until I find a complete one. If there is a complete one. That's quite a pain, and anyway computers are better at deciding that kind of thing.

As a corollary, sometimes I find many partial streams, which might (or might not) make up a whole. Again, it would be better if this situation could be checked automatically and a solution offered.

I suppose what I'd lke to see in the selection panel is a set of flags per stream, detailing whether (full & complete) video, audio, subtitles (and whatever else) are present, and estimated timings.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: sound absent from media

Post by Thrawn »

FlashGot may not have a way to determine those things without downloading the file.

Ordinarily, of course, the site's own scripts will decide what to download and play. Those scripts can have specific knowledge of which file is which. But FlashGot may not be able to determine that information just by looking at headers.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: sound absent from media

Post by therube »

> I find quite often when I've downloaded a piece of media

From where?
Youtube?

Youtube has both combined audio+video & also separate audio & separate video.
What you get depends on what you download.
The "separates" are listed under the Dash section.

FlashGot does not pick up on (separate) subtitles (like .srt), so unless subs are "burned" into (part of) the video itself, you'll have to get them in some other manner.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1