FlashGot Media never asks for a path for files to save

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
Zeird

FlashGot Media never asks for a path for files to save

Post by Zeird »

When I save files with FlashGot like this:
It never asks me for a path for files to save and just silently saves a file to the last path (not Firefox's, but FlashGot's). However, "Autostart downloads" option is disabled.
What shall I do in this difficult situation?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
Zeird

Re: FlashGot Media never asks for a path for files to save

Post by Zeird »

Add-on reinstallation didn't help.
Saving via context menu Image and via Ctrl+F7 (when there's only one file) also saves a file silently.
The only way I could find to change that path is to trigger FlashGot Media on a page with more than one file. Even after that FlashGot saves all single files to that old path.

Ok, I've found, that FlashGot somehow relies on Firefox's option "Always ask me where to save files". And only then FlashGot asked me where to save a file and remembered the new path. Phew.

But seriously, guys, why the hell there's no option "Always ask me where to save files" in FlashGot options? For example, I want Firefox to save files to a certain folder, but I want FlashGot to ask for a path every time. Or vice versa.

And what "Autostart downloads" option is for? I see no difference despite it's enabled or disabled. I suppose FlashGot should trigger Firefox's save file dialog when it's disabled? So, mine's broken then.
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Zeird wrote:why there's no option "Always ask me where to save files" in FlashGot options? For example, I want Firefox to save files to a certain folder, but I want FlashGot to ask for a path every time. Or vice versa.
FlashGot doesn't control where files get put. It hands off URLs to your download manager, which is supposed to control that. It is not a download manager itself.

If you are using the Firefox built-in download manager, then you can expect FlashGot-downloaded files to behave the same way as other downloads.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
Zeird

Post by Zeird »

I forgot to specify, but I was talking about Firefox built-in download manager.
FlashGot doesn't control where files get put.
If you are using the Firefox built-in download manager, then you can expect FlashGot-downloaded files to behave the same way as other downloads.
I disagree on that. Eg, my Firefox save files to Downloads folder.
But when I save files via FlashGot Media with Firefox built-in download manager, they are saved in different location, not in Downloads folder! That's my point. So FlashGot somehow does pass the path where to save a file.

And if I set "Always ask me where to save files" option if Firefox, then FlashGot triggers this dialog:
It seems that this dialog is not Firefox's, but FlashGot's. And I wonder why can't you trigger this dialog notwithstanding Firefox's "Save files to/Always ask me where to save files" option.

And what about my broken "Autostart downloads" option? I suppose FlashGot Media should trigger this dialog Image
when "Autostart download" option is disabled? But it doesn't.
link68759

Post by link68759 »

I agree, I'd like the ability to manually choose the destination folder for every save.
I also agree that the "autostart downloads" option is very unintuitive- been using flashgot for over a year and I cannot tell you what it does (if anything).

Depending on which download manager you use, flashgot all will always trigger the selection interface that allows you to choose a directory. As a temporary workaround, you could just issue "flashgot all" and select the file you want from the interface that pops up, rather than downloading a single URL.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
LL25255252

Post by LL25255252 »

I also use flashgot for some years and don't know what does this "autostart downloads" option mean. :?:
I had problems (I can't remember which problems) some years ago when it was enabled so I keep it disabled since then.

I use flashgot with FDM - Free Download Manager and use only the "flashgot media" feature.
Win 7 x64
Firefox 38.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0