Page 1 of 1

ga surrogate failure

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:48 am
by Puddintane
Re: Current 'release' versions of Firefox & NoScript


Is a phone book directory provided via Frontier for various areas all around the USA. The page I've linked above (and any other specific locale one could select) has but one domain to "allow scripts", namely "". With this scrip allowed (and the icon a plain S set in a white background indicating there are no scrips being blocked) the page will not load and instead displays only a logo in the center of a blank white page. Allowing all scrips globally also has no effect and creates the same results. Disabling NoScript completely in the addons section of Firefox eliminates the problem and the page can be viewed normally. All other addons have been eliminated, beginning with disabling all, then re-enabling one at a time. NoScript was the final addon to be enabled and the site no longer loaded. To verify, I disabled and re-enabled NoScript several times, each with the same result. All settings in the options are default. I disabled each option in turn and rechecked the page --re-enabling each option with each ineffectual result-- and after all were tried I'm at a loss as to what might be blocking the page within NoScript. I don't believe this is a NoScript 'bug' or 'failure', but rather that I'm just missing some easy fix that I've overlooked. Neither the FAQ's, nor a thorough search of all existing forum posts here resulted in solution to this very specific problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Please Help: Site Broken

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:10 am
by barbaz

When this issue occurs, do you see anything related in the Browser Console? (Ctrl-Shift-J)
(if you don't know what's related, turn off CSS warnings and post everything else you see)

Re: Please Help: Site Broken

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 am
by Puddintane
With Cascading Style Sheets off, only the following appears in the js tab (all other tabs are blank)

Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead.jscript.js:86:565
SecurityError: The operation is insecure.policy.js:303
Warning: 'nsIOService::NewChannel()' deprecated, please use 'nsIOService::NewChannel2()'script-compiler.js:22:13
Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.RemoteAddonsParent.jsm:787
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead.jquery.js:55:817
Warning: NetUtil.asyncFetch() requires the channel to have one of the security flags set in the loadinfo (see nsILoadInfo). Please create channel using NetUtil.newChannel()

I cleared out everything, opened only the offending site, and pasted it above so the data would be exclusive and untainted.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Re: Please Help: Site Broken

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:37 am
by barbaz
Confirmed the issue on my end... almost. I get the option to Allow in NoScript, and with that, the site works.
However, you should never need to Allow google-analytics only in order to get a site to work, as there is surrogate script for it. So this is a NoScript bug, but I don't have time to investigate this further, sorry.

Moving to NoScript Surrogates and making clearer title. Thanks for the report

Re: ga surrogate failure

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 pm
by Puddintane
Confirmed here as well. Google-analytics was not appearing in NoScript originally, but after allowing it through Ghostery 5.4.11, Adblock Plus and Request Policy it became available in the NoScript interface. Once temporarily allowed in NoScript, the Dexpages site functioned normally.

I will await a surrogate script tweak or an official update that will fix this NoScript bug.

Thanks for all your kind help.

Many thanks to the developers and all others who contribute to this excellent addon. I find it to be essential.

Re: ga surrogate failure

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 am
by barbaz
Finally I had the chance to try to look into this.

If bork or remove the ga surrogate, the page works. Hangs the browser a short while, but seemingly works.
You're supposed to be able to create a .exceptions pref for the surrogate to not apply, but it doesn't have any effect for me, so never mind that i guess :(

Seemingly anything I do to the surrogate has no effect, except adding a console.log call at the very beginning. Image

Looked at some of the page's ga-related scripts but I couldn't gain any insight from it.

Running out of ideas fast..