proposal for new NoScript Surrogate

Proposals for new surrogate scripts, updates/bug fixes to existing ones, tips and tricks to work around the lazy web.
rathacker

proposal for new NoScript Surrogate

Post by rathacker »

I wish someone would so something about the script "best-deals-products.com". No one has declared it malware, but it royally messes up the entire computer if allowed. I have blocked it so it appears under the Untrusted and blocked areas, but still reappears on the list asking if I want to temporarily trust it. It is insidious. If I do, every tab in Firefox goes into reload. It gums up Firefox, but doesn't appear to affect RAM or CPU amounts, but slows everything down to the point that it can take more than 30 min to do anything on the computer, browser-related or not. At least I guess more than 30 min. I usually have to shut down Firefox, lose all of my tabs, reboot the computer before restarting Firefox (very unusual, since it usually at least gives me a "sorry" screen upon restarting Firefox, with the option of restoring the last session if it closes quickly for other reasons). Session management button won't store the last session if I have to click on the X to shut Firefox down. I discovered by accident that it matters where in the page information it calls on best-deals-products.com. If the call is before critical information, then the rest of the page won't load until I allow it, but then, nothing will ever load again anywhere if I did allow it. It desperately needs a surrogate script. And I have no idea how to write one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
barbaz

Re: proposal for new NoScript Surrogate

Post by barbaz »

Depends if it's ever necessary to (Temp-)Allow it.
Can you please provide an example site which breaks without that script Allowed and explain in detail what the breakage is?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Is it possible that one of your Firefox extensions has introduced this script? Its effects sound very pervasive for a mere website script.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@Thrawn: Thank you for your insights; I think we indeed won't be creating a surrogate.

@rathacker: Guess what? It *is* malware.
https://startpage.com/do/search?lui=eng ... cts.com%22

If you're not seeing what I'm seeing, I'll post some direct links.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-