NoScript Surrogates dead?

Proposals for new surrogate scripts, updates/bug fixes to existing ones, tips and tricks to work around the lazy web.
dnolan

NoScript Surrogates dead?

Post by dnolan »

I have finally tried NoScript 10 and feels-sad-man.

But what I wanted to ask here is whether surrogates are gone for good or will they be re-introduced soon. And what are you guys using instead currently? I'm assuming that, like me, other advanced users had been using NoScript Surrogates to implement their own features.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript Surrogates dead?

Post by barbaz »

dnolan wrote:whether surrogates are gone for good or will they be re-introduced soon.
I think re-introducing surrogates is already planned, no known time frame yet.
dnolan wrote:And what are you guys using instead currently?
Well, I still use NoScript Classic on Waterfox. :P

If you need to use an up-to-date Firefox, depending on what type of surrogates you have, you might be able to implement some of them as Violentmonkey user scripts, or convert them into your own WebExtension as content scripts.
dnolan wrote: I'm assuming that, like me, other advanced users had been using NoScript Surrogates to implement their own features.
You assume correctly.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

NS 10 surrogates?

Post by kukla »

Are there any? Maybe already announced, but haven't kept up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:60.6) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.6
barbaz

Re: NS 10 surrogates?

Post by barbaz »

Threads merged.

Surrogates still have not yet been ported to NoScript Webext.
-
newuser67

Post by newuser67 »

Just found out about surrogates in noscript...noscript.surrogate in about:config turns up nothing. Just my own try.
But process explorer says that the file i added as replacement is never read :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:77.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/77.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Just saw this -
https://hackademix.net/2021/03/23/welcome-smartblock-script-surrogates-for-the-masses/ wrote: I'm actually planning (i.e. trying to secure time and funds) to bring back Script Surrogates as a stand-alone extension for Firefox-based and Chromium-based browsers, both on desktop and mobile devices. This tool would complement and enhance the whole class of content blockers (including but not limited to NoScript), without requiring the specific installation of NoScript itself.
Sounds like surrogates won't be coming back to NoScript, but will return as a separate extension.
-