NoScript Mobile interferes with Firefox reader view

Android-specific support, bug reports and feature requests.
emarkp

Re: NoScript Mobile interferes with Firefox reader view

Post by emarkp »

noz is correct, I only used Lastpass as a way to force Firefox Mobile to restart. I have only 2 addons installed, Lastpass and NSA.

To clarify what I wrote above, adding "about:reader" to the whitelist does not fix the broken reader view.

On forcing a restart and selecting the tab that was set to reader, the reader view is correctly rendered. This is just new information I stumbled on.

Like the OP, when I copy the "about:reader?url=....." to a new tab, it renders correctly in the new tab. Selecting the original reader tab does not rerender correctly. Restarting Firefox with the tabs in place, and THEN selecting the original reader tab DOES render correctly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
BVoris

Post by BVoris »

I disabled every extension except noscript and then restarted Firefox. The problem continues.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Tablet; rv:38.0) Gecko/38.0 Firefox/38.0
emarkp

Post by emarkp »

I have determined that if the top domain is whitelisted, reader view *does* work with noscript. This will have to be my solution for now, allowing the top domain only, for sites that I frequent, but none of the 3rd party domains.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0.2 Waterfox/40.0.2
BVoris

Post by BVoris »

White listing the top level domain works for me also. So, I have to enable scripts to disable them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Tablet; rv:40.0) Gecko/40.0 Firefox/40.0
gcb

Post by gcb »

can confirm.

moto x dev edition stock image. 4.4

NSA 3.5a10

tested on
Firefox 38
Firefox 40
Firefox 44
Firefox beta 43 (wait, why it's behind?)
fennec fdroid 40

work around: whitelist the top level domain before clicking the read icon.
(which actually defeats the purpose of a noscript extension of you have to allow script)

i will play with whitelisting about:reader url patterns, but since it works by just whitelisting the TLD, I'm not very hopeful...
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:40.0) Gecko/40.0 Firefox/40.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

gcb wrote: (which actually defeats the purpose of a noscript extension of you have to allow script)
Not really; the point is, you get to decide whether to allow scripts and read the page, or leave them blocked and move on.

Without NoScript, you don't get the choice.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
gcb

Post by gcb »

my point was around the fact that now, to use a browser feature, i must enable script on a site i had no intention/need of doing so.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:40.0) Gecko/40.0 Firefox/40.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

OK, but you can still view the site in the normal mode, with scripts blocked, yes?

Blocking scripts will frequently prevent the expected behavior of a website. Whether it prevents the site's own scripts, or whether it prevents a browser feature that relies on scripting, the end result is pretty much the same. You can choose to allow the site and use it as expected, or block it, use what still works, and move on.

Whether it's possible to allow the browser feature without also allowing website scripts - only Giorgio could answer that.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0