NSA++ not working with Firefox Mobile Beta 34?

Android-specific support, bug reports and feature requests.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NSA++ not working with Firefox Mobile Beta 34?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Just a quick note @Lekensteyn: thank you very much for your valuable contribution!

I'll be happy to merge your enhancements and bug fixes in the mainline (along with the many divergent back-end improvements from the desktop version, e.g. in the InjectionChecker component) as soon as it is possible (i.e., realistically, starting by the end of next week).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
iwsbarker

Post by iwsbarker »

Giorgio, @Lekensteyn - I also registered to the forum just to thank you both. I can't imagine how I could safely browse the internet from my tablet without your contributions! I also agree with what others have said - putting NoScript in the menu is a great change, as on some web sites the overlay was too tiny to access, or missing entirely.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 Iceweasel/31.2.0
Lekensteyn

Post by Lekensteyn »

@Spash the surface is limited and Firefox hides icons when there are more than two. Documentation for this is availabla at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... ctions.jsm. Possible behavior:
  • If scripts are blocked, display blocked icon.
  • If scripts are not blocked, display the not-blocked icon.
  • On click, display the permission dialog.
  • (Bonus idea:) On long click, display a menu where you can select alternative actions: temporarily unblock/block, ...?
@js_blocker, @iwsbarker, you're welcome :-)

@Giorgio Could you put up a public git repository with the NSA code? That would lower the barrier for other contributors I guess which would be a good thing for a security product ;-)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

js_blocker wrote:I'm more than happy you took over (at least for the time being) to make NSA work for FFM 34.
It's true that Giorgio's time is spread thin lately, getting desktop NoScript ready for Electrolysis...but he's always happy to accept solid contributions :).
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I've merged Lekensteyn's contribution into NSA++ 3.5a7, which is now available for automatic update on Android only, since the new UI breaks desktop compatibility.
I hope to be back working on NSA++ codebase by the end of this month, but in the meanwhile this should stop-gap the Firefox 34 panic.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
qwerty0

Post by qwerty0 »

@Lekensteyn: Thanks so much!

@Giorgio: Super thanks for merging so fast! Love that NSA is still on your radar! Why don't I go make that donation now?

This is like Christmas in.. well, December. It not only fixes the FF 34 bug, but it fixes all the bugs that came with the old NSA icon! Often I just couldn't successfully click it, or click the sites to allow/disallow.

Also, about showing the icon in the url bar, I have to say that the space there is already pretty crowded, even on a recent big phone. There's already hardly much room to read the page title or url.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
Spash

Post by Spash »

Lekensteyn wrote:@Spash the surface is limited and Firefox hides icons when there are more than two.
Right, I didn't know about the limitation. This is somewhat bad to limit the space to just two icons, but that said - it still doesn't make the idea unworkable, just a little bit 'quirkier'.
Lekensteyn wrote:Possible behavior:
  • If scripts are blocked, display blocked icon.
  • If scripts are not blocked, display the not-blocked icon.
  • On click, display the permission dialog.
  • (Bonus idea:) On long click, display a menu where you can select alternative actions: temporarily unblock/block, ...?
I personally really like the options 1, 3 and 4, it would make NoScript work quite flawlessly in my eyes. Displaying icon while there is nothing blocked sounds a bit like an overkill, I think the regular Firefox menu would still serve these cases well, so basically as it does now. (If you run NoScript in a blacklist mode, you more or less expect there is going to be plenty to block on every site, so notification icon stating that nothing so far has been blocked sounds superfluous. That said, it may be still useful to some people to simply signalize that there is a presence of scripts/objects that can be blocked, but as we're dealing with very limited room, I'd personally skip this case and leave the room for other, more important notifications.)

Also, temporary unblock as is present in the desktop version would fit nicely in there, I'd say that would be a whole new level of awesome for the NSA++ NoScript. Of course, i have no idea if the facilities to make temporary unblock work are present at the moment so if that turns out to be a whole major missing component, i guess I wouldn't be forcing anyone into developing it right now on a short notice :)

Still I think if the PageAction icon is doable without too much work as the documentation suggested, would you consider adding it as an option/supplement to your menu approach at some point in time? (Also, if that's the case, read below.)

qwerty0 wrote:
Also, about showing the icon in the url bar, I have to say that the space there is already pretty crowded, even on a recent big phone. There's already hardly much room to read the page title or url.
While this may be true for many phones, it's definitely not the case for tablets. The entire horizontal space is actually terribly underused by FF's UI:

Obviously, if the icon was to be added as another mode to control/display NoScript, I'd see it as a toggle option in addon preferences so users with limited space on their screens can disable the behavior at any time.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
chrill

Post by chrill »

Noscript blocks flash player and html5 video.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

chrill wrote:Noscript blocks flash player and html5 video.
Yeah, noscript does that, that's what it's supposed to do in default configuration, so AFAICT from that post:
Congratulations!!!!!!!! NoScript is working properly for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
(So no one is going to have any idea what you are trying to say. Please be more specific.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.16
js_blocker

Post by js_blocker »

Well, it seems with FFM 36 beta we have a non working NSA++ 3.5a7, again. (also see here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20477). Seems to me the UI got some major redesign ... but no NSA menu entry and no script are blocked - afaik.

Again, thanks for taking care.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0 SeaMonkey/2.32
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0