NoScript Refresh Often Stalls For Some Sites (FireFox Nightly Android Mobile)

Android-specific support, bug reports and feature requests.
Mad_Man_Moon

NoScript Refresh Often Stalls For Some Sites (FireFox Nightly Android Mobile)

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

I'm not sure what the correct way to phrase this is, and I was going to mention it here, but it seems *just* out of scope, and ... eh.

OK, so let's say I'm in a (usually private) tab on droid Nightly, and I bring up the NoScript menu to whitelist me some juicy domains. HURRAH!

Only I think that a lot of pages run page visibility API tweaks or literally need the tab open and being viewed or something. Because when I hit the refresh button in NS, the page begins to reload ... but never finishes until I close the full screen NS menu.

I'm using a Galaxy Tab S4, and it happens in Portrait or Landscape mode, over many itirations of Nightly with and without other extensions.

It's just ... I've been able to cope with it since the move to Quantum, but ... it doesn't feel like it's big enough to be a bug, yet it's also something that has now been a thing for a few years, so I figure it might not be known, maybe?

Either way, the only thing that prompted me to mention it (and definitely low priority, if it is a think) was that I started to use this userscript on my desktop. Which, whilst it's not perfect, just reminded me of this little oddity.

I'll try to find examples in the coming days/weeks/months to either edit in here or add ... but if anyone else has seen this I'd be curious to know.

Anyway, yes, to recreate the issue:
  1. Load a page
  2. Whitelist one or two domains
  3. Hit the NoScript refresh
I will admit, I'm unsure which version of NS is on the Tab!

---

FWIW - I couldn't immediately see a relevant topic for this elsewhere, so apologies if it's been brought up before. If this is known, and I'm either repeating, or it's a repeat 'icident' please feel free to close.
search.php?keywords=mobile+android&term ... mit=Search
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
redwolfe_98

Re: NoScript Refresh Often Stalls For Some Sites (FireFox Nightly Android Mobile)

Post by redwolfe_98 »

on my lenovo android tablet, with the firefox browser, i am not seeing the same problem. when i allow scripting for a URL and the noscript tab is refreshed, it successfully refreshes.

i am doing things in the normal way, where you open a webpage and then have to allow scripting for some of the URL's that are used by the webpage.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
Mad_Man_Moon

Re: NoScript Refresh Often Stalls For Some Sites (FireFox Nightly Android Mobile)

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

Thanks for the response. :)

To re-assert, this doesn't happen for every site, just some.

Also, is your experience in Private Browsing?

So to confirm the series of events:
  1. Open private browsing.
  2. Open site with Default permissions. Let's pretend Reddit is one such site for the sake of argument.
  3. Tap menu>add-ons>no-script.
  4. Now the NS screen has taken over the browser screen.
  5. Tap 'Temporarily allow' on reddit.com.
  6. Tap the refresh button within the noscript options, not the browser.
  7. It starts to reload the page in the background.
  8. Wait ... wait ... wait ...
Essentially, it doesn't fully load until I back out of the noscript menu back to viewing the page.

Once there, it finishes reloading with the new permissions.

As I say, this isn't for every site, but it happens a fair bit. I can't remember if Reddit is or isn't a site that it occurs on, so take that example with a pinch of salt.
redwolfe_98 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:27 pm on my lenovo android tablet, with the firefox browser, i am not seeing the same problem. when i allow scripting for a URL and the noscript tab is refreshed, it successfully refreshes.

i am doing things in the normal way, where you open a webpage and then have to allow scripting for some of the URL's that are used by the webpage.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

Mad_Man_Moon wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:24 pm To re-assert, this doesn't happen for every site, just some.

Essentially, it doesn't fully load until I back out of the noscript menu back to viewing the page
i have noticed, on some websites, where the webpages, there, don't finish loading. maybe that is why the noscript tab likewise doesn't finish reloading, because the webpages, themselves, don't finish loading?

the main website where i would see that at, where the webpages wouldn't finish loading, i am not seeing the problem, there, now..

incidentally, my tablet is half broken, unfortunately. i have problems with charging it, so i don't use it very much, now.

i usually don't use firefox's "private window" except in rare cases where i use it in lieu of using firefox's "troubleshoot mode," where no browser-extensions are loaded.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0