Google Drive & images on this forum (split from t=25643)

The battleground for flame wars, off-topic derailments and spurious madness.
rlaggren

Google Drive & images on this forum (split from t=25643)

Post by rlaggren »

Ok. Images didn't take. Is there a review process or do I need to do something different?

Rufus
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Re: Testers Wanted: NoScript UX Overhaul by Simply Secure

Post by barbaz »

rlaggren wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:22 pm Images didn't take. Is there a review process or do I need to do something different?
You tried to link Google Drive landing pages as images. If you want to use img tags there are a few extra steps:

When logged into your Google account, open the image in your Google Drive. Right-click it > Open image in new tab. Put that URL in the img tags (IIRC it'll be a long one).
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Thx for the directions. It put me on the right path.

I could not find a clickable way to display the image directly with the needed url appearing in the address box where I can copy it - at least not in Firefox.

FYI if anybody else suffers this obstruction, here is what I did to get the final direct url for the images. Based on instructions I found at:

https://www.mail-signatures.com/article ... ogle-drive

I extracted the "id=..." from the link google drive provides and pasted it after the "id=..." in the following url:

"https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=*img_id*

Then I pasted this into a browser address box and displayed the image, both to check results, but also because the browser massages the link again to get the direct address which will work between the img tags. This kludge may or may not work mid to long term in the future. It seems clear Google intends to make it impossible to find direct links to content from its sites.

I guess I'm now looking for another service to share files. That is just too f*g ridiculous...

Rufus
Last edited by barbaz on Sun May 16, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kill board-generated link
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Oh my.

The images, which did display correctly initially, seem to have a half life of about 5 minutes. It's bed time. And time to bump up the priority for a new file sharing site.

Rufus
barbaz

Re: Google Drive & images on this forum (split from t=25643)

Post by barbaz »

Those instructions are wrong. IIRC last I checked, the correct URL would look like

Code: Select all

https://lh#.googleusercontent.com/<some long long string of random-looking characters>
where # is a digit. And you must be signed into your Google account to get a URL that's not ephemeral.

EDIT Based on rlaggren's follow-ups, looks like the above-linked instructions actually did work. I guess Google added this as a new feature since after I last used Google Drive.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
rlaggren

Re: Google Drive & images on this forum (split from t=25643)

Post by rlaggren »

My attempt above seems to be partially correct. To quote:

---
I extracted the "id=..." from the link google drive provides and pasted it after the "id=..." in the following url:

"https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=IMG-ID"

---

This (with an image ID substituted at the end) appears to maybe work. Give it a few days to see if the images in my post about NS ui persist.

My error seems to be what I did next. Instead of using the above link between the img tags:

---
Then I pasted this link into a browser address bar and displayed the image, both to check results, but also because the browser massages the link again to get the direct address which will work (NOT) between the img tags.
---

The modified link that appears in the browser address bar _after_ I display the image in the browser with correct link above (4th text line in this msg) fails quickly, after a few minutes. The "drive.google.com..." link above seems to work.

Time will tell. Hope this story of confusion will shorten somebody else's path.

Rufus