near copy&paste split from t=25116

The battleground for flame wars, off-topic derailments and spurious madness.
scripteze

near copy&paste split from t=25116

Post by scripteze »

The only UA pref naming Firefox - in lower case, is "general.useragent.compatMode.firefox" I'm not sure if it should be default - false, or not?

The full UA string that sites pick up from somewhere (bits & pieces, or a code?) is definitely not lower case: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0"

As stated below, v52.0 isn't the browser I use, nor the default profile associated with it. I don't know what that may do to some sites, or how to remedy the wrong version being presented to sites, if it is, other than uninstalling the distro branded Firefox.

Where are sites getting the UA from (now), after I deleted the incorrect UA override in the active browser & profile?
No about:config prefs - default or user set, exist with the exact UA data (next line) detected by several sites.
After removing the UA override pref, sites now detect: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0", even though it's v52.9.0 (esr).
Does Fx give that data from somewhere else besides about:config entries?

I just realized - the v52.0 is the distro's installed version, that I don't use & never updated - or went on the web.
But that default profile _ about:config started with the distro's Fx v52.0, doesn't have the full UA, shown on line above that starts, " After removing..."
So sites are getting (maybe) a whole UA string & browser vers. from an inactive browser, instead of the one used to load their site?

Using Linux OS in the UA & a specific distro Name & version (if I allowed them), isn't exactly blending in the crowd. Just not that many of those users out there.
I haven't changed the DOM pref mentioned - it's default. But no, I don't get blank popups on the bank site, trying to look at that specific data (cleared checks). The spot where the thumbnail used to be is blank. As you see from the code, it should be there.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Re: near copy&paste split from t=25116

Post by barbaz »

Copy&paste from your post https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 279#p98279 with only minor changes. Did you intend this as an edit to your existing post? If yes, and if you cannot make such edit yourself due to spam filter, feel free to PM me and I'll get it taken care of.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-