Fed Up With It

The battleground for flame wars, off-topic derailments and spurious madness.
ihatethis

Fed Up With It

Post by ihatethis »

Again the whitelist has been erased somehow.

Family members hate getting on my computer with this program, and i put myself through dealing with it but it makes internet very frustrating.

Isnt there a whitelist i can download with most major sites, or what could be good would be like a cloud of whites submitted by people, when sites are gone to, lots of times there are dozens of scripts and its hard finding which ones the site needs to be useable. It is a chore most people want nothing to do with, and then the whitelist gets wiped out periodically!

It needs some list put together for us please! Or some way that when i go to any site, it itself can determine which scripts are most likely needed and which are most likely crap!

I have to take this off my computer. I am fed up with this miserable experience and my family hates it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Fed Up With It

Post by Thrawn »

ihatethis wrote:Again the whitelist has been erased somehow.
Again? Have you reported this before?

I haven't ever experienced unexplained whitelist deletion myself.
Family members hate getting on my computer with this program, and i put myself through dealing with it but it makes internet very frustrating.
My wife isn't a big fan either, but she finds it quite usable in 'Cascade permissions' mode.
It needs some list put together for us please! Or some way that when i go to any site, it itself can determine which scripts are most likely needed
Er...the real point of NoScript is to protect you from malicious sites. Handing over any security-related decision to the site sounds like a bad idea.

It sounds like you're describing projects like Web of Trust. Crowdsourcing such decisions is definitely a mixed bag. Giorgio's approach is to let the user make the decision in almost all cases.
I have to take this off my computer. I am fed up with this miserable experience and my family hates it.
Before you do that, try relaxing the settings. You give up some security, but if it makes NoScript usable for you, it should be worthwhile.

There are several tradeoffs available:
  • Temporarily allow top-level sites by default. So the site you visit is allowed, but not third-parties, which may be advertisers or just unnecessary.
  • Cascade permissions. Allow the top-level site and everything is allowed. This is like Chrome.
  • Global allow. My grandmother uses this mode and doesn't even know about it. Very limited protection, but there's still the XSS filter, ClearClick, ABE, etc.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I'm having trouble determining if this is a request for help or a rant Image
Please clarify the support question(s) or issue(s) you want help with, or this will be binned.
ihatethis wrote:Isnt there a whitelist i can download with most major sites,
Lots of people have asked for something like this. However, while NoScript has very basic support for such a service, I'm not aware of one in existence.
ihatethis wrote:It needs some list put together for us please!
It ships with one...
ihatethis wrote:Or some way that when i go to any site, it itself can determine which scripts are most likely needed and which are most likely crap!
This is not technically possible for NoScript.
You are looking for GoodScript ;) , which will be able to determine with certainty what's crap, but unfortunately it requires IE 9 (I don't know if it's compatible with later IE versions or with the new Edge).

EDIT Oh, I'm interpreting "it" in that sentence to mean NoScript, while Thrawn interpreting "it" to mean the site...
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

barbaz wrote:I'm having trouble determining if this is a request for help or a rant Image
Well, they're not mutually exclusive :D

Ragnarok, if needed, might be better than binning.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:Ragnarok, if needed, might be better than binning.
Ragnarök is what I mean by 'binned', sorry for not being clear. What did you think I meant?
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@dumbie: Your issue is not related to this thread, split to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21379
-