What kind of music do people here listen to?

The battleground for flame wars, off-topic derailments and spurious madness.
barbaz

What kind of music do people here listen to?

Post by barbaz »

title says it all

(Note: I don't personally care if the music contains "explicit" content... but others here might, so if you're gonna post such music, please post a content warning with it and sanitise any links, thanks.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20100101
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: What kind of music do people here listen to?

Post by Thrawn »

I don't listen to a *lot* of music, but when I do, I tend to go for easy listening...normally from Jamendo.com because I'm cheap like that. I did find an artist there I really enjoyed, Pianochocolate.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

All, though I try to avoid Country.
I like different more then common place.
"Fun" is fun. (/Fun/ is one of my music directories.)
More instrumental oriented rather then vocal.
Though a person with a really good (or different) voice is good too.
I don't find much of value in "today's" music.

If I picked a group, it would be Jethro Tull, but that's more of a what is your favorite color kind of deal.

Otherwise I'm apt to listen to anything.
Hard metal (that being thrash, screamer or similar) I've only recently come to listen to - sometimes.
Classical, mostly in the car, cause my windows are almost always open & it's the easiest to actually hear without having the radio blasting.
Country I just don't want to get into.
Not much of a Jazz person.

Variety.
From chants to "chipmunk".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.29.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You guys have good taste in music (IMHO) 8-)
therube wrote:"Fun" is fun.
Link please (broken if needed per OP)? I'm sure I won't get anywhere just searching that.
therube wrote:I don't find much of value in "today's" music.
+1 (to note: I didn't think that 7 years ago...)

Personally I listen to some of everything that's not country or modern "mainstream", but I'm *very* picky about classical music and soft rock (and lately jazz, too - just can't get into this "modern jazz" that sounds to me like total randomness and/or totally "dead"/"flat").

Lately, mostly into house music myself, not the mainstream stuff you hear around these days :roll: but e.g. artists like Roald Velden and also the collaborations of Kaskade & deadmau5.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

And I see you've seen Tunes @ mozillazine (requires login).
You can get an idea of some of the odd things I'll listen to by starting there & seeing what I've posted previously. (Until recently I'd been posting about 1 a day, from whatever period I started, so start at the end & page back.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

/Fun/ isn't a group, just various whatever they may be that brings a smile or causes the toe to tap... just something about a particular song, album, that makes it "fun" (for me).
Norah Jones, Shael Riley, Weezer, Manu Chao, Yann Tiersen, Cake, The Residents - Not Available, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, World Of Warcraft Soundtrack, Wilco - A Ghost is Born, Vanessa Mae, Vanessa Carlton - Harmonium, uba, Twelve Girls Band, Traveling Wilburys Volume 2, The Tiger Lillies - Shockheaded Peter, The Residents - best of, The Network - Money Money 2020, The Monkeys - Greatest Hits, The Duckets, The Dresden Dolls, Sufjan Stevens, Soda - Popcorn, Scissor Sisters, Rythem Kings - struttin' our stuff, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rockapella, ritchie blackmore, Richard Elliot, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part, Milieu - Songs We Found In The Sand, Metric, Macskajaj - Soundtrack, low_fat, Louis Armstrong - Greatest Hits, Leonard Richardson, Leonard Cohen, Lene Marlin, Kaizers, Johannes Linstead - Sol Luna Tierra, Jem, In-Grid - Rendez-Vous, Hurricane Smith, Harry Nilsson - Anthology - Personal Best, Gorillaz - Demon Days, Era, Divine Comedy, Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness, Brendan Benson - One Mississippi, Black Box Recorder, Ben Lee - Grandpaw Would, Baha Men - Holla!, Annie - Anniemal, Alex Abravanel, Albino Catfish, Akon - Trouble, Air, Classical Mozart - In the hall of the Mountain King (techno remix), Afroman - Colt 45, TI-BringEmOut, Joan Osborne - One of Us, Zita Swoon - The Bananaqueen, Al Stewart - On The Border, Wu Tang Clan - Never Again (Remedy), Aneka - Japanese Boy, Susan Vega - Luka, Postal Service - Such Great Heights214, Afroman - Becouse I got high, Fool's Garden - Lemon Tree, Die Zorros - 23 - die_zorros - final countdownLO, Die Zorros - 23 - die_zorros - final countdownHI, Die Zorros - 14 - die_zorros - der lachende sargLO, Die Zorros - 14 - die_zorros - der lachende sargHI, bill withers - Uses Me Up, bill withers - Lean On Me, Los Lobos - I Got Loaded, Los Lobos - Spanish Guitar (Desperado Soundtrack), Los Lobos - La Bamba, afroman - i got high, TracyUllman-TheyDontKnow, Paul Robeson - Sixteen Tons, Bananaqueen, Zita Swoon - My Bond With You And Your Planet- Disco!, Bruce Cockburn - If I Had A Rocket Launcher (acoustic) (160k), mary j blige - family affair, Rockapella - To NY(One) - 03 - Diamonds (128), Rockapella - Christmas - 12 - You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch, Urge Overkill - Girl You Ll Be A Woman Soon, Jewish Klezmer Wedding Dance Medley, Afroman - I Got High (melissa), Afroman - Lets all get drunk, Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction, Adam Ant - Goodie Two Shoes, The Verve (Urban Hymns) Bitter Sweet Symphony, the HIPPOS - Thinking, baris_manco_gulpembe
The last item Gülpembe I first had a midi. It just hits me right.
And how could anyone not like a song like, Because I Got High.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:And I see you've seen Tunes @ mozillazine (requires login)
Yep :)
(In fact, while you mention it, I've just updated that post with a couple more similar tunes.)
therube wrote:/Fun/ isn't a group, just various whatever they may be that brings a smile or causes the toe to tap... just something about a particular song, album, that makes it "fun" (for me).
Judging by what I recognize in that list, sounds... well.. fun ;)
Thanks, that'll keep me going for a while :)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSBwvXNUYc
Can't listen to this song and not dance!!!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Avant TriCore) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.63 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/4.3; Linux) KHTML/4.3.1 (like Gecko) Fedora/4.3.1-3.fc11
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Opera/9.64 (Macintosh; PPC Mac OS X; U; en) Presto/2.1.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.30
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

https://maone.net/ wrote: My interests, randomly sorted, are:
  • open web & information democracy
  • elegant software design
  • agile development methods
  • politics & history
  • writing, songwriting & music
  • philosophy (aesthetic, logic...)
  • martial arts
  • slow food
(emphasis mine)
@Giorgio, what about you, what kind of music do you listen to and/or make?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; NetBSD i386; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0 SeaMonkey/2.25