Computer / Software Weirdness thread

The battleground for flame wars, off-topic derailments and spurious madness.
barbaz

Computer / Software Weirdness thread

Post by barbaz »

Post here weird stuff that's happened to you computer- or software-wise, that isn't related to NoScript or FlashGot (as far as you know) :)

I'll start with these:
- YouTube video player borks if you change your system time
- Apple Java's applet browser plugin would throw an ArrayOutOfBoundsException to *everything* if it was out of date (interestingly, appletviewer doesn't)
- OpenBSD 5.5 + XFCE *required* a working Internet connection to open a Terminal, otherwise the whole system would hang
- Adobe Shockwave for Director on Mac OS X gets glitchy and sooooo.. slooooow... if it doesn't like your installed Flash player version
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Re: Computer / Software Weirdness thread

Post by barbaz »

The command

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -codecs | less
will, eventually, result in stdin acting REALLY odd: scrolling with the mouse wheel printing those characters at the less prompt instead of scrolling; and stdin is not printed in the terminal any more

I think it's due to ffmpeg sometimes printing a weird character along with the build info, because this seems not to happen if not piped to less, nor with these commands:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -codecs 2>&1 | less

# ffmpeg --help doesn't print build info if piped
ffmpeg --help | less

# not completely sure about this one?
ffmpeg -codecs | cat | less
And, pasting the output w/ build info in GVim consistently doesn't paste it where the cursor is.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

gnome-system-monitor saves, but does not load, user settings in two different [L]Ubuntu 14.04 machines for me :?: :(
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> build info

So you're saying that ffmpeg -codecs | less, by default automatically includes the build config info?

Cause I need to specifically redirect stderr to get that to happen

ffmpeg -codecs 2>&1 | less

What happens if you use -hide_banner

ffmpeg -hide_banners -codecs 2>&1 | less

In any case, not able to duplicate - on Windows (& mouse is ineffectual in less, as far as that goes).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0 SeaMonkey/2.38
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:> build info

So you're saying that ffmpeg -codecs | less, by default automatically includes the build config info?
Sort of... build info gets printed to the terminal (in stderr) & everything else (stdout) goes to less.
therube wrote:What happens if you use -hide_banner
Same but takes more tries to reproduce the problem

(That's weird ;) ... I saw it once with -hide_banner but not able to reproduce it again? :? )
therube wrote:In any case, not able to duplicate - on Windows (& mouse is ineffectual in less, as far as that goes).
FWIW seems independent of which terminal emulator I'm using (mostly use Konsole but also have Xfce4 terminal)
Also, I first saw this with an old git version (latest build from http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/), and while a self build of ffmpeg-2.7.2 mitigated this, it did not eradicate it.
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

build info gets printed to the terminal (in stderr) & everything else (stdout) goes to less
Yes, that's what I see too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0 SeaMonkey/2.38
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

- This VLC media player 2.2.2 used to forget volume levels when I had it configured to do so, but with no configuration change now A) it doesn't forget volume levels B) that setting is grayed out/disabled locked to the "Remember volume level" state :(
Plus, I can't even find where it's storing the volume level.

- (so this isn't really computer weirdness, but) it feels like http://xkcd.com/1678/ describes me pretty well, but I can't put my finger on why... :?
-