Which is the best way to configure ABE?

Discussions about the Application Boundaries Enforcer (ABE) module
therube
Ambassador

Re: Which is the best way to configure ABE?

Post by therube »

> WAN IP (Your-Internet-IP) @ LOCAL

http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 272#p20272
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 SeaMonkey/2.0.6
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

DarkBlood wrote:Thank you therube, I understand better now but still ABE settings are too complicated to common users :(
In fact "common users" shouldn't touch them without guidance.
The built-in rules already give significant protection against attacks from internet to intranet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
tlu

Post by tlu »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
DarkBlood wrote:Thank you therube, I understand better now but still ABE settings are too complicated to common users :(
In fact "common users" shouldn't touch them without guidance.
The built-in rules already give significant protection against attacks from internet to intranet.
Giorgio, are you also considering to enhance ABE in such a way that Noscript will become an alternative to CsFire? I understand that ABE already offers what CsFire does but it's simply not user-friendly enough to use it that way. Would be highly appreciated :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de-DE; rv:1.9.2.9pre) Gecko/20100730 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Namoroka/3.6.9pre
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

CsFire's behavior can be implemented with this one simple rule (to be put in the USER ruleset):

Code: Select all

# This rules allows authentication data to be sent with requests originated
# from the same base domain, stripping it off otherwise 
Site *
Accept from SELF++
Anon
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
tlu

Post by tlu »

Giorgio Maone wrote:CsFire's behavior can be implemented with this one simple rule (to be put in the USER ruleset):

Site *
Accept from SELF++
Anon
Ah - I had used the rule you had mentioned in http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 99&start=0& :

Site *
Accept from SELF
Anon
and that broke too many sites - but it was without the ++. I will try your new suggestion. Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de-DE; rv:1.9.2.9pre) Gecko/20100730 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Namoroka/3.6.9pre
Jahzoone

Post by Jahzoone »

Am I understanding this correctly, can I use this string to allow my own website?

My problem is ABE is blocking me from browsing to my own web pages since they are being served from the same IP.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

What message do you get, exactly?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
Jahzoone

Post by Jahzoone »

I have more information, problem happens when I do Google search for my site then click on search result, I get information bar at top of screen, actually I suppose this means ABE is working like it should? Perhaps I will just use bookmarks or is it safe to allow Google?
Nate

[deleted]

Post by Nate »

[deleted]
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100920 Fedora/3.6.10-1.fc13 Firefox/3.6.10
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Nate wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:CsFire's behavior can be implemented with this one simple rule (to be put in the USER ruleset):

Site *
Accept from SELF++
Anon
Could you please summarize why this rule is not included by default?
Because it would probably break any web site which spans across different domains linking back and forth (many financial sites have this kind of setup), so if you're not prepared to opt-in and possibly put exceptions to this behavior, it would come as an unpleasant surprise.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11
very old guy

Post by very old guy »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Nate wrote:

Site *
Accept from SELF++
Anon
Could you please summarize why this rule is not included by default?
Because it would probably break any web site which spans across different domains linking back and forth (many financial sites have this kind of setup), so if you're not prepared to opt-in and possibly put exceptions to this behavior, it would come as an unpleasant surprise.

Could someone please give an example of "opt-in and possibly put exceptions to this behavior"? Yahoo Mail! would be a fine test case I believe; popular and at times has been prone to Cross-Site risks, and absent exceptions there are layout problems at a minimum.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

very old guy wrote: Could someone please give an example of "opt-in and possibly put exceptions to this behavior"? Yahoo Mail! would be a fine test case I believe; popular and at times has been prone to Cross-Site risks, and absent exceptions there are layout problems at a minimum.

Site .yahoo.com .anyothersiteyouwanttoprotect.com
Accept from SELF++
Anon
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
herojoker

Post by herojoker »

According to this presentation and this paper (this thread is reference [8] there) CsFire allows "expected requests" / "trusted delegations" since version 1.0 which would get blocked with the above user rule.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0