ABE problem with Google stuff?

Discussions about the Application Boundaries Enforcer (ABE) module
nospamboz

ABE problem with Google stuff?

Post by nospamboz »

I've recently encountered two problems on two platforms that were both fixed by disabling ABE. One platform is OS X, the other Android, with Firefox 44 on both.

On OS X, I've been having problems with Google Maps for a while. When switching from Street to Earth mode, the process would hang, chewing up CPU. Refreshing the page ususally cleared the problem, at least for a while, but the initial hang was pretty consistent. By experiment I narrowed the problem down to NoScript, and then to ABE, and disabling ABE made the problem go away.

Then on Android with Youtube, I encountered a problem trying to play a video from a playlist. Most of the video page would load, but then the loading indicator got stuck. Refreshing the page allowed the video page to load and play fine. Recognizing the workaround, I decided to try disabling ABE on NSA, and again the problem was solved.

I'm guessing that maybe Youtube and Google share some javascript code which is causing problems with ABE. The fact that both responded to the refresh workaround may be telling someone something, but not me. I'm just a user.

If someone wants me to try some other experiments to figure this out, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
barbaz

Re: ABE problem with Google stuff?

Post by barbaz »

Do you have any custom ABE rules? If so can you please post them here?
nospamboz wrote:On OS X, I've been having problems with Google Maps for a while. When switching from Street to Earth mode, the process would hang, chewing up CPU. Refreshing the page ususally cleared the problem, at least for a while, but the initial hang was pretty consistent. By experiment I narrowed the problem down to NoScript, and then to ABE, and disabling ABE made the problem go away.
This? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18281
nospamboz wrote:Then on Android with Youtube, I encountered a problem trying to play a video from a playlist. Most of the video page would load, but then the loading indicator got stuck. Refreshing the page allowed the video page to load and play fine. Recognizing the workaround, I decided to try disabling ABE on NSA, and again the problem was solved.

I'm guessing that maybe Youtube and Google share some javascript code which is causing problems with ABE. The fact that both responded to the refresh workaround may be telling someone something, but not me. I'm just a user.
IIRC NoScript for desktop and NSA are completely different code, there is no reason to assume that just because the same component is the source of similar-sounding problem that both are related. Unless you see the YouTube problem also on NoScript desktop and disabling ABE makes that work?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-