Firefox 44 crash EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT with ABE

Discussions about the Application Boundaries Enforcer (ABE) module
tinstaafl

Firefox 44 crash EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT with ABE

Post by tinstaafl »

Running Firefox 44.0, release channel, with latest NoScript extension 2.9.0.2. Sent in a Mozilla Crash Report, but thought I should post here also.

Was trying to open this page on "The Atlantic", and Firefox crashed... http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... ly/433863/

Tried again several more times, but the page kept crashing Firefox.

Tried Firefox troubleshooting mode:
1. Safe mode - page rendered fine.
2. Normal mode - with all extensions disabled - page rendered fine.
3. Normal mode - just NoScript enabled - same crash. Able to consistently reproduce crash on this specific web page.
4. Tried disabling various features in NoScript, and eventually discovered by turning off ABE, the page rendered ok without crashing the browser.

This is the only page I can get the crash on. Tried many other pages at The Atlantic, but all others worked well.

So, obviously limited damage, but definitely broken in this instance. I have had a few other mysterious hit-and-run crashes in the past, but this is the first time I tried to troubleshoot. Ususally just open in Chrome instead :-)

Windows 7 Professional SP1, x86; Avira Free; Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit; Windows Firewall; Firefox & Noscript (Since the beginning of time ...)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
barbaz

Re: Firefox 44 crash EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT with ABE

Post by barbaz »

tinstaafl wrote:Sent in a Mozilla Crash Report,
Link please?
tinstaafl wrote:4. Tried disabling various features in NoScript, and eventually discovered by turning off ABE, the page rendered ok without crashing the browser.
Please test again with the following changes, one at a time:
- set noscript.doNotTrack.enabled to false (this feature uses ABE)
- disable custom rules/rulesets (if any)
- disable default SYSTEM ruleset

Do you have any custom ABE rules or custom ABE configuration at all?

Does it crash also in a clean profile with only NoScript installed and all default settings?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
tinstaafl

Post by tinstaafl »

barbaz wrote: tinstaafl wrote:
Sent in a Mozilla Crash Report,

Link please?
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 81b2160129

Tried all of your suggestions (did not have any custom rulesets). No luck until I tried a clean Firefox profile, with a default install of NoScript.

Now the page did not crash Firefox using the clean profile.

Looked to see if anything was set differently in my normal Firefox profile, as far as NoScript settings go. I use a mostly default config.

Found one ABE setting, "Allow sites to push their own rulesets", that was enabled. It was disabled in the clean default profile.

Unchecked it and my normal Firefox works ok on this web page now.

Edit: Tried as hard as I could to test the reverse direction, and make it crash in the clean profile. No luck, imported my white lists, added all my other extensions. Nothing makes it crash. Just Firefox being Firefox, I assume?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

This thread is same issue as viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20921 , locking duplicate bug report. Please continue in the other thread.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-